A Video: What I Hated and What I Loved About MSC Seaside

Spaniel Lover

The same old nonsense of MSC must do this or must do that! No, MSC do not need to do anything different than they are doing now apart from a few minor things.

If you want more Americanism you have enough ships to choose from, why should MSC change just so you can have another ship just the same.

People happily pay for Holland America and Princess (both European lines), And both owned by Carnival!

Sidari, I followed posts by you and others for over a year and a half while Seaside was being built. Thanks, we learned a lot.

I am glad our sailing finally came up on Jan 27 to see for myself and form an opinion. Jim is spot on about the dinner buffet problem. There are more people than you think that have dinner at the buffet. We looked over the deck 16 offerings almost daily at dinner for our own info(instead of as reported by others). We got off the Seaside and boarded the RCI Empress of The Seas across the street for a 5 nighter.

As stated by others above, the dinner buffet somewhat mirrors the Main Dining Room offerings as well as many other choices. Seemed to be a good many people there in the evenings as we have seen on many past cruises. I think MSC has a product that can draw US customers, but IMO some changes need to be made if substantial inroads are to be made.

You lost me when you said on a cruise you eat most of your dinners in the buffet........

Well, he didn't loose me, but confused me in such regard.

With the cruisers history (especially since 2014, Owners Suites, the Haven, new Harmony, new Allure, new Anthem and new Escape), and apparently he is a highly intellectually and talented individual, I find it hard to believe the "eat most of the dinners in the buffet."

If true, WOW, were some unbelieble dining experiences on the above-mentioned ships were really missed!

Obviously there are issues with North Americans (some, a small % out of 5,000 a week cruisers on Seaside) wanting an 'Americanized ship experience.

With all of the new ships built in the past 5 years, and all of the new ones coming out, I don't understand (1) why such dissatisfieds' don't simply book traditional lines and, to a greater extent, (2) why the detailed, lengthy, narratives and videos of why MSC if a failure.

Quite 'over the top IMO. Simply 'move on and enjoy what you like.

Equally important, let those who enjoy MSC enjoy MSC without the extraordinary and contrarian "effort" and "scale."

Again, 5,000 a week on Seaside; and almost a mathematically disregarded negligible (but dug in and hardy) % of unhappy campers.

Again, worth noting this is a very high quality presentation of one's opinion though. Very well developed and presented.

October 2017: Norwegian Sky to Havana in the Owner's Suite

September 2017 Carnival Vista, in a Havana Suite

April 2017 Harmony Of The Seas

January 2017 Norwegian Pearl Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite!

January 2017 Allure Of The Seas

October/November 2016 Viking Star

July 2016 Liberty Of The Seas

March/April 2016 Anthem Of The Seas

January 2016 Norwegian Escape - The Haven!

November 2015 Carnival Miracle - Mexican Riviera

September 2015 Carnival Breeze B2B

April 2015 Independence Of The Seas B2B

February 2015 Carnival Freedom 12-day repositioning cruise

November 2014 Royal Caribbean's Allure Of The Seas

September 2014 Norwegian Getaway - Haven Spa Suite!

June 2014 Coral Princess Alaska cruisetour

April/May 2014 Carnival Glory aft wrap B2B

January 2014 Sapphire Princess 4-day

December 2013 Carnival Sunshine Captain's Suite

September 2013 Carnival Conquest aft-wrap

April 2013 Carnival Breeze B2B

October 2012 Carnival Inspiration

August 2012 Carnival Magic B2B

March 2012 Carnival Spirit

September 2011 Carnival Valor B2B

March/April 2011 Carnival Glory B2B

January 2011 Carnival Spirit

November 2010 Carnival Spirit

February 2010 Carnival Splendor

August 2009 Carnival Elation

April 2009 Carnival Paradise

January 2009 Carnival Spirit

April 2008 Norwegian Star

Jan 2008 Carnival Elation

June 1996 MS Holiday

Thank you for the review. (Love all of your reviews btw). Totally agree with you about the buffet. We spent two weeks on Ruby Princess in January and ate in the buffet every single day! (for the reasons you already stated). As you said, to each his own. Am now re-thinking our plans to spend two weeks on Seaside next year.

Great video and review in your other post Jim. We are looking to book a cruise for March 2019 and had settled on the Seaside. After watching this vidoe last night, my wife said "Oh, I don't want to go on the Seaside anymore after watching that." I was like, just hold on now. We were going to definitely book a Yacht Club suite and we like sit down dinners. To each their own, so I don't care if the buffet is limited and not the best. Or the entertainment.

With a 10 and 13 year old, most of our time is spent at the pool or on the waterslides or other activities and beach/shore excursions. That's why we LOVED the Escape on NCL. And if you asked the kids the best thing about it, the big blue tube slide. They went down it about 100 times easily in each week we went. Went on the Escape two years in a row but looking to try a different ship and ittenerary. Though the kids would go a third time or on Bliss.

Given this and the Yacht Club (for a price lower than NCL, Carnival or RCCL), the Seaside may be worth a shot in our opinion. Never had a bad vacation, even if some things weren't my favorite. And we may leave with the same feeling as you, not for us. Who knows? Honestly, one of the major sticking points for me right now is that I don't want to be locked into a dining time or eat with strangers. We're not the type to want to make new friends. lol. Just want a relaxing dinner with each other to recap the day. Liked the freestyle dining on Norwegian.

The other ships we are considering are the Horizon and Symphony of the Seas. My daughter will be almost 12. Not quite. I would consider the Horizon if they allow us to stay in the Cabana suites. And the only downside to the Symphony is they are telling me the only rooms (other than the high priced suites) for four people are with a queen bed and a sleeper sofa. I like my son, by I don't really want to spend 7 nights on a sleeper sofa with him. lol. Escape's set up with the Pullman bed above the sofa bed was great.

After watching the video, I too was taken aback at first...but then I realized. A lot of what Jim was disappointed in wouldn't disappoint me. That doesnt make him wrong or me right...When I was on the Divina I realized that MSC seems not to focus on buffet dinners...so I accepted that. Deep water pools are common on most ships, and I live in Florida, so the pool depth isn't that big of deal to me as I have pool access in my life year round. Most new ships that I have been on do not have self serve laundry...would I like it? Yep for the reasons Jim mentioned. But it doesn't bother me enough to make or break my trip. Its important when reading reviews, to then think: Does what this review say really impact me?

Im going in 5 weeks. I cannot wait. I have read a ton of reviews. Im glad Jim took the time to do what he did...All information, if accurate, is helpful. With that said, I do not discount his issues. They are his. I may or may not have my own. Ill be sure to share them. :)

Agree wholeheartedly. I found it very helpful. In fact Jim, I've found your reviews and videos some of the best out there. They are to the point but with enough context and color where I get something out of them. If that makes sense?

Few people want to spend several hours watching vlogs where people are talking about themselves and pointing out statues and paintings on the ship ... Several minutes of them walking to dinner and talking about nothing inparticular ... I want to scream get to the point already!!! Ha.

Well done and I can see how you get enough from YouTube earnings to keep cruising and then some!

After watching the video, I too was taken aback at first...but then I realized. A lot of what Jim was disappointed in wouldn't disappoint me. That doesnt make him wrong or me right...When I was on the Divina I realized that MSC seems not to focus on buffet dinners...so I accepted that. Deep water pools are common on most ships, and I live in Florida, so the pool depth isn't that big of deal to me as I have pool access in my life year round. Most new ships that I have been on do not have self serve laundry...would I like it? Yep for the reasons Jim mentioned. But it doesn't bother me enough to make or break my trip. Its important when reading reviews, to then think: Does what this review say really impact me?

Im going in 5 weeks. I cannot wait. I have read a ton of reviews. Im glad Jim took the time to do what he did...All information, if accurate, is helpful. With that said, I do not discount his issues. They are his. I may or may not have my own. Ill be sure to share them. :)

Yip this ☝️.

Can’t say there was much in the video that would upset me. Well put together video but there was nothing in there that is anywhere near to putting me off sailing. Pick any hotel on trip advisor and the reviews vary from never again to best we’ve ever been to. Really looking forward to cruise and no doubt some things will irk me, some things will be great but I will enjoy it because I’m not looking for faults, I’m looking to have a blast !

I loved his video so much I booked a cruise on Seaside and I din not planned too LOL.

I always find it funny that everyone else knows what MSC needs to do! what people need to do is accept that MSC is not and will never be an American cruise line and that they do things different, travel agents need to be realistic with their customers and ensure that they know what they are buying into and making sure that they understand that they are not sailing with Carnival or NCL or Princess and that their expectations need to be different.

That way there will not be customers who are annoyed that they did not know what they were getting, a good place for them to start would be giving customers a good explanation of the various experience levels and what comes with them. From the reviews this issue stands out quite clear.

MSC might need to tweek a few things here and there but to make major changes just to suit a few people would be a step in the wrong direction.

If MSC is not for you then you have plenty of other choices.

Plus 1!

Ivi

I have watched your video. Thanks for the effort. I do understand that you list the things YOU like and hate from MSC Seaside. Different people, different tastes.

I would just like to mention two points in which we would strongly disagree. First MSC is an Italian cruiseline, it will remain Italian hopefully and it is good so. Opera and classic music belongs not only to the Italian culture but it is a part of Europe and of those citizens of the world independent of the location. We hope that MSC continues providing that type of cultural experiences.

Second, we are delighted to hear that the swimming pools are deep enough to actually allow swimming. How we hate all those people standing on a pool, chatting with each other without any consideration for those, who actually would like to swim. After all it is called a swimming pool isn't it?

Ivi

I loved his video so much I booked a cruise on Seaside and I din not planned too LOL.

You hit the nail on the head. Jimzim is just providing information (which is sorely needed given MSC confusing website and multitude of room/experience combinations).

Some may be dissuaded from booking, but others will be persuaded to book.

So I just booked a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite and couldn't be happier with my choice. The base price for 4 in the YC is $1K less than RCCL's Symphony and $2K plus less than the Havana suite on Carnival. I realize these lines are apples to oranges. BUT, the Seaside appears to be a great ship with a great itinerary and besides the private area, pool and restaurant, drinks, minibar and room service all free. To boot, the gentleman who helped me with my reservation said we could choose a table for 4 (no dining with strangers) for anytime dining in the YC. The only down side is, unlike NCL, I was told, we could book a room with the king bed, double sofa sleeper, and pull down bed, BUT, they might switch us to a YC room without the pulldown bed if a party of 5 books and needs the room. That just means I will have to sleep next to the teenage son if so. Shame, MSC, Royal and others don't have that pull down bed more widespread. Know it would cost more but a better sleeping arrangement.

They are a failure in the North American market, just like they have been for the last ten years! Their pricing on this new "ship of the year" proves it. Oasis of the Seas, had a premium pricing level, for years, yet Seaside is bargain basement, from the very beginning? Yet you say, MSC is doing everything right, and don't need to do anything different: are you completely crazy?

You are very funny. They are failure so much that they build new mega ship every year :rolleyes: Oasis was first mega ship that why the price was so big, now they cannot sell it for cheap even. Why would MSC do something different? Because 10 Americans on this forums did not like it? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I'm not convinced. My wrinkled stuff gets steamed in the bathroom with the shower on hot. I can't imagine a lady with an expensive garment using a self serve laundromat. Or hardly anyone else hanging around the laundromat waiting for their stuff to be done. And how many self serve laundries would a ship have to have for one to be right down the hall? One on each deck?

I like the NCL approach where you can send a bag of dirty stuff out for a set price regardless of what you put in it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Not sure I would ever use the ship laundry on anything "nice" though. We did send our shirts and dresses out to be pressed on NCL's Escape and were happy with the results. But don't want all my stuff, underwear and $75 dress shirt thrown in the same machine on "hot" with industrial strength soap. Just ask my wife how picky I am. I tend to wash my work/dress clothes myself even at home as I am afraid how my own wife will treat them. lol

I have watched your video. Thanks for the effort. I do understand that you list the things YOU like and hate from MSC Seaside. Different people, different tastes.

I would just like to mention two points in which we would strongly disagree. First MSC is an Italian cruiseline, it will remain Italian hopefully and it is good so. Opera and classic music belongs not only to the Italian culture but it is a part of Europe and of those citizens of the world independent of the location. We hope that MSC continues providing that type of cultural experiences.

Second, we are delighted to hear that the swimming pools are deep enough to actually allow swimming. How we hate all those people standing on a pool, chatting with each other without any consideration for those, who actually would like to swim. After all it is called a swimming pool isn't it?

Ivi

The downside to this, you realize, if you are on a cruise with my family, you can look forward to my son doing "cannonballs" into the pool. My wife wondered how the people in the Yacht Club will appreciate this. haha

The downside to this, you realize, if you are on a cruise with my family, you can look forward to my son doing "cannonballs" into the pool. My wife wondered how the people in the Yacht Club will appreciate this. haha

How old is your son? "Cannonballs"? I am not sure we would like that. :loudcry:

He will be 14 when we sail but is young at heart. Cannonballs = forming your body into a sphere and trying to make a big splash in the pool. Perhaps this is why some lines require a certain age to stay in such suites. Still, you would think his parents would teach him better at that age.

Not sure I would ever use the ship laundry on anything "nice" though. We did send our shirts and dresses out to be pressed on NCL's Escape and were happy with the results. But don't want all my stuff, underwear and $75 dress shirt thrown in the same machine on "hot" with industrial strength soap. Just ask my wife how picky I am. I tend to wash my work/dress clothes myself even at home as I am afraid how my own wife will treat them. lol
I agree with you on the nice clothes. We mostly just send out underwear and t-shirts. Sometimes just don't like to pack dirty stuff for the trip home.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Our bath in our hotel in London this evening...[ATTACH]414364[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the picture. This is what many Italian hotel bathrooms are like. I believe that that design is more conducive to sitting down in the bathtub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk