Target market for Celebrity?

michelle028

Celebrity is trying to appeal to a younger demo and succeeding in my opinion. I’ve travelled with them since my 30’s and never felt out of place.

Perhaps a better way to think of it, X is targeting the executive suite. You won’t find many laborers, contractors, retail clerks or hairdressers on board. Most of the guests are what I call Audi Upscale.

I don’t know about you but I’ve worked in the financial industry for 27 years and do quite well. I’m pretty sure in this market plumbers and electricians are pulling in twice what I make.

Perhaps a better way to think of it, X is targeting the executive suite. You won’t find many laborers, contractors, retail clerks or hairdressers on board. Most of the guests are what I call Audi Upscale.

This is both incredibly offensive and completely inaccurate.

You won't find many labourers, contractors, retails clerks or hairdressers on board. Most of the guests are what I call Audi Upscale

Wow, I am a sales clerk who travels in Concierge Class on Celebrity and I am Elite on both Celebrity and Princess. I just detest snobs and I don't display my tier while I am on board the ship. I am sorry Cuervosar that you feel sales clerks like me are not part of Celebrity, but the last time I checked I was getting emails from both Celebrity and Princess selling me a cruise and I get their quarterly dividends from the shares I hold in both RCL and CCL! Yet I am still just a sales clerk.

Celebrity is trying to appeal to a younger demo and succeeding in my opinion. I’ve travelled with them since my 30’s and never felt out of place.

A couple "over the road" cross country truck drivers boarding Reflection tomorrow for 11 nights . We drive a Peterbilt .

Hi all,

First time on Celebrity....I have cruised on RCI, Carnival, NCL and Princess. I cruise for the itinerary and not for the ship. So I'm super excited to try a new cruiseline!

We are 30somethings.

From your own experience with Celebrity..

what do you think the average ages of cruisers are?

On a side note...

I'm travelling next month for Spring break:cool: time to say bye to the snow!!! Can't wait!!

Older than you.

Just sailed for 12 days on the silhouette in January. This made me laugh. Talked to many down to earth blue collar workers while we were onboard. You don't need to be an upscale executive to sail celebrity

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This made me laugh. Talked to many down to earth blue collar workers while we were onboard. You don't need to be an upscale executive to sail celebrity

Shhh, I like to pretend I'm an upscale baller because I sail Celebrity;) But I prefer to drive my Ford Mustang over a Audi any day!

I don’t know about you but I’ve worked in the financial industry for 27 years and do quite well. I’m pretty sure in this market plumbers and electricians are pulling in twice what I make.

I am an insurance and financial services agent and my plumber clients are all millionaires. No sh*t. I’m dead serious.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am an insurance and financial services agent and my plumber clients are all millionaires. No sh*t. I’m dead serious.

I don't find that hard to believe. I just spent $3k to have a new water heater installed and the water heater was only $800 of that..... $2200 is a fair chunk of change for 4 hours work.:rolleyes:

Wow, aren't you fancy? Hope you're not on the Summit sailing August 26th out of NJ... or else our working-class germs might get on you. My husband is a steamfitter in NYC, I'm a stay-at-home-mom (who worked in retail - gasp!), we are late 30's, live on Long Island in a 600K house, and our entire family is contractors that do quite well (and helped us build this house).

Oh - and we're staying in a suite on that Summit sailing AND since you wanna think we're less than you, I'm going to toss in that we just returned from WDW with our toddler, where we easily dropped over 6K and didn't even blink.

I'm not one to toot my own horn, but you are quite rude. And our cars are a Focus and a CR-V.

I'm in my 30s and my husband turned 40 recently. We were about 20-30 years younger than most on our 10-day Alaska cruise in 2015. The average age went up about 15 years in S class -- most meals in Luminae we happily conversed with people whose grandchildren were older than I am.

That said, we are quieter people who do really active daytime excursions and go to bed early. Going on vacation without our toddlers is a treat and we welcome the opportunity for uninterrupted sleep. :)

It really does depend on the length and itinerary. Longer trips and more exotic itinerary will have significantly older average ages. Our odometers just clicked over into our 50s and we feel young on most of our cruises (we tend to do longer cruises though). On a summer 7 day on the equinox last year there were more younger folks but I bet the average age was still around 50-60. If you like to party all night you might find Celebrity a challenge. You can have a lot of fun on a Celebrity ship but most nights at the stroke of 12 everyone turns into pumpkins and vanishes.

Not just length and itinerary, but also time of year. We only take longer cruises because otherwise it’s not worth the airfare. However, we have to travel in school holiday times and always find a younger crowd during these peak holiday sailings. Christmas is usually a multi-generation time where many families travel together. Same for the Med in July and August: many younger families cruising during the peak school holiday season.

Out of curiosity, how would you categorize the brands you’ve already sailed?

We’re late 40’s and trying Celebrity from Carnival and cruising as a couple sans kids. We still book Carnival for family vacations due to a more kid friendly setting on Carnival versus more adults on Celebrity.

We see Celebrity as younger than Princess (for a 10-day Carib cruise), but won’t know for sure until we sail in Mar 2019.

Between all the lines - RCI, Carnival, and NCL and Princess - I found Princess to have the "oldest "(late 60s +)" crowd - the other lines more of a mix of ages.

I went on a 7 day Spring Break cruise in 2015 with Princess. I had an amazing time.

People were great...I met a 40somethings couple that I'm still friends with today (who happened to live in the same city as me!!) and the ship (Regal Princess) was gorgeous.

P.S When I posted my original question - I was very curious as to what the target demographic is for Celebrity because I did not know....I will post a review when I go on my cruise next month.

Thx for the info !!

Ps. Never tried a silent disco... Looking forward to trying it! How many times do they have it per 7 day cruise?

On the Silhouette last November, they did the Silent Disco twice on a 7-night cruise. Both times it was amazingly fun!!!

I'm not one to toot my own horn, but you are quite rude. And our cars are a Focus and a CR-V.

Money doesn’t mean class

I was on the Relection and in the hallway talking to my cabin attendant because he approached me about a cabin issue that he noticed and was getting it repaired. I didn’t notice it but he did while servicing the cabin

This young uppity American Princess butted in demanding something as if I wasn’t there and started in on the attendant that wasn’t hers. As she walked away the male with her said that she was very rude and she said back in a entitled voice that she didn’t care because she has more money than we do. I was going to respond back telling her to use some and buy a little class but didn’t want to be at her level.

I wouldn’t still be cruising Celebrity if it was that upscale or who they wanted. And if they were that upscale I don’t think they would be cruisng on X as there are other lines that are more exclusive

It doesn’t bother me what the ages of the others are unless there are a bunch of screaming kids, crying babies or rude obnoxious people.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Money doesn’t mean class

I was on the Relection and in the hallway talking to my cabin attendant because he approached me about a cabin issue that he noticed and was getting it repaired. I didn’t notice it but he did while servicing the cabin

This young uppity American Princess butted in demanding something as if I wasn’t there and started in on the attendant that wasn’t hers. As she walked away the male with her said that she was very rude and she said back in a entitled voice that she didn’t care because she has more money than we do. I was going to respond back telling her to use some and buy a little class but didn’t want to be at her level.

I wouldn’t still be cruising Celebrity if it was that upscale or who they wanted. And if they were that upscale I don’t think they would be cruisng on X as there are other lines that are more exclusive

It doesn’t bother me what the ages of the others are unless there are a bunch of screaming kids, crying babies or rude obnoxious people.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

OMG.......I am sure you have heard the saying "You can't fix stupid"....sounds like it pertains to the gal in the hallway.......

as for money/class.......she was classless so no amount of $ she has matters............

Money doesn’t mean class

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

True. Having spent my professional life in retail, oh boy do some big spenders think their britches don't stink. And working in retail has given me the compassion for almost every one in any service industry. Yes, there are some bad waitpeople, sales employees, hotel staff, etc, but I find that they are few and far between.

Sounds like the male with the gal in the hall should take the advice not to stick with people who are rude to those they perceive as "less-than." That woman sounds vile and good on you for holding your tongue. I wouldn't have been able to (obviously, lol).

We were on the Silhouette last week. We’re in our late 30’s and were some of the youngest on board. They need to kick up their effort to attract younger people if that’s what they are after. There did seem to be two groups of passengers. Ones that hung near the coffee shop and library all day and were in their cabins by 7pm, and the others that came out later. I’m actually a little surprised that so many older people enjoy the vibe as much as they do. It does seem like X is aiming for a W Hotel type feel.

I think our cruise was an even older crowd because of the timing. It was an Eastern Route with final payment in the midst of the hurricanes. There were a significant number of cabins available inside final payment. I assume many of the retired people with more flexibility jumped on a lower priced last minute cabins.

We were on the Silhouette last week. We’re in our late 30’s and were some of the youngest on board. They need to kick up their effort to attract younger people if that’s what they are after.

I’m actually a little surprised that so many older people enjoy the vibe as much as they do. It does seem like X is aiming for a W Hotel type feel.

The problem is that most younger people can't afford it. That's the primary reason you don't see more. And if those young couples have kids they are unlikely to go with Celebrity. I'm not sure why (or if) they are trying to target the young hip crowd because having just grown out of that phase I can tell you I would have been unlikely to go with Celebrity. We have kids and we did take them on a Celebrity cruise in their mid to late teens and they hated it, they much prefer RCI or NCL. 10 years on and we cruise without our girls now (we did take them on the Equinox in June though and had a pretty good time). Personally I think they are dreaming if they think they are going to attract a younger crowd in decent numbers.

Between all the lines - RCI, Carnival, and NCL and Princess - I found Princess to have the "oldest "(late 60s +)" crowd - the other lines more of a mix of ages.

I went on a 7 day Spring Break cruise in 2015 with Princess. I had an amazing time.

People were great...I met a 40somethings couple that I'm still friends with today (who happened to live in the same city as me!!) and the ship (Regal Princess) was gorgeous.

P.S When I posted my original question - I was very curious as to what the target demographic is for Celebrity because I did not know....I will post a review when I go on my cruise next month.

In my research I looked at online cruiser posted videos to see ship demographics from various cruises.

When I compared Princess to Celebrity, I found Celebrity to skew slightly younger. Of course itinerary and cruise length impact age demos.

Looking forward to your future review and reply.

Have a great cruise!