service charge question

C cruise

I did not mean it that way, sorry if it came across bad. I meant what are the difference between the 2 price models

Sorry, my response was probably a bit harsh. :)

We get the UBP, a bottle of water a day each, coffee with meals, no DSC to pay and a big price increase.

Before that, we already got the UBP as free at sea, so that isn’t an extra really.

There are other differences between UK and US terms, but they have existed for some time.

And you are contributing to a fund that benefits people fleet wide, so a part of your donation goes to people that dont even work on the ship you are on! LOL
And a portion of your cruise fare goes to people that don't even work on the ship you are on!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The guest is now paying the salary that the cruise company used to pay but now does not have to.

*Think what you want -- I dont gain anything from changing people's opinions. I'm just stating what is really happening, believe it or not.

The guest is ALWAYS paying the salary. Plus the cost of the ships, the supplies, the entertainment, and everything else. The money doesn't just come from thin-air. It comes from the guests. The ONLY thing different, is that the salary component is split-out from the basic fare, in order to enable marketing of 'cheaper' fares. That's it, that's all.

Got it, I just don’t dont donate extra money to the billion dollar company so they can pay their employees.

The shareholders and execs are laughing at you........

Ha ha ha. I AM a shareholder. And one way, or another... you'll pay for the employees. Either in a separated DSC, or by a higher fare. The employees aren't going to work for nothing, and the guests pay all of the expenses AND the profit element, too.

Sorry, my response was probably a bit harsh. :)

We get the UBP, a bottle of water a day each, coffee with meals, no DSC to pay and a big price increase.

Before that, we already got the UBP as free at sea, so that isn’t an extra really.

There are other differences between UK and US terms, but they have existed for some time.

so if you back out the value of the extra stuff how does the pricing compare to the US?

so if you back out the value of the extra stuff how does the pricing compare to the US?

I don’t really know. NCL have managed to block our access to the US site fairly well and I can’t really be bothered to look to hard.

Before all inclusive was introduced, I found that the prices were fairly similar from what I saw. Some were cheaper, some more expensive. Never enough of a difference when you took everything into account to make it worth worrying too much about it.

Now, with the price increases, once you take out the DSC, which is really the only difference real benefit with all inclusive, I’d guess that whilst prices have gone up by 20-25%, the extra value we are getting is around 10% (it depends a bit on grade of cabin you book). Therefore I’d say that we have a real terms increase of about 10-15%.

It all depends a lot on what cabins people book, when and for how many people, but I’d say that we have gone from fairly comparable prices to now being 10-20% more expensive, after taking into account the differences.

Where it has made a big difference is as a solo. I sometimes do a transatlantic by myself. I was due to do one next year, but looking at the prices, no way. I’ve booked something different instead as it has now been priced way out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bottom line is this:

As long as the DSC is a discretionary charge, there will ALWAYS be those of us who exercise the right to remove the DSC and there will always be those who of us who will pay it with no questions asked.

So I think that in the end, it all evens out. Those of us who remove the DSC are happy....those of us who pay the DSC are happy as well. It is a win-win situation for both types of passengers.

The real winners are those of us who leave the DSC intact AND tip over and above that....they are also happy. I see none of them complaining about the fact that by their generous actions they are subsidizing the cost of the cruise on behalf of those of us who choose to remove the DSC.

Perhaps the cruiselines, NCL included, should look towards Costa Cruises whose DSC is mandatory. That would put an end to this bloody battle.

Edited by 558

The bottom line is this:

As long as the DSC is a discretionary charge, there will ALWAYS be those of us who exercise the right to remove the DSC and there will always be those who of us who will pay it with no questions asked.

So I think that in the end, it all evens out. Those of us who remove the DSC are happy....those of us who pay the DSC are happy as well. It is a win-win situation for both types of passengers.

The real winners are those of us who leave the DSC intact AND tip over and above that....they are also happy. I see none of them complaining about the fact that by their generous actions they are subsidizing the cost of the cruise on behalf of those of us who choose to remove the DSC.

Perhaps the cruiselines, NCL included, should look towards Costa Cruises whose DSC is mandatory. That would put an end to this bloody battle.

Yep, exercise your right... If you are happy being subsidized by others, why not. Just not how most of us roll. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!!

If you're US based, you should be able to check. I was able to access the UK website. For my cruise, it's a better deal on the UK side if you use all the included stuff. The key was the UBP. If, like me, you can't/won't make use of the UBP (for all parties in the cabin; I used a booking of 4 and 5 to test), then US piece meal pricing was better.

There was another thread where someone else tried it. I believe on the cheaper or more heavily promoted Caribbean cruises, it's an even better deal on the US side. My cruise is abnormally expensive for NCL (it literally is Disney pricing; I checked my last DCL invoice and my upcoming NCL one is $15 more than what I'm paying and the pricing for my cabin has only gone up since then about $2,000 at last check).

I removed the DSC one time on a cruise. I had $450 cash stolen from my room. The cruise line attempted to blame it on a possible faulty door or someone climbing over the balcony rail telling me I could not prove the balcony door was locked at all times. Crazy part was my money was locked in the safe. I felt bad that some innocent crew would not get their tips, but I considered this a huge violation of my trust by the cruise company.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep, exercise your right... If you are happy being subsidized by others, why not. Just not how most of us roll. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!!

You actually misinterpreted my post, I challenge you to find ANY posting from me which mentions that I did or did not remove the DSC. You assumed the former and we all know what they say about people who just assume things that are not there.

I was merely posting an objective assessment of the current DSC situation and actually encouraging cruiselines (so much for NCL being a leader and a trailblazer!!!) to follow in Costa's footsteps by making the DSC mandatory.

Edited by 558

Got it, I just don’t dont donate extra money to the billion dollar company so they can pay their employees.

The shareholders and execs are laughing at you........

Apparently you are clueless about how a business runs.

Apparently you are clueless about how a business runs.

The billion dollar cruise line loves people like you. What other business suckers you into paying more than you have to? They are laughing at you. But hey, if you want to subsidize my fare, thanks!

The billion dollar cruise line loves people like you. What other business suckers you into paying more than you have to? They are laughing at you. But hey, if you want to subsidize my fare, thanks!

restaurants, bars, resort hotels, airlines by selling certain seats at different prices, any high end retails shops as opposed to target, the gas station on one block selling at 2.75 and the one down the street selling for 2.95 etc etc etc

restaurants, bars, resort hotels, airlines by selling certain seats at different prices, any high end retails shops as opposed to target, the gas station on one block selling at 2.75 and the one down the street selling for 2.95 etc etc etc

Yeah okay thanks for your contribution to my cruise fare!

They only get to keep the full 'tip' if all their allocated cabin / table guests have left their DSC's in place.

Ah, thanks. I have never heard that before so that is new information. I suspect it is an unworkable rule if it is true, so I remain skeptical.

Since the DSC isn't usually removed until the end of the cruise, how do the workers know if the passenger is going to remove the DSC on Friday night?

Is $100 for the steward about right?

How much for nightly dining in the MDR for a table of four?

I expect it's about $1 per drink?

I know it's up to the individual, but I am just looking for a range and would love to hear what others have to say.

I think $100 for the cabin steward is more than I would pay. We will sometimes tip $20 to $50, depending on the steward. Just remember that the steward is already compensated at a rate that they like, and continue to agree to, because it is two to three times as much as they can earn at home for similar work. For a Filipino, a cabin steward earns about as much as an aircraft mechanic or nurse at home.

Despite the chatter on here, I have never seen anyone tip in a MDR. It would be awkward to do so. It is not expected and you would be clearly out of the norm.

Drinks already carry an 20% service charge / auto gratuity / tip, and you have paid them on your beverage plan already. However, some people do tip a $1 a drink above that. Often they state that this gratuity works to get better service from that particular bartender.

As you noted, do what you're comfortable with, but my feeling is that you should not tip out of a sense of guilt that the workers are exploited by the evil corporation you are enabling with your cruise fare, or the idea that the workers are underpaid and only get $50 a month, etc. Those are myths, as the minimum wage for all seafarers is the $614 per month plus overtime for hours over 40, working out to over $1,000 a month.

Ah, thanks. I have never heard that before so that is new information. I suspect it is an unworkable rule if it is true, so I remain skeptical.

Since the DSC isn't usually removed until the end of the cruise, how do the workers know if the passenger is going to remove the DSC on Friday night?

Whether the workers know or not isn't really the issue is it. At the end of the day, the sums will be done, and the books have to balance in order for them to be able to keep all or part of their 'tip'. Whilst I don't know the exact procedure each cruise line takes to sort this out, I suspect that the easiest method would be for all cash 'tips' to be handed in at the end of each cruise, and once the books are balanced, they receive back either a nice lump sum, or a big fat nothing for their trouble. Sadly, I suspect the latter is more the norm.

Whether the workers know or not isn't really the issue is it. At the end of the day, the sums will be done, and the books have to balance in order for them to be able to keep all or part of their 'tip'. Whilst I don't know the exact procedure each cruise line takes to sort this out, I suspect that the easiest method would be for all cash 'tips' to be handed in at the end of each cruise, and once the books are balanced, they receive back either a nice lump sum, or a big fat nothing for their trouble. Sadly, I suspect the latter is more the norm.

this can't possible be the way it works ...workers having to hand in their cash tips and maybe ending up with nothing because someone didn't pay the DSC ... c'mon really? that sounds like slavery...

I think $100 for the cabin steward is more than I would pay. We will sometimes tip $20 to $50, depending on the steward. Just remember that the steward is already compensated at a rate that they like, and continue to agree to, because it is two to three times as much as they can earn at home for similar work. For a Filipino, a cabin steward earns about as much as an aircraft mechanic or nurse at home.

Despite the chatter on here, I have never seen anyone tip in a MDR. It would be awkward to do so. It is not expected and you would be clearly out of the norm.

Drinks already carry an 20% service charge / auto gratuity / tip, and you have paid them on your beverage plan already. However, some people do tip a $1 a drink above that. Often they state that this gratuity works to get better service from that particular bartender.

As you noted, do what you're comfortable with, but my feeling is that you should not tip out of a sense of guilt that the workers are exploited by the evil corporation you are enabling with your cruise fare, or the idea that the workers are underpaid and only get $50 a month, etc. Those are myths, as the minimum wage for all seafarers is the $614 per month plus overtime for hours over 40, working out to over $1,000 a month.

Why would it be awkward to tip in the MDR? And why is that any different then tipping a buck or two at the bar? Clearly you have never worked in the service industry. I always tip extra (even in the MDR) and I can guarantee you that it is always appreciated.

this can't possible be the way it works ...workers having to hand in their cash tips and maybe ending up with nothing because someone didn't pay the DSC ... c'mon really? that sounds like slavery...

Sure it works that way. The practice falls directly in line with NCL's compensation process. It relies on each customer contributing in some way to the compensation program. If they cancel the DSC and give cash instead then it is viewed with very little difference, it is still the same basic compensation funding that the thing revolves on. If the customer funds the program through the DSC and then give cash then workers keep the bonus. They work as a team for the greater good of the team.

Sure it works that way. The practice falls directly in line with NCL's compensation process. It relies on each customer contributing in some way to the compensation program. If they cancel the DSC and give cash instead then it is viewed with very little difference, it is still the same basic compensation funding that the thing revolves on. If the customer funds the program through the DSC and then give cash then workers keep the bonus. They work as a team for the greater good of the team.

ray98 - This 100%.

The workers themselves would wish for an easier way to earn a bit extra (by us paying the DSC + extra in the form of a ‘tip’ for extra good service), but they accept the position we place them in. The bottom line for them is they work as a team. We, the passengers don’t see how much the front of house staff rely on the back room staff to enable them to shine for us. They look after each other.

The funny thing is those who complain are just too ignorant to realize you will pay their salary either way unless you snub tradition because you are cheap. You do it by funding whatever flavor gratuity program is in place for the line you are on. The other option is a no tipping model accompanied by a corresponding increase the fare to pay them a full salary. If the lines went against all historical precedent and said this will no longer be a gratuity based service environment you can expect the base fare to rise at lease as much as the standard gratuity is now.

When those are the two options I will take the separate gratuity every time. That makes the employee accountable to me instead of only to their employer. It provides the incentive for them to go the extra step to keep me happy because I am directly connected to their compensation.

I strongly urge anyone confused about the DSC and additional cash tips or anyone contemplating removal of DSC to read the faq on NCL’s website. The misinformation on these tipping threads is rampant. I’m not sure why some posters have the need to make repeated unfounded claims that the DSC is a scam and none of it goes to the staff on board or that if you paid the DSC and don’t give cash tips that you are stiffing the employees. Neither is true.

Directly from NCL website and in their words: “The service charge is shared with restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and other behind the scenes staff…. “ "If you have concerns about the service you receive let guest services know right away so issues can be addressed in a timely manner.” Should your concerns not be corrected then feel free to adjust the DSC accordingly. Regarding extra cash tips per NCL: “You should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity … Staff are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them.”

There is no expectation to offer extra cash tips unless you are in a suite or utilizing the kids club. Youth staff, Concierge and Butler are not included in your DSC charges and should be tipped separately according to services received.

For those who honestly just want to know what is the right thing to do – it’s to leave the DSC intact and pay it. If you have service issues contact Guest services and if not corrected then adjust the DSC. The majority of NCL staff on board are hardworking and excellent so the chance you’ll need to adjust the dsc is pretty slim. Regarding extra tips which are not expected but appreciated; It's nice to do and much appreciated. Nothing but a sincere thank you and or a vacation hero card is also fine. If in a suite the tips for certain staff excluded from DSC should be figured. Those are really up to the individual and dependent on use/service received.

The staff I have spoken with on board NCL ships about DSC and tips have been long term staff. They are happy with their jobs. They do appreciate extra cash tips. They do get extra pay dependent on the amount of DSC collected vs. amount that passengers remove. They do get to keep every cent of extra cash tips given above the DSC. They appreciate the extra pay they get from the DSC.

It is really very easy just to follow the guidelines NCL gives us and go have a great vacation. Anonymous posters on the internet board trying to tell you otherwise should be ignored. Yes NCL is a corporation in it for the bottom line and they are currently quite profitable. Should the quality of service, food and vacation experiences suffer to a point where customers and employees are no longer happy they will need to adjust their practices or suffer through lost customers, bad reputation and lost revenue. I have not noted any decrease in the quality of services aboard their ships and feel it remains excellent. I have noticed a decline in food quality. It’s not enough for me to stop spending my vacation time and dollars on board their ships yet. Should it decline further I’ll re-evaluate.That’s what customers do. They either pay NCL the $ or not. Trying to make a statement to the corporation by taking away staff pay and encourage others to do the same is not the way to show the perceived big bad company. If you really feel they are the big bad company exploiting their workers then don’t sail with them but trying to remove DSC as a rationale is really just punishing the hard working staff. You have to wonder what the real motive for posters to encourage thousands of others not to pay the DSC or that If you do pay the DSC and don't give a plethora of cash to anyone serving you that you have stiffed them.

Edited by littlelulu01