Canadian Travel Agent?

Peaches’Beaches

Great to know I can transfer to a US agent. You bring up another point that I did not know. I had thought the on board credit could be put back on my card at the end of the cruise if it wasn’t used. Is that not the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The on board credit received from a travel agent is called refundable on board credit. The on board credit received as a perk is called non refundable on board credit (use it or lose it).

Non refundable on board credit is used first if cruisers have both types. If there is any refundable on board credit left at the end of the cruise, Celebrity will apply it as a credit to your credit card.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are in Canada and we use a couple of US based TAs to book in either CAD or USD depending on what the exchange rate is and where the Cruise line has pegged their exchange rate. We have received high amounts of OBC as well as in some cases depending on the cruise line we are using, received substantial rebates. To me it is very much worthwhile to find a US based TA that meets your requirements and transfer your booking to them. I have found that when you book in CAD the OBC and rebates are just the USD amounts translated into CAD and then once on board they are translated back to USD because that is what the cruise line uses.

We haven't tried the big box store here in Canada yet but might check it out in the future. The problem with it is the rebates are in gift cards and i prefer getting an actual cheque.

I will admit that you can experience some frustration if the TA doesn't respond quickly when you have an issue but things do eventually get straightened out. If you deal with the cruise line directly you don't go through that but to me the money i get back is worth small amounts of frustration.

We have walked off the ship with hundreds of $ of unused refundable OBC that we take home anbd have available for future USD transactions.

Since I don’t have a US account or Credit Card I’m glad to hear that I might be able to find an agent willing to use CAD. Thanks!

And the TA does not need to be available 24/7 just 7! If you find a price drop in the wee hours of the night all you need to do is place a 24-hour hold on another cabin and call your TA the following morning to get the lower price of your hold transferred to your original reservation.

Note: your TA may need to initiate a three-way conversation with you, your TA and Celebrity since Celebrity may need your verbal permission to release the hold to the TA.

Is the 24 hour hold just done online through their site?

Hello , I am a Canadian cruiser ...I live in the nations capital...I sent you a friend request..if you accept I can answer your question in a private chat ...it should not break any board rules.

Can you send me a friend request. a few hrs from the nations capital and about to book a cruise.

There is no "private chat" or PM function on Cruise Critic, and any attempt to share TA information is a violation of Guidelines. Sorry, I don't make the rules but they are strictly enforced.

I'm a little late to the party but just wanted to point out another consideration when using a Canadian TA. Although most large cruise lines are solvent, one should not discount the value in having a guarantee - such as TICO in Ontario - to protect customers who purchase travel-related products.

Being from Canada, my experience has been for me is that it is cheapest to book direct with Celebrity. I have tried numerous agencies in Canada and $25 obc is about all they would offer. I just email my Celebrity rep every time there is a price drop and she refares it. Our cruise next month we booked deck7 balcony and ended up with deck 10 concierge balcony and saved $120.

You have to do your homework and be vigilant to watch prices.

Interesting,.. so you don't need to call in to celebrity when a price drop occurs - you can get the reduction by emailing them? I suppose you run the risk of losing out by emailing IF the price drop is short lived?

We’re from Canada as well. For years we booked directly through Celebrity or dealt with a friend who was a Canadian travel agent.

We sail frequently with friends who are US citizens. We did not think a US travel agency could deal with Canadians until they told us otherwise.

May I ask what you do for out of country medical insurance if using a US agent?

I've been tempted to try using a US Travel agent (due to hearing about all the OBC that people in the US get) but haven't yet, in part due to the out of country medical (which my Canadian travel agent normally obtains for me).

Would love to hear what other Canadians do...

The big box store's Canadian entity added travel to its offerings just a couple of years ago and we booked through them almost immediately. We had gone to a cruise travel show put on by a TA that we had used on occasion in the past and asked for a quotation for a cruise that we start this coming Sunday. The best they could do is offer us a cheap bottle of wine as a perk. We declined the offer, went home and phoned the big box store's TA. Identical quote for the cost of the cruise, but their perk was a $500 cash card for the store. We booked immediately.

I've been considering them - - so you haven't had any problems contacting them for price reductions if you see them before final payment?

I usually book on board for a future cruise. So what would the best process be (to transfer to the big box online TA if I've never used them and don't have a contact name there?)

Also, have you been able to book refundable deposit cruises with them, now that X offers both types of bookings on future cruises (refundable vs mom refundable deposits).

I am a little late in joining the discussion too. I am a Canadian cruiser and I booked my first cruise through a TA in order to be able to use frequent traveller points. A few cruises later, I was able, by booking an X cruise early, to have access to a group fare, which was very interesting in relation to X fares. In one instance, watching fares drops or new perks offered after booking, I was able, through the TA, to negotiate a better deal.

All and all, I find that my Canadian TA does not offer me the kind of OBC seemingly available in the US, but I also find the group rates really worthwhile.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've been tempted to try using a US Travel agent (due to hearing about all the OBC that people in the US get) but haven't yet, in part due to the out of country medical (which my Canadian travel agent normally obtains for me).

Since we take several cruise or land tours each year, we have an annual policy that covers us for multiple trips of up to sixty days each. It provides medical, trip cancellation and interruption for out of province trips regardless of how the trip is booked. Up to now it has worked for a heart attack in China and a broken arm in Zanzibar.

Sheila

I've been considering them - - so you haven't had any problems contacting them for price reductions if you see them before final payment?

I usually book on board for a future cruise. So what would the best process be (to transfer to the big box online TA if I've never used them and don't have a contact name there?)

Also, have you been able to book refundable deposit cruises with them, now that X offers both types of bookings on future cruises (refundable vs mom refundable deposits).

I've used them for two cruises now and have to say the service is excellent. Since they aren't on commission they take the time to deal with whatever issue you have whether it's a price drop or something else. X chartered our last cruise and I wasn't happy with the options. The rep I was dealing with want very persistent and even had me on a three way call at one point. I've never had this level of service from the other TAs I've used.

When you book on board, they'll ask if you want the booking transferred to them. You get whatever perk they're offering whether it's a gift card for lines like X or on some they still offer OBC. Plus if you have the higher membership your trips qualify for the 2% cash back too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Another Canadian here. We book using an American TA. When booking onboard we have it transferred to that TA. We typically get $100 OBC from the TA. Not much, but better than nothing.

When our big box store began offering travel services here in Canada I was very excited and looked into it. Alas, they switched from AMEX to Mastercard which is a deal breaker for us. We specifically got our Amex because it has built in travel cancellation up to $2500 pp (most cards with insurance max at $1000 pp), so we never have to buy insurance. I have actually had to cancel a land trip that was paid in full and we had no issues getting the Amex insurance to cover us, so can attest to the fact that it works. At the time we got our Amex, there was no equivalent Mcard offering same insurance. I believe there now is, so may look at switching at some point. Will keep an eye on prices and see if it makes sense.

With respect to medical out of country insurance I have coverage through work so don't need to purchase additional insurance.

Great to know I can transfer to a US agent. You bring up another point that I did not know. I had thought the on board credit could be put back on my card at the end of the cruise if it wasn’t used. Is that not the case?

Any OBC from Celebrity such as the $300 Go Big booking perk is non refundable meaning "use it or lose it". Generally OBC from a TA is refundable as they purchase it from Celebrity. But to make it more confusing sometimes TA's have a cooperative marketing program with Celebrity and some or all of what they are giving you actually comes from Celebrity so is also non refundable.

I ALWAYS have them spell out what is from Celebrity and what is from the TA.

Once on board it will be posted to your account which you can view on the TV. The non refundable will show with a code which will include OBN. The refundable OBC code will include OBR. They always deduct from OBN first.

So say you had $300 OBN from Celebrity and $500 OBR from your TA. If you don't prepay your tips they are taken from your account. For sake of example lets say they are $200 and you go to specialty dining 2 people 2 times. $50 x 4 ($200). Then at the end of the cruise your credit card would be refunded $400.

If you didn't do the specialty dining in my example you would be refunded $500 not $600 because $100 of the OBN would be forfeited

Since switching to them, the only reduction in price was after final payment and they got me a no cost upgrade from SV to CC. Based on that dealing, I'd say that they'd be equally helpful with price drops before final payment.

I've not done this with them yet, but I would just ask them before your cruise.

I've not booked since the change, but I don't see why there would be any issue.

We never insure through a TA or cruise line. All of our travel insurance is with a company that provides annual as well as single trip coverage. There are a number of sites that can provide quotes from various companies and allows you to specify the type of coverage you want. This article is a good source of information: http://www.moneysense.ca/magazine-archive/travel-health-insurance-youre-far-from-home/

Another Canadian here....

When our big box store began offering travel services here in Canada I was very excited and looked into it. Alas, they switched from AMEX to Mastercard which is a deal breaker for us...

Thanks for the clarification; I guess my understanding of a big box store is not the same as other posters. In my mind the store that recently changed cc providers would be a "members only retail establishment", while big box would be a regular department store.

Keep an eye out for free air promotions from the vacation arm of Canada's "National Airline". Last year we booked on Equinox with a free air to Miami promotion, only had to pay taxes which were around $150.00. They have also had free air from Puerto Rico and Europe. You get the free air in addition to all the perks that the cruise line is offering at the time of booking which was too good to resist. There is also the TA that has the pilot in their logo that offers discounts in pricing, I don't know if it's at all locations but wouldn't hurt to pay them a visit.

Thanks for the clarification; I guess my understanding of a big box store is not the same as other posters. In my mind the store that recently changed cc providers would be a "members only retail establishment", while big box would be a regular department store.

You are correct - you will also sometimes see the terminology: big box warehouse store.

Is the 24 hour hold just done online through their site?

I have only done it using the Celebrity website - do not know if there is another way to do it, but I suspect not. When you look at a specific cruise and cabin on the website just short of making a purchase - and then back out - the website asks you if you would like to put it on hold. Guess they are hoping to get you partially hooked before you leave!

My comments are with regard to our use of the US side of the big-box warehouse store TA, but I assume that the Canadian side is the same or very similar.

When booking on board you have up to 60 days (or the date of final payment - whichever comes first) to transfer it to a TA. In my case, I booked a "placeholder" cruise as far out as I could just to get the on-board bonus OBC for whatever cruise I might eventually choose to go on. After looking at a couple of online TAs and the big-box TA I decided on the big-box TA since their offers seemed more transparent, they had no extra fees for changes or cancellations and offered about 8% back in the form of a store card that is the same as cash to me since I would spend it anyway.

Before transferring the reservation to the big-box TA I went onto their website and paid the membership fee to join - then I called them to find out how to transfer the reservation. They provided me with the information that I needed to give Celebrity when I called Celebrity to have them transfer the reservation to the TA. The whole process took about five business days - so do not wait until the last few days of your 60 day limit. About three months later my wife and I decided on a different 2019 European cruise and called the big-box TA to have them easily transfer our reservation to the new cruise - while still keeping the on-board booking bonus OBC. If their website does not show pricing for both non-refundable and refundable fares - no problem. Just be prepared with the fare information from Celebrity for your cruise, cabin and deposit type (the base fare, taxes & fees and deposit info) and they will be able to service your request when you give them a call.

Enjoy your TA savings!

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

Are you watching the Celebrity website itself? How do you find out if the specific class of cabin you booked (at this point we have 2A, deck 7 midship) has dropped in price? I’ve been using my phone and find that the site is very hard to navigate.

I do a mock booking, hold the cabin for 24 hours if the price is below my original booking and call my TA to get the better price...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk