St. Petersburg Russia cruise ship cancellation

memoie

More often than not, a cancelled port day becomes a day at sea . It is not as simple as some think for a ship to ''choose' to visit an alternate port. Permision from harbor master, docng room, infrsturucture needs and ability of alternate port to provide what the ship needs. , blah, blah blah....

And don't forget the important ship sponsored excursions.

• 2 weeks later...
YorkshirePhil : Youre not reading my posts. WE ARE BOOKED, PACKED, READY TO GO, TOO LATE TO CANCEL AIR, HOTELS OR CRUISE. We're not talking 2019, we're not talking late 2018, we are talking NOW. THE ships going, nothings cancelled so far nor likely will be. 3000 passengers are all set.

People are replying to the original poster, not to you.

• 2 weeks later...

We are also booked on to a Baltic cruise in 2019 having already sailed on one before. We're taking the view that with it being over a year away relations between our two countries will in all probability have calmed down by then but if they have deteriorated then the cruise line will follow Foreign Office advice which may or may not advise UK citizens to avoid Russia.

If of course it's the weather that prevents a ship docking in St P then it will be the Captain's call and he will make his judgement at the time on the basis of the safety of his passengers and crew plus the ship itself. As to where he may dock as an alternative port nobody can second guess.

I believe if the ship is unable to dock because of weather conditions, passengers have no come back but that may be different if it is because of FO advice, I'm not sure.

• 2 months later...

We have just completed a 2 week trip on Celebrity Silhouette with the highlight of the trip 2 days in St Petersburg.

Unfortunately we were not allowed to dock (supposedly due to the weather, high winds)

We then spent 2 days anchored off shore

Most disappointing since we heard there were other ships allowed in to port

This also meant this trip had a lot of sea days

We're not talking 2019, we're not talking late 2018, we are talking NOW. THE ships going, nothings cancelled so far nor likely will be. 3000 passengers are all set.

It is very rare that St. Petersburg is cancelled. As I am sure you are aware, due to high winds the Silhouette was not able to dock in St. Pete June 1 & 2. I am sure that you will be fine but the ship's captain will decide if a port is too risky to dock - one can miss any port due to unfavorable weather.

Let's please leave the politics alone?

Politics are the reason people are concerned in the first place. Our current president loves Putin. I don't foresee anything but improved relations with Russia while the current administration is in office.

We docked in St Pete June 9, 10, no problems. Doubtful any ships not docking due to politics lol. They need our dollars and Trump and Putin are just fine.

What a disappointment to miss Russia for the other ship June 1. Thats the only reason we took the cruise. We were on a big Princess ship. Maybe docking is a problem with weather on a smaller ship.

What a disappointment to miss Russia for the other ship June 1. Thats the only reason we took the cruise. We were on a big Princess ship. Maybe docking is a problem with weather on a smaller ship.

The structure of large ships acts like a sail trying to dock in a wind is tricky enough

Perhaps the weather was better when you were there than Jun 1st

It is quite possible that the Russians will go after the Princess excursions since they are a US/UK company. Whereas the private tours like SPB and Alla are Russian.

SPB Tours is ranked by us as one of the BEST TOUR Companies we have used. We have cruise a lot and they were really great! Mary

We docked in St Pete June 9, 10, no problems. Doubtful any ships not docking due to politics lol. They need our dollars and Trump and Putin are just fine.

The design, type of propulsion and HP are all factors, but generally, when the wind is blowing it has more affect on the larger ships, which also have less room to manoeuvre.

Cruising is great but my advice to anyone that has 'a must see place' is to fly there and visit rather than relying on a ship to get you there.

Or go on another cruise. We missed Florence on our cruise for our 25th anniversary because I got us on the train from Livorno going the wrong way. So, on our 35th anniversary, we took a similar itinerary and booked the cruise lines Florence on your own to make sure I did not screw it up again.

Or go on another cruise. We missed Florence on our cruise for our 25th anniversary because I got us on the train from Livorno going the wrong way. So, on our 35th anniversary, we took a similar itinerary and booked the cruise lines Florence on your own to make sure I did not screw it up again.

Yeah, that is another solution. Lucky you got the opportunity to get there again.