Celebrity Safety Video

albertacruiserx2

The muster drill would be more effective if they did what was required and ended it.

Show where your station is

Demonstrate how to put on the life jacket.

Demonstrate the alarm

Give a few other verbal instructions and rules that are related to that ship

Then end it. It could be over in under 5 minutes and would be more effective because it would keep the people’s attention by giving what is needed instead of burying the info into a lot of useless fluff.

KISS

Celebrity would have been better off investing the money to produce the video into their website😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I agree with you.

I remember my first cruises that the safety drill was in the meeting stations, in front of your lifeboat, the verbal assistance list was passed, the use of the safety lamp and the whistle included in the life-jacket was demonstrated (the lamp was active with salt water). Now you have a 00X show, in the comfort of a seat in the air conditioning. The new ships with a large number of passengers, all PAX do not fit in the security stations at the same time. This procedure will be correct but it should be taken more seriously than watching cartoons

I also think that the newest trend that doesn't require passenger to return to their stateroom and get their life jackets to wear to the drill tends to make some passengers take this "drill" as an annoyance rather than understanding that it is providing information that could be lifesaving. Adding the silly video only compounds and underscores that false impression.

They put a lot of work into this .. . . meanwhile the website still doesn't work.

Interesting to see they airbrushed everyone over 50 from the video.

Would much prefer they just supplied the essential information rather than dress it up in this Mission Impossible rubbish - the important messages are lost in the padding. This feels like Celebrity is just paying lip service to the requirement for a Muster Drill and not taking safety seriously. If lifts are not to be used to get to your muster point how are people with mobility issues supposed to get to them - didn't see that covered

This feels like Celebrity is just paying lip service to the requirement for a Muster Drill and not taking safety seriously. If lifts are not to be used to get to your muster point how are people with mobility issues supposed to get to them - didn't see that covered

Interesting, and a very good point.

We have been on two Celebrity cruises where we never saw the video...even though we went to the Muster drill and sat where we were told by the staff :(. In both cases are assigned lounge was in Murano,,,,,and we were shuffled to the side section...which was completely out of view of the video screen. Most of the folks around us, not being able to see the video, just sat around quietly chatting or reading their books/kindles. The staff is certainly aware that folks are herded to areas not within sight of a video screen...but technically Celebrity is fulfilling their muster drill obligation. According to a regular poster here on CC (who spent years as an Officer) they meet the International SOLAS requirement because the video is "available for later viewing on your cabin TV." One nearby passenger remarked that she "hoped that Celebrity took a real emergency more seriously then they took the muster drill."

Hank

They put a lot of work into this .. . . meanwhile the website still doesn't work.

I If lifts are not to be used to get to your muster point how are people with mobility issues supposed to get to them - didn't see that covered

That is what occurred to me when we were "dismissed" -- the passengers using scooters were basically mobbed and could not advance very easily - let alone use a lift - until the crowds had thinned.

Much like the flight attendants who provide instructions to passengers requiring assistance, or to parents with young children, the cruise lines should perhaps make a point of contacting guests with mobility issues after boarding to ensure that they know what to do in the event of an emergency.

The muster drill would be more effective if they did what was required and ended it.

Demonstrate the alarm

Then end it. It could be over in under 5 minutes and would be more effective because it would keep the people’s attention by giving what is needed instead of burying the info into a lot of useless fluff.

KISS

Celebrity would have been better off investing the money to produce the video into their website😱

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Ed, couldn't agree with you more.

On our last cruise on Eclipse, a woman starting playing with her phone during the video. One of the crew did approach her and instructed her to put it away. She then made it a point not to look at the screen the rest of the vieo. She sure showed them.

As a video professional for 30 years, I've seen and produced my share of similar videos. You can't cover everything in such a program, so you hit the important stuff. The idea is get people interested in the plot so that they pay enough attention that they also get the critical info as well.

What did I get out it? Muster station locations are on the back of the cabin door and on your seapass card. Don't use elevators in case of an emergency. Don't smoke or use heated devices in cabins. Don't throw things overboard. Not much else I recall needing to know about a cruise.

Well done, Celebrity. A first-rate production in my eyes.

One of the primary reasons they take as long as they sometimes do - beyond your suggested 5 minutes - is due to the valid requirement of having to confirm by muster station roll call that everyone assigned to that muster location is in fact in attendance. Each stateroom is checked for stragglers or those who are trying to duck out of attending - which is time consuming. If all would take it seriously and show up on time the drills would be more efficient and less time consuming.

That being said, I am also not a fan of these videos and would prefer the traditional drill format.

They take attendance when entering so they know who is missing.

We were on a 2B2 and after the first cruise we decided to wait until the last minute to show up because we got there as soon as the first call was during the first cruise and waited about 30 minutes before it started. It also turned out to be FILO and they made everyone leave the theater aisle by aisle. We knew how long it would take to get there. We were relaxing at the pool area but not wearing bathing attire. It was unbelieveable the amount of passengers still in the hot tubs and pool with drinks in their hands when we left about 5 minutes before the drill was officially to start.

We made it there on time and still had to wait for some late comers. Than to add to additional useless time at the end of the drill we had to sit there while they took roll call for those that weren’t “checked” in.

To be fair to everyone else they should really shut the doors or close it off to people getting there late or not showing up. Then penalize them by making them sit in a room at a later time for at least an hour during a very inconvenient time.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Celebrity Eclipse was our worst safety drill ever. Herded into an area that was standing room only, couldn't see the Muster Station leader when they spoke, couldn't see the video........ I don't think Celebrity can possibly take any part of it seriously: token concern only for the authorities! We stood there for what seemed like an eternity thinking about the Costa Concordia:-) Frankly, I wondered what would happen in a real emergency.

Demonstrate the alarm

KISS

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

a

I wish I had a “like” button. These were my thoughts exactly! 👍🏻

Something mentioned previously - and sorry as it could take the thread in a totally different direction.

DISABILITIES

I am vastly overweight and struggle with stairs so I use the lifts for comfort BUT if someone in a wheelchair needs my space I will gladly let them have it and wait for the next one (or even walk 3 flights).

What really disgusts me are the people who will rush into a lift KNOWING a chair user needs to use that lift - they don't have the option to walk up one flight of stairs (though I'm sure they would love to be able).

What's wrong with people.

The same goes for tables in the buffet; if it is reserved for someone with a disability just move on and find somewhere else.

Sorry, rant over.