Service charge increase fleetwide

Rileyz

I really want to know if the staff gets this money. I have no problem with it if that’s the case but I doubt it honestly.

Have wondered this as well for many years after "auto tips" began. My first few cruises, I remember handing tips in envelopes to staff on last night of the cruise.

Auto-tips made it easier and initially I didn't question it... Still handed additional cash to those going above and beyond.

With every passing year though, I've wondered if the hardworking staff-members serving us really get all the money or if the cruise company skims some of it.

Having previously worked in the hospitality/food beverage industry here in Florida where trainees at the [mostly reputable--for this industry] company I worked for were shocked that all tips they made were theirs to keep--that the restaurant manager/owner didn't keep a percentage (which would've been illegal in my home state)--well...nothing would surprise me...

I suspect a change in the ability to adjust the Discretionary Service Charge may be coming soon.

I agree and many others have the same prediction.

More and more passengers seem to be adjusting their Discretionary Service Charge and I have a feeling NCL is looking very hard on how to limit or eliminate the ability.

The "hidden" way would be to increase the fare, add the "Free Gratuities/Service Charges/Tips/whateveryouwanttocallit" back to the Free at Sea promos, and people will believe that they are "saving" by taking that promo. Nobody will remove or reduce the DSC if they never paid it even though they actually paid it (and then some) with the higher fare.

NCL keeps jacking the charge up and from all the information I have gathered, the crew is not being rewarded with these increases.

Source: Dozens of cruises on NCL and many crew I consider friends who seem to tell me the truth about what actually happens at NCL.

Kindly tell us in detail what exactly is the truth and what actually happens in NCL.

Just curious, POA was in Hawaii when you worked on her so you were entitled to the protection of all American labor laws....right? That is a VERY different experience than what all the workers on other NCL ships experience. No minimum wage and no overtime!

The ships flying a different flag don't get US minimum wage, but they do get a minimum wage and overtime based on the ITF Seafarer's union, It's not the kind of wage we would expect as the rich people being served by the workers on the ship, but it is a minimum and not the "$50 a month" that many people claim. You can see the basic minimums on their website and if you search, you can also see that NCL ships are signatory to the union, although the details of that union agreement are between the ship's captain, the workers, and their union.

dqrhaTcL8jFXPBkO9RG8H4KQcP3B03bEQs027SZAt8b4kBmON9jV12vupB9twg6cEdJX3_PVyy9ONRSnmc_IZrc4H6hEYOAe1jOgo88PlxUgL1VrwA3hC1IbL2Iv1_qit_vN1wHWPvkhioI35-yF24mZmscfmCmjA502h3GXYomVWNS9FotcYAx5QhSTH4wokZD51YS90zRGSThtHLf3Zr8Oph0lvJZnLTn13-23WD05arykmoUYIf24L3Wd6JIMMrjtWvoj4QusTMfl9coRjezT6kIfDTWSTMZy0IZmEuS83Um7DPsYGtV46t6vMNWyeTx9Q-YK2I76F6QVEht0cE5Qm_0HKXdyW_ihNzbgdRO3Tg0CQEwXNzd6_3x7n5ki10zQVmTNwzac2QaA-rb4E2i52YcTy9ZR6d5yqwMSm5t5gZg4dVY-enWsUrLEpZ8F21t06f5_b2UYfVgzIns9Rdl6nF8wA7hwj9GGQPazzQW5W2khfcgc9UVRCG6ykcGPhDBs5OyN8zUooS2hdQ8T5Js-_bWi2qab6_wSNYJcuYlb3pa_paFdrC4M4l5gT_hM5EEmTRvCI2NogHklX6s8IY4Usu8PTYo5nUtkL-eHBh2PqS4oku8cb2NagPYY7Umz4Jn1OtHEamSO0AXGXEZ8hBEb6KKay5gF=w933-h887-no

Please provide evidence of your claims, rather than hurl unsubstantiated allegations toward the cruise line.

Why, do you work for ncl? Why are you so protective of a faceless corporation?

Why do public companies not release this information? Should it not be in their accounts?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That same wait staff also covers the dining room at breakfast and or lunch or in the buffets. Because you are not using for dinner in the MDR does not mean that they are not working through out your cruise and you are not seeing them.

But they are still being paid out of dsc, because if the specialty restaurants are empty they work in the mdr. Hence ncl is double dipping

I agree and many others have the same prediction.

The "hidden" way would be to increase the fare, add the "Free Gratuities/Service Charges/Tips/whateveryouwanttocallit" back to the Free at Sea promos, and people will believe that they are "saving" by taking that promo. Nobody will remove or reduce the DSC if they never paid it even though they actually paid it (and then some) with the higher fare.

I agree and it would be end of discussion. I never understand why people are anti incorporating the dsc into the cruise fare? If you are pro paying dsc why not just be pro the dsc being part of cruise fares and the workers salaries are guaranteed? Is it because people like to feel special that they have “tipped”

I think it says as long as you pay before you sail.

Still inflation on a NCL cruise is higher than anything else. and it seems like quality has gone down in the last couple years at a steady pace (Mainly food and service).

I still love cruising NCL but man it feels like they are sticking it to us.

apparently they are not the highest but I am not going to argue this. I will say, service and food, has certainly not gone down in my opinion. The service, that probably depends on the ship. i do think the mega ship offers less decent service than the mid sized or small ships as some call them. The food is so improved in the past 5 years it isn't funny. There was a time, even me, a true loyalist would agree the quality was suffering, but in the past 5 years I think it has improved fantastically. The only changes made for the worst in my opinion is the lack of lobster and who really cares when one thinks about the quality of the Lobster they used to serve? I guess the other quality question might be the buffet. I used to think it was fantastic, not so anymore, but that could have to do with eaten it too many times.

I have to agree the DSC or whatever they choose to call it is getting up there a bit, but the other lines have either already upped theirs or will following this.

I really want to know if the staff gets this money. I have no problem with it if that’s the case but I doubt it honestly.

They don't. I spoke with a waiter on the Dawn on my cruise last month and he indicated that they see about 1-2%.

Of course an incremental $14 is affordable to almost everyone. That's why they do it this way. We're on a 16-day, family of 4. So, our "service charge" was already $895.36. It's one thing to say it's "only" another $32.64, but the additional $32.64 is on top of a surplus charge bringing it up to close to a thousand dollars.

Also, it's just so deceptive and cynical. It's like hotel resort fees on steroids. Imagine if you got an e-mail from NCL saying, "We know you booked your cruise for $1800, but we decided that we want more money, so your cruise fare is now $1815. I know we promised that it would only be $1800, but really, it's only $15 and you're spending $1800 on your cruise, so you can totally afford it. You'll be charged at the pier, unless you want to prepay the supposedly discretionary part of the cruise fare."

It is what it is. I'm spitting into the wind, I know -- it's a waste of time I guess complaining about these really cynical marketing things that hotels and cruise lines, and even airlines now, are doing to make the fare look as low as possible and drive ancillary revenue. The spin is just so insincere.

You are given the chance to pay before your sail date and save that 32.64. So really not an issue with this cruise.

I know none of us want to pay more ever for anything, but golly don’t we want our salaries to increase occasionally? Don’t we want our businesses to make more profit? It is pretty much life and has been since the beginning of time.

They don't. I spoke with a waiter on the Dawn on my cruise last month and he indicated that they see about 1-2%.

Do you ask employees at your local restaurants their salaries and pay? Do you ask the employees at the stores you shop these types of questions? Do you ask your accounting/tax firm how they pay their employees? I know I don’t.

If the pay was not decent and MUCH better than they can get at home, they would not work these ships for years and decades. I feel if they are speaking to passengers about their pay or lack there of, they are fishing for bigger tips.

1-2% sounds VERY high! That would mean that only 50-100 crew member partake in the DSC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alas it's business, NCL doesn't appear to be having much trouble selling its product, so economic theory says raise the price until such time as load factors soften; they are responsible to their shareholders.

...and in the grand scheme of things this is not unexpected and not unreasonable.

Riley is allowed to doubt it - she doesn't need to substantiate her opiniom. She didn't make a false claim and say " I have no problem with it if that’s the case but it's not!" How about asking NCL to provide evidence that they do give all the increases to the crew?

exactly, bravo..

Do you ask employees at your local restaurants their salaries and pay? Do you ask the employees at the stores you shop these types of questions? Do you ask your accounting/tax firm how they pay their employees? I know I don’t.

If the pay was not decent and MUCH better than they can get at home, they would not work these ships for years and decades. I feel if they are speaking to passengers about their pay or lack there of, they are fishing for bigger tips.

Where does my post say I asked him? He was more than happy to volunteer information. He never said they don't have good jobs; he said that the money NCL claims is "gratuities" is not.

Its an increase of $.51 per day per person on my upcomming cruise in Haven. I think we can handle it.

Glad to hear you can "handle it" in the Haven.....but the increase for us in a Mini-Suite is not $.51 per day but a full $1.00/day....when we booked it was $13.50/day......now $14.50/day unless paid by March 31?? It is not a case of 'affording' it, it is the fact that it has gone up and up each and every year like everything else.....and it does affect the bottom line for some maybe not as fortunate as you affording a cabin/suite in the Haven! :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you can "handle it" in the Haven.....but the increase for us in a Mini-Suite is not $.51 per day but a full $1.00/day....when we booked it was $13.50/day......now $14.50/day unless paid by March 31?? It is not a case of 'affording' it, it is the fact that it has gone up and up each and every year like everything else.....and it does affect the bottom line for some maybe not as fortunate as you affording a cabin/suite in the Haven! :rolleyes:

If you pay the DSC online prior to your cruise, it should still be $13.50.. it happened to us in 2015 but we'd been booked for a year & half so only paid the lessor amount.