Norwegian increases gratuities from 1 April 2018

drsel

What do you mean by "up in arms about it". What will you do? What are your choices?

Hi everyone. I think that I am going to adjust the service charge, gratuities down to $13.99 or $13.50 per person per day at guest services. The disconnect in my mind is that NCL is basically telling me what their service is worth. I think service charges, gratuities, etc should be left to the discretion of the person receiving the service, not the company providing it. I certainly value the great service that the hardworking NCL crew provides to its guests, but $14.50 per person per day is excessive in my opinion. I think I will allow $13-$14 per person per day on my onboard account which is what I believe the service is worth based on my prior cruises on NCL and then do what we've done in the past, which is provide additional cash amounts to crew members that deliver platinum level service.

It's too bad the crew won't see a penny of their 'gratuity' increase. NCL uses obscure language to deny the crew their rightful tips.

That is one of the reason I remove from my account and tip out the people I think should be tipped. Don't want to start another tipping thread but will never agree to this form of stealing.

What if you prepay gratuities and then are dissatisfied with your service onboard? Are you able to get a partial refund if you wish to adjust the amount? I have a feeling you would be out of luck if this happened.

Here is something I wondered about, if I already paid for my Gratuities for my drink Package and dining packages, why am I still paying full gratuities?

Just wondered why this wasnt reduced off my bottom line

What if you prepay gratuities and then are dissatisfied with your service onboard? Are you able to get a partial refund if you wish to adjust the amount? I have a feeling you would be out of luck if this happened.

NCL changes policy pretty frequently, but last time I cruised them their policy was that you emailed a form you obtained on board after the cruise to get a refund check that was promised in 4 weeks. People were saying it was taking 6 - 8 weeks to get it.

They may have returned to the policy that you go to the customer service desk, say you want them adjusted, and they adjust them onboard, before final payment.

Here is something I wondered about, if I already paid for my Gratuities for my drink Package and dining packages, why am I still paying full gratuities?

Gratuities on the promo packages are a separate thing from the DSC.

Why prepaid in the first place? Why have to wait weeks for ma refund of the money if you not happy with the service? You will have a on board bill anyways so what difference will it make paying them at the end? It will only allow you to adjust if you want and not wait weeks for a refund.

Why prepaid in the first place? Why have to wait weeks for ma refund of the money if you not happy with the service? You will have a on board bill anyways so what difference will it make paying them at the end? It will only allow you to adjust if you want and not wait weeks for a refund.

The question to which you are replying is asking about the service charge on the UBP and the SDP. These charges (when applicable) are separate from the DSC and must be paid before boarding.

The question to which you are replying is asking about the service charge on the UBP and the SDP. These charges (when applicable) are separate from the DSC and must be paid before boarding.

No the OP clearly posted:

Norwegian Cruise Line is making a nominal adjustment to its daily service charges, effective April 1, 2018. Norwegian's discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to the onboard staff dedicated to delivering superior guest service throughout the cruise. "

This does not need to be prepaid. It can be paid at the end of the cruise and can be adjusted.

Bartenders and the people working in the Specialty Restaurants aren't included in the DSC basically because not everybody will receive service from them.

Do we have to pay the same amount for our 3 and 5 years old?

I think charging the same for all 4 pax in a cabin when two are so young is monstrous. I would cancel the DSC for the two children, but definitely tip extra to the cabin steward who has to somehow work around those in a crowded room.

I think charging the same for all 4 pax in a cabin when two are so young is monstrous. I would cancel the DSC for the two children, but definitely tip extra to the cabin steward who has to somehow work around those in a crowded room.

Are you serious? Do you know what kind of a mess a 3 and 5 year old can make while eating? Who do you think cleans up after them? It isn’t the NCL fairy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Originally posted by yankees111 Are you serious? Do you know what kind of a mess a 3 and 5 year old can make while eating? Who do you think cleans up after them? It isn’t the NCL fairy!

Are you serious? Do you know what kind of a mess a 3 and 5 year old can make while eating? Who do you think cleans up after them? It isn’t the NCL fairy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cleaning up is part of the cruise fare charged for the guest. Stealing of funds and calling it a daily gratuity is not. The poster should removal all the daily service fees and only if a tip is earned.

As was posted earlier, the 3 year old does not get a DSC charge.