Service charge increase fleetwide

Rileyz

Nope, it is for every ship that is signatory to the ITF agreement. You can see the minimum here and read about how the ITF organized and changed the conditions when the $50 per month was the norm in this article, and to see the ships the ITF has agreements with go to this page and click "Find a Vessel" and enter "Norwegian" in the search bar.

I don't doubt it was true at one time, but all NCL workers are earning significantly more than the "$50 a month" that people quote.

I will take Chengkp75's information over any one else here simply because he has always been able to disabuse me of my preconceptions based on his recent experience.

You are correct, the crew is not paid $50 per month. The crew is guaranteed a minimum pay. The $50 per month (varies depending on cruise line) is not a minimum pay or what they are guaranteed to make. It is an accounting gimmick on how the lower echelon crew's pay is funded. Their guaranteed pay is a mixture of funds (DSC, general fund etc.) The union agreement does not bind how crew pay is funded.

Actually, you're not pro crew. You ASSUME the crew gets your gratuities but as several have already pointed out here, that is not the case. And what is wrong with giving cash directly to your room steward or butler or waiter? You know they are getting it directly. Just be discrete about it.

Wrong! I have said I don’t want gratuities at all, I want the workers to be on a guaranteed wage. You want them paid chicken feed and rely on a busy ship with enough people happy to throw them some bills. Is this how you are paid? Would you prefer guaranteed wage or almost no wage and then rely on management to run a successful enough product AND then the customer happy to pay your wage on behalf of your employer. I know which one I would take

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wrong! I have said I don’t want gratuities at all, I want the workers to be on a guaranteed wage. You want them paid chicken feed and rely on a busy ship with enough people happy to throw them some bills. Is this how you are paid? Would you prefer guaranteed wage or almost no wage and then rely on management to run a successful enough product AND then the customer happy to pay your wage on behalf of your employer. I know which one I would take

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The rub is that it really does not matter what you or I want. All that matters is what NCL and it's employees agree to. That is between and none of our business. Just as is how much you make at your job to anyone other than you and your employer.

If the NCL and the other cruise lines were paying slave like wages they would not have any employees.

Especially many who spend years working for them.

Many people fail to recognize that the cruise staff has virtually no expenses during their contract. Therefore trying to compare their salary to those on land with transportation, fuel, insurance, housing, utilities etc. is pointless.

Most cruise staff can save more $ in a year than your average person working on land making 5 times as much.

It simply ridiculous that people try speculate where the DSC goes or try and dispute what the cruise lines say without one iota of proof.

The envelope system is gone because of the free style on NCL - you may think you are doing the right thing handing a server cash - but what about the 20 other servers that are working just as hard on their shifts at the buffet, and do not serve a “cash tipper” during their dinner service rotations just the normal folk who leave the DSC in place?

This is both misleading and factually inaccurate.

The cruise staff especially the Phillipinos send there money back for there families and have exactly the same expenses so please ignore those comments. They pay the same tax as land based staff.

Where on earth do you get the five times from - made up and if not lets have the evidence not estimates. Maybe a single person such as our son can save but let me tell you its certainly not five times and the difference in what he could earn on land is now eroded as land salaries are increasing.

Yes they do get the DSC and it is taxed as earnings. If you do not believe phone up any ITS or HMRC office in the UK or read the HMRC manual for seaman.

What is frustrating is that you post is not evidence by any facts.

Lets stop arguing about who pays what and do what the Europeans and Brits do ( OK I know we are still in EU just).

Make the cruise line pay a living wage based on the ports its sails from.

All UK resident cruise staff if the ship is sailing form thr UK have to be paid UK living wage.

Use you energy to lobby the governments. Why should these poor people work for what is in effect slave money. I do not care where on the ship they are they make my holiday and deserve part of the group tip.

Would you leave your family for 9 months I doubt it. So lobby for proper pay. The cruise lines will squeal as would tier margins.

I can't imagine leaving my family for 9 months, but on the other hand, whether the cruise line ups their salary and passes it onto us in fares or we continue the service charge street, it is the same and the crew seems to be content with what they are earning. Many stay with the same cruise line for years and years. Who is to say, what is a living wage and when the crew comes from all over the world, how do you suppose it would be decided what is a living wage? Remember these workers are not from the USA.

Apologies. I thought you were suggesting everyone should just go along with the DSC. As to a Guaranteed wage, fine but good luck ever getting that when you are dealing with the world and not just the US.

I can't imagine leaving my family for 9 months, but on the other hand, whether the cruise line ups their salary and passes it onto us in fares or we continue the service charge street, it is the same and the crew seems to be content with what they are earning. Many stay with the same cruise line for years and years. Who is to say, what is a living wage and when the crew comes from all over the world, how do you suppose it would be decided what is a living wage? Remember these workers are not from the USA.

Thanks but that is my point.

Why should an USA company charging western prices pay its staff on the basis of where they the staff live. Nita you alomost (although I know you are not) agreeing with slavery.

By you suggestion I should pay a foreign member of staff who comes to the UK from somewhere else a salary based on where they normally live? No I pay the full UK rate.

It is about time the cruise industry woke up and smelt the coffee. Yes many staff stay but many also leave

Just because what they pay feels good to these people does not make it so. Why do you think the only brits you see on the ships are in senor positions - it is simple because they would not work for such pitiful salaries. Every room steward we have ever had is Fillipino - no surprise why and yes we always tip these people separately as well as the DSC. Not to make up thier salary but to reward them for the amazing job they do.

Why have the lovely Eastern Europeans left in flood since they joined the EU. Because thy can and have to be paid a proper salary.

It is any wonder the cruise industry is made up of crew from developing countries.

The industry is going to pay the price as jobs become more freely available in these countries.

Let me give you an example - In the UK industry used to employed in the UK many Malaysians - excellent hard working staff. Not any more because they no longer need to leave home.

Let me tell you the crew are not happy generally with pay - they are happy to have a job two very different aspects.

The elephant in the room is the profits the cruise industry needs to keep its fleet afloat and pay shareholders and top management super ridiculous compensation. It is capital intensive and the costs are mounting and prices I suggest are now peaking before other holidays are sought.

I have NOT seen any empirical evidence but anecdotally the UK market is becoming a very tough place for NCL. I have reason to believe Premium all inclusive has pushed fares over the top and is proving to be a bit of an albatross. It has been seen through and NCL have been trying to push it but now seem to have been less upfront about the product All other major lines are increasing summer UK presence so no flights and all inclusive at far better prices. You should note that TA are not prevelant in UK and people book with online discounters PRICE is the driver and there are not many who would say NCL at any price. For anyone who wants to know we love NCL product and people

Edited by bmwman

Jeeze....if we buy Nike products we are buying from Made In China. China, a Communist nation.

We don't see those workers and as a result we don't care as long as we like the product we put on our bodies, or use, or allow our most favored athletes to endorse. We put all that out of our minds, or more likely, none of the details are entering into our minds to begin with.

On cruise ships, where it is much more intimate to interact with staff from nations all over the world, its important to some guests, who are giving souls, to be affected by the details and plight of the staff and not want to penalize people who are easily recognized as working hard, for them.

Spare me the idea that the crew are slaves. They are bettering themselves and possibly their families off of the cruiselines backs. Just as Nike does, as a for example with the China workers. It's a win for big business and a win for the employees.

Only the strong survive.

Thanks but that is my point.

Why should an USA company charging western prices pay its staff on the basis of where they the staff live. Nita you alomost (although I know you are not) agreeing with slavery.

How can you support such an industry? Aren't you part of the problem? If you really feel the workers are exploited you have to realize without YOU they would not be exploited. It's why we prosecute people who buy the heads of endangered animals ... without the "market" - you buying the product - the exploitation stops.

How can you support such an industry? Aren't you part of the problem? If you really feel the workers are exploited you have to realize without YOU they would not be exploited. It's why we prosecute people who buy the heads of endangered animals ... without the "market" - you buying the product - the exploitation stops.

Sorry but I do NOT support the industry READ my posts.

Jeeze....if we buy Nike products we are buying from Made In China. China, a Communist nation.

We don't see those workers and as a result we don't care as long as we like the product we put on our bodies, or use, or allow our most favored athletes to endorse. We put all that out of our minds, or more likely, none of the details are entering into our minds to begin with.

On cruise ships, where it is much more intimate to interact with staff from nations all over the world, its important to some guests, who are giving souls, to be affected by the details and plight of the staff and not want to penalize people who are easily recognized as working hard, for them.

Spare me the idea that the crew are slaves. They are bettering themselves and possibly their families off of the cruiselines backs. Just as Nike does, as a for example with the China workers. It's a win for big business and a win for the employees.

Only the strong survive.

Slaves - paid less than the market rate They are.

What I discovered and found odd was that if we choose to prepay tips at current rate prior to our October sailing, our insurance rate increases! Our decision was that with only an additional $3 per person cost at the higher rate for a 7-day sailing, we will wait to pay the tips once on board.

With a 9-day sailing booked with RCL, our cruise rate is actually lower than our 7-day sailing with NCL. So, not only is NCL raising its tipping costs their cruise rates are higher. Last year their tips were also raised.

MARAPRINCE

What I discovered and found odd was that if we choose to prepay tips at current rate prior to our October sailing, our insurance rate increases! Our decision was that with only an additional $3 per person cost at the higher rate for a 7-day sailing, we will wait to pay the tips once on board.

With a 9-day sailing booked with RCL, our cruise rate is actually lower than our 7-day sailing with NCL. So, not only is NCL raising its tipping costs their cruise rates are higher. Last year their tips were also raised.

MARAPRINCE

Are you comparing like dates, times of the year, itineraries, etc.