How as a result of the latest increase do you intend to tip on their next P&O Cruise?

kalos

As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. As a result of the latest increase, How will you tip on your next P&O Cruise ?

• YES I will pay the new auto service charge
    • NO I will not pay the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay in person without the new service charge
    • Prefer to pay the staff in person as well as the new service charge
    • I may reduce the new auto service to what I deem to be fair

Easy answer, don't travel with P&O again. After the fiasco of our Adonia suite being cancelled we decided not to travel with them again. Then we went on Silver Sea..... no tips, total butler service, fantastic!

Peter and Jenny

Intresting ..we had a back to back in a suite cancelled on Adonia (our first time ever in a suite) .Pando are a business..Adonia was not large enough for them to keep her and be in the black on her costs. Silver sea I am sure is nice, but whenever I have looked just one cruise from the UK (do not fly now so that is the choice of one cruise). If pando could charge what silver sea charge then they would have kept her..but the majority of people who sail with pando are not prepared to spend that sort of money just on the cruise fare.

Sorted it, the adult only ships can continue with traditional 'tipping' and the large family ships can have 'tips' included in the fare. The new cruisers on the larger ships will find this better as they are not used to this faux 'tipping' malarky ;p

I shall do what I always do... Not tip and do you know what? I couldn`t care less what anybody else does...

.............seriously how many threads do we need on tipping...

Do whatever makes you feel happiest, do whatever gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside

but for gods sake - enjoy your blooming holiday on the ship...

For those that comment about you subsidising me and the other passengers that dont tip -- Thank you - if this was facebook I`d give you a thumbs up !!!!!!!

I really don't see why anyone would disagree with this post. Its a fact that you are entitled to do what you want about tipping. P&O encourage you to do just that. Therein lies the whole problem. If you decide to pay the optional service charge when a lot of people don't then you can't complain because that is their and your option. Also if you decide to give cash tips for good service then its your option.

Unless P&O include the service charge then this discussion will go on and on.

We are a family of 4 and on our last cruise (14 days) on Cunard the auto tip came to £600. Needless to say a lot more than we tip on a similar all inclusive trip on land based holiday. No I don’t think it’s fair that some passengers should pay the wages and others not. Also all crew with officers status are also asked to contribute the same amount so some of the sums mentioned obviously don’t add up if this is simply “tips” rather than an ever decreasing group of passengers/officers paying the wages.

Then again the old system were some cabin stewards were earning unbelievable sums of money for work often carried out behind the scenes by others was not fair either. They each got 20 cabins so if everyone left say on average £25 for 2 weeks that’s £50x20 equal £1000 a month in tip alone (this was quite normal in the past). Hence there was a big difference between changing the sheet and washing the sheets for example.

I really don't see why anyone would disagree with this post. Its a fact that you are entitled to do what you want about tipping. P&O encourage you to do just that. Therein lies the whole problem. If you decide to pay the optional service charge when a lot of people don't then you can't complain because that is their and your option. Also if you decide to give cash tips for good service then its your option.

I agree it's P&O's fault entirely. They should either include tips in the price of the cruise or keep the auto-tipping but do NOT allow anyone to remove them unless they have a serious issue which should be investigated. They and the passengers who don't pay tips are being unfair to the staff and the passengers who do.

True thats why gratuitys should be included in the cruise fare.

I agree it's P&O's fault entirely. They should either include tips in the price of the cruise or keep the auto-tipping but do NOT allow anyone to remove them unless they have a serious issue which should be investigated. They and the passengers who don't pay tips are being unfair to the staff and the passengers who do.

Perfectly explained,i totally agree.

When I went to school (Many, Many years ago) the majority in a percentage system would be 50.1%. So how can 38.56% be the majority??? I think you need to go back to school LOL

Only 41.83% voted to accept the charges. Therefore, 58.17% didn’t accept. That, to me is a vote against

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lies, damned lies and statistics! Have to say that my interpretation of the poll was that the majority were going to either remove the service charge or reduce it, thus leaving the minority paying it in full. We will all draw our own conclusions as to what that tells us, but it does rather confirm to me my belief that those of us who do pay in full are being asked to pay more and more in order to subsidise those who remove or reduce it and this could well be the tipping point for me.

Lies, damned lies and statistics! Have to say that my interpretation of the poll was that the majority were going to either remove the service charge or reduce it, thus leaving the minority paying it in full. We will all draw our own conclusions as to what that tells us, but it does rather confirm to me my belief that those of us who do pay in full are being asked to pay more and more in order to subsidise those who remove or reduce it and this could well be the tipping point for me.

I agree, thats why i believe like some others on here that gratuitys should be included in the cruise price or a compulsory service charge so everyone makes a contribution.

I agree, thats why i believe like some others on here that gratuitys should be included in the cruise price or a compulsory service charge so everyone makes a contribution.

Agreed, but as that's not going to happen any time soon perhaps direct action is needed, or we will just go around and around in circles - as these countless threads on tipping have a tendency of doing!

Agreed, but as that's not going to happen any time soon perhaps direct action is needed, or we will just go around and around in circles - as these countless threads on tipping have a tendency of doing!

Every single time round and round the same people saying the same things.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fortunately or otherwise it would be illegal for any cruise sold in the UK to have hidden charges added after the initial cost, that is why they have to be optional unless included in the basic price.

Having read this discussion I am still not sure what the new auto tips system is. Are they on? but there is an option to remove them, or they are on and cannot be removed? We are on Oceana this June 21st and have no information in our cruise personaliser, yet. BTW the drinks prices seem pretty good on here as are the wine package prices, or am I a bit out of touch with this too. Thank you in advance. Michael.

Having read this discussion I am still not sure what the new auto tips system is. Are they on? but there is an option to remove them, or they are on and cannot be removed? We are on Oceana this June 21st and have no information in our cruise personaliser, yet. BTW the drinks prices seem pretty good on here as are the wine package prices, or am I a bit out of touch with this too. Thank you in advance. Michael.

They are added daily to your sea pass account but you can go to guest services to adjust the amount or stop them altogether and tip who you want to tip.