Why has the price of Princess cruises increase at a rate faster than others?

mwlillie

We are pricing Princess and Royal Caribbean too. Our best price that we have found so far is on MSC. We have never sailed on Princes. Interested in thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I sailed Princess for the first time last July (2017). We had a great experience and they treated us well. Staff, ship, food, all was good. That said we have traveled Royal Caribbean the most and three times in the Med and Europe. On the small Radiance class ships we did not see that many kids; because they don't have all the bells and whistles as the larger ships. Royal also was great; nice staff, nice crew, food was good. Did a 14 night cruise on NCL. It was good and everything went well. But there was something about that cruise that didn't work. So NCL would be our last choice to cruise the Med again. We are looking to do a cruise mainly for Italy as we want to do Sicily, Naples, Rome and Florence. Have been to Rome many times but wife wants to go back to both Rome and Florence again. It is hard trying to find a cruiseline that hits all four of those cities; because they all go to other ports; bottom line I feel either Princess or Royal Caribbean would be fine for your cruise.

I sailed Princess for the first time last July (2017). We had a great experience and they treated us well. Staff, ship, food, all was good. That said we have traveled Royal Caribbean the most and three times in the Med and Europe. On the small Radiance class ships we did not see that many kids; because they don't have all the bells and whistles as the larger ships. Royal also was great; nice staff, nice crew, food was good. Did a 14 night cruise on NCL. It was good and everything went well. But there was something about that cruise that didn't work. So NCL would be our last choice to cruise the Med again. We are looking to do a cruise mainly for Italy as we want to do Sicily, Naples, Rome and Florence. Have been to Rome many times but wife wants to go back to both Rome and Florence again. It is hard trying to find a cruiseline that hits all four of those cities; because they all go to other ports; bottom line I feel either Princess or Royal Caribbean would be fine for your cruise.

There are a number of Princess cruises that go to Messina (Sicily), Naples, Civitavecchia for Rome, and Livorno for Florence in the one cruise plus a few other ports, of course.

Exactly my thought when I read the original post.

And it is virtually impossible to compare "apples to apples" when looking at the various lines' date=' especially when factoring in such perks as complimentary gratuities, specialty dining, etc. I've found the entry level cabins to be similar on the various lines, excluding DCL. And that even after accounting for less "nickel and dime" charges on DCL, they still run 50% or more over the price of similar lines. Celebrity's web site is such a pain that I often just give up on them!

I've also learned to shop the "deals" on cruises as I can be flexible on dates. I choose those where I can get a good price, although sometimes it is better than others.

Princess does seem to be decreasing the value of services and events, perhaps more rapidly than other lines. I'm thinking of things like expiration dates on coffee cards, decline of the Captain's Circle reception, etc. On the other hand, the new bedding is a huge improvement, and [b']one of these days I'll be on a ship with one of the new shows.[/b]

I'm still waiting on that one as well.....:D:D:D

Bob

While we have never sailed on MSC I have read a number of comparison reviews. I don't think MSC sounds like a good "fit" for us. I feel lucky that we started with Princess as it seems to work well for our wants/needs.

I got to go to the official naming ceremony and spend one night on the MSC Seaside. Was all over the ship and learned a lot. I so enjoyed the evening but walked off thinking that MSC is not for me.

There are a number of Princess cruises that go to Messina (Sicily), Naples, Civitavecchia for Rome, and Livorno for Florence in the one cruise plus a few other ports, of course.

Yes I am looking. It looks like we will have to do a 10-12 night cruise that hits Italy and a few other places. Thanks and have a great day

Yes I am looking. It looks like we will have to do a 10-12 night cruise that hits Italy and a few other places. Thanks and have a great day

We did a 21 night cruise on Royal last year and it was wonderful. It was also sold as 11 night and 10 night cruises so we actually had two stops at Naples, which suited us.

Have a great cruise.

We did a 21 night cruise on Royal last year and it was wonderful. It was also sold as 11 night and 10 night cruises so we actually had two stops at Naples, which suited us.

Have a great cruise.

What month was your cruise

• 2 weeks later...
I really enjoyed cruising with Princess. In fact, they would be my first choice. However, considering that I normally pay for a cabin for my parents I try to be frugal.

The last time I cruised Princess, five years ago, the average cost of a balcony cabin for two was about $2K USD. This was comparable to other cruise lines. Now, the average cost for the same cabin (on the same class ship) has risen to $3K. While others are still at about the same price point as five years ago (NCL, RCL, Carnival, etc.).

When I compare factors such as shipboard amenities, itinerary, etc., I find myself not being able to justify the cost difference.

The question I have is there still deals to be made that narrows the above gap (and I do use a very reliable travel agent), or do I consider my cruising days with Princess to be at an end?

Who do you think is paying for Princess’ “Ocean Medallion” failure? It certainly isn’t Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While we have never sailed on MSC I have read a number of comparison reviews. I don't think MSC sounds like a good "fit" for us. I feel lucky that we started with Princess as it seems to work well for our wants/needs.

I think MSC has very different layers and you need to be careful what you book. We just booked a one bedroom suite with drink package for 18 days for a very good rate. Will be interesting to compare.

I think it all comes down to supply and demand.

Keith

This is so true. Spending more for an ocean view on the Ruby this June for my daughter than for a Mini on a Royal Princess coastal next year. Ruby is doing Alaska with Glacier Bay in peak season. Royal Princess cruise is off season a bit 1.5 months earlier. In 2003 I spent about 2500 for a Mini for a Mexican Riviera for 2. Next year the price is just over 3100 on the Royal Princess. Both are MAs

I really enjoyed cruising with Princess. In fact, they would be my first choice.

With respect, you have answered your own question.

Many feel as you do....so demand increases,,,,increased demand results in higher pricing.

I really enjoyed cruising with Princess. In fact, they would be my first choice. However, considering that I normally pay for a cabin for my parents I try to be frugal.

The last time I cruised Princess, five years ago, the average cost of a balcony cabin for two was about $2K USD. This was comparable to other cruise lines. Now, the average cost for the same cabin (on the same class ship) has risen to $3K. While others are still at about the same price point as five years ago (NCL, RCL, Carnival, etc.).

When I compare factors such as shipboard amenities, itinerary, etc., I find myself not being able to justify the cost difference.

The question I have is there still deals to be made that narrows the above gap (and I do use a very reliable travel agent), or do I consider my cruising days with Princess to be at an end?

If you are speaking about a 7 day cruise in the Caribbean or Mexico your $2K price is about the same as it is today, $150/pp/day. We have a 7 day Mexico, balcony cabin booked for Feb 2019 that nets out lower than that. If you are speaking about Europe, Alaska or other parts of the world the pricing is higher. Watch for promos.

Also watch for on board spending. On Princess ships you really don't have to use specialty dining to get a good meal.

Yes I agree Princess has gone up in price a lot. I noticed the increase when they added ocean medallion cruises. When they offer "free gratitues" it is included in the higher price. I am not sailing with them until I get better prices again.

Yes I agree Princess has gone up in price a lot. I noticed the increase when they added ocean medallion cruises. When they offer "free gratitues" it is included in the higher price. I am not sailing with them until I get better prices again.

I think they’re actually including the sip and sale promo in prices. That’s why prices don’t jump much when the promo is on.

Last May we booked a 12 day Mediterranean cruise for May of this year. We booked a Club Class mini suite and the price was rather expensive but itinerary and dates were exactly what we wanted and we will not sail on Princess in the future without the Club Class dining option. We used an FCC to hold the cruise. Then the sip and sail promotion came up and we refared (though cabin cost did not come down) to add the promotion. In October, Princess had another sale, the mother of all sales, and ended up getting a Club Class mini for same price as regular mini, OBC and pre-paid gratuities, however lost the sip and sail. Total difference for two was a savings of about $3,400 which we figured would buy lots of “sips”. Moral of the story is always have an FCC handy and if you find something you want, book it and keep monitoring fares and promotions along with your Travel Agent.