Target market for Celebrity?

michelle028

Celebrity is trying to appeal to a younger demo and succeeding in my opinion. I’ve travelled with them since my 30’s and never felt out of place.

Perhaps a better way to think of it, X is targeting the executive suite. You won’t find many laborers, contractors, retail clerks or hairdressers on board. Most of the guests are what I call Audi Upscale.

Wow.

Well over 300 days on Celebrity all over the world have met LOTS of exactly the demographic that you clearly disdain. The executive suite? What a laugh. There is a very popular book which will remain nameless that classifies your "Audi Upscale" as Audi Axxhxles. Why? Because of their pretentious attitudes.

'Nuff said.

True. Having spent my professional life in retail, oh boy do some big spenders think their britches don't stink.

I laughed so much at this - never heard it before :'):')

And working in retail has given me the compassion for almost every one in any service industry.
Quite agree. I worked in retail on a Saturday as a student (decades ago!) and some people can be so ‘challenging’.

Back to the OP’s query, a few years ago we did 2 back to back cruises in the Med with Celebrity (Constellation). The first week was Greek Isles and wholly in August (school holidays). The second week was a longer cruise, mostly in September and the passenger demographic changed noticeably. The ship had a much livelier vibe during the first week with a younger crowd on board.

The target market is one thing ... the reality is often very different.

The problem is that most younger people can't afford it. That's the primary reason you don't see more. And if those young couples have kids they are unlikely to go with Celebrity. I'm not sure why (or if) they are trying to target the young hip crowd because having just grown out of that phase I can tell you I would have been unlikely to go with Celebrity. We have kids and we did take them on a Celebrity cruise in their mid to late teens and they hated it, they much prefer RCI or NCL. 10 years on and we cruise without our girls now (we did take them on the Equinox in June though and had a pretty good time). Personally I think they are dreaming if they think they are going to attract a younger crowd in decent numbers.

I hear people say that about Celebrity’s prices and I don’t understand it. We only have done 7 day trips in Jan/Dec for several years. When you take the perks into account, Celebrity is consistently cheaper and a better value, especially if you want a drink package.

When we compare Equinox vs Adventure of the Seas for next year, base fare is roughly the same at about $2400. Celebrity comes with premium drink package, WiFi, prepaid grats and $300OBC (plus $175 more from a TA). Adventure offers $75 OBC, no drinks, no WiFi, no prepaid grats. It would add nearly $1500 to include those same extras on Royal. That’s a no brainer for me to go with Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I laughed so much at this - never heard it before :'):')

Quite agree. I worked in retail on a Saturday as a student (decades ago!) and some people can be so ‘challenging’.

The way I always heard it was that they don’t think their $... t (crap) stinks but their farts prove different or gives them away.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I hear people say that about Celebrity’s prices and I don’t understand it. We only have done 7 day trips in Jan/Dec for several years. When you take the perks into account, Celebrity is consistently cheaper and a better value, especially if you want a drink package.

When we compare Equinox vs Adventure of the Seas for next year, base fare is roughly the same at about $2400. Celebrity comes with premium drink package, WiFi, prepaid grats and $300OBC (plus $175 more from a TA). Adventure offers $75 OBC, no drinks, no WiFi, no prepaid grats. It would add nearly $1500 to include those same extras on Royal. That’s a no brainer for me to go with Celebrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not celebrity's prices. Most 30-40 year olds I know can't comfortably afford a $5k+ vacation. Which is what that $2400 cruise will cost once you add in excursions, flights, hotels, cabs, spending money etc. (If they have kids that cost can nearly double). We took two of my daughters on a 7 day equinox cruise last June. Got a great deal on it (around $1100pp with go best perks), the grand total I spent was just over $8k once all the other costs were added in and we didn't splurge. We walked Key West and just took a cab to the beach in Grand Cayman.

I work in a large engineering dept with loads of 30-40 year old engineers making good money. Very few of them take expensive vacations. They are paying off student loans, trying to save for a house, a wedding etc. They go camping, to vegas for a weekend, skiing, or local 3/4 day cruises on Carnival. etc. Smaller less expensive trips seem to be the norm. And when I was in that age group I was in the same "boat". So that's why I just don't see Celebrity (or most other cruise lines) attracting a lot of younger people.

Celebrity is trying to appeal to a younger demo and succeeding in my opinion. I’ve travelled with them since my 30’s and never felt out of place.

Perhaps a better way to think of it, X is targeting the executive suite. You won’t find many laborers, contractors, retail clerks or hairdressers on board. Most of the guests are what I call Audi Upscale.

Kind of hijacking this thread, but ----- I plan on retiring the end of next year and I drive a company car. I've started to look at my options and spent one day going around looking at cars The Audi dealership had to be the most worthless one I visited. I was inside looking at crossovers for at least 15 minutes and was never approached by anyone. Usually car sales people pounce, but I guess Audi sales are so good they didn't need my business.

Kind of hijacking this thread, but ----- I plan on retiring the end of next year and I drive a company car. I've started to look at my options and spent one day going around looking at cars The Audi dealership had to be the most worthless one I visited. I was inside looking at crossovers for at least 15 minutes and was never approached by anyone. Usually car sales people pounce, but I guess Audi sales are so good they didn't need my business.

Most of the luxury dealerships in my area are like that. They certainly don't pounce on you like at a Ford/chevy/dodge dealership. I've often had to hunt down a salesperson. It's a slightly different car buying experience when you deal with the luxury brands. And boy is it a difference experience when they break out of warranty $$$$$:mad:

What is a Silent Disco?!! I have never heard of this!!!:confused::confused:

Instead of the DJ playing music using regular speakers, everyone gets headphones and you tune into one of 3 channels that the DJ or DJs are playing. If you take the headphones off there is no music. The headphones have colored lights that correspond to the channel you are listening to, so you can see what other people are listening/dancing to. Sounds completely stupid, but it's a lot of fun.

I was on the Relection and in the hallway talking to my cabin attendant because he approached me about a cabin issue that he noticed and was getting it repaired. I didn’t notice it but he did while servicing the cabin

This young uppity American Princess butted in demanding something as if I wasn’t there and started in on the attendant that wasn’t hers. As she walked away the male with her said that she was very rude and she said back in a entitled voice that she didn’t care because she has more money than we do. I was going to respond back telling her to use some and buy a little class but didn’t want to be at her level.

Were you standing in the hallway with your checkbook open? How did she know she had more money than you? ;)

Most of the luxury dealerships in my area are like that. They certainly don't pounce on you like at a Ford/chevy/dodge dealership. I've often had to hunt down a salesperson. It's a slightly different car buying experience when you deal with the luxury brands. And boy is it a difference experience when they break out of warranty $$$$$:mad:

Would agree with you except I also went to Cady, Infinity, and Lexus,(and Honda and Nissian)- all were polite and helpful. My husband drives a Jag and I'm used to dealing with "luxury" car people - the Audi experience was just strange.