Cost of Cancel for any reason insurance

JudithLynne

Can someone tell me where on the HAL website I can find the cost of their Cancel for any reason insurance? Although I am insured for typical reasons with my credit card, we have elderly pets and would not leave them in the event of illness.

I have been all over the HAL website and know everything about their insurance except the price!

Login to your Booking on HAL's site. Select Purchases button on your booking number (the same button you would use to purchase dining or excursions).

A new window should open with Welcome on it. Scroll down under the Days Before You Leave on the left hand side you should see bullets on various items. The third bullet from the bottom is "Purchase Cruise Protection Plan". Select that and a new window opens with a light blue box on the right hand side that should state, "CRUISE PROTECTION". It should list the names of the passengers and under each name, in red, most likely "No Protection" and a green button ADD CRUISE PROTECTION.

Select that button and a pop up appears that allows you to select the level of protection and cost for each passenger.

Good luck.

Login to your Booking on HAL's site. Select Purchases button on your booking number (the same button you would use to purchase dining or excursions).

A new window should open with Welcome on it. Scroll down under the Days Before You Leave on the left hand side you should see bullets on various items. The third bullet from the bottom is "Purchase Cruise Protection Plan". Select that and a new window opens with a light blue box on the right hand side that should state, "CRUISE PROTECTION". It should list the names of the passengers and under each name, in red, most likely "No Protection" and a green button ADD CRUISE PROTECTION.

Select that button and a pop up appears that allows you to select the level of protection and cost for each passenger.

Good luck.

Not the OP but I followed your very good instructions only to find "please call reservations to purchase"! I wonder if that is because my cruise is a long(ish) cruise rather than a shorter one.

I had called to purchase the cancellation insurance as well. Since we booked through a travel agent, ended up having to call her to put it in place. We are paying $378 for the standard cancellation plan for our upcoming 13 day cruise. I recall paying $700, maybe a little more, for the Platinum "cancel anytime before you put foot on the ship" plan when we did our 18 day Hawaiian trip. Don't know how or whether # of days/location/ etc. may figure into the insurance cost.

The cost will depend on the length of the trip, the level (cost) of the cabin, and the age of the pax covered.

Don't know how or whether # of days/location/ etc. may figure into the insurance cost.
For HAL CPP or CPPP I believe the price is determined solely by the amount being covered, which in turn is determined by the level of cabin and the length of the cruise. Maybe 3rd party insurance factors in the passenger age(s), but I'm pretty sure HAL's doesn't. Nor should it, IMO.

When we have purchased it, it has been around 9% or 10% of the amount covered IIRC. It's not a fixed percent, but increases in steps, like tax brackets.

Edited by catl331

I would recommend third-party (not cruise ship company) that would cover the whole trip, travel to and from the ship, etc... Door to Door from departure to return home.

The site mentioned earlier is a good start.

One of the major carriers that is listed and compared there offers Cruise Specific trip insurance.

Note.... pay attention to things like pre-existing conditions and other factors that can depend on whether you book the insurance right away when booking your cruise. I think the cruise specific policies might not be required until final payment date. And might not be based on the initial date of booking.

Like Lizzie said it's based on price of cruise pp. I posted this chart last year that I found in my folder but not sure if it is still accurate. Hopefully this works.

[ATTACH]416099[/ATTACH]

That looks about right. The numbers are correct on what I paid for an upcomming Cruise.

The cost will depend on the length of the trip, the level (cost) of the cabin, and the age of the pax covered. I doubt there is one fixed cost to cover all situations- that is not how insurance usually works.

If you purchase travel insurance through the cruise line, only the cost per person is taken into consideration.

If you purchase your travel insurance with an outside agency age and pre-existing conditions apply.

Can someone tell me where on the HAL website I can find the cost of their Cancel for any reason insurance? Although I am insured for typical reasons with my credit card, we have elderly pets and would not leave them in the event of illness.

I have been all over the HAL website and know everything about their insurance except the price!

Have you asked this question of your Travel agent or Personal Cruise Consultant (HAL)?

The people at HAL are very helpful.

Before we lost our beloved cat last October, we were comparing costs of independent non-cruiseline cancel-for-any reason policy. We found HAL's Cancellation Protection Plan to be the cheapest for this particular plan. After we lost our pet, I took a look at CitiAdvantage credit cards' cancellation insurance. Lo and behold, they do have a cancel if a pet is ill and needs veterinary care! Unfortunately, it is only up to $5,000, and we need way more than that now since our cruise is 89 days long. So we will take out the CPP on the last day before penalties begin.

I wish people would stop commenting that the CPP doesn't provide sufficient medical coverage. No, it does not. But that is not the purpose of this plan. If you have other medical insurance and simply want the cancel-for-any reason protection, I will be surprised if you find another company that is any cheaper. If you do, please email me me. I would be most interested.

BTW, for our 89-day, 2018 Grand Asia, the cost of the Holland America Standard Plan for our Vista Suite is $2,918.00, considerably less than 10% of the posted cruise cost. The Standard Plan covers 80% of the cost, and our CitiAdvantage credit card insurance provides another 5%.

Hope this helps.

If you do a “pretend” booking for your cruise they will show the insurance prices.

I am the OP and want to thank all of you for your replies.

Tampa Girl...I am so sorry about the loss of your cat and know first hand how difficult that is to work through. You were right that I could not find an insurance plan that would beat HAL's price, especially the 80% refund. I also like that you can cancel with an email and not be burdened with endless paper work.

PSR... you had a great suggestion and it worked so I now have prices to look at.

Nice job everybody! Thank you for taking the time to respond......

Judith