Handicap accessible waitlist

We are booked on the Oasis for April 8th and my son's in-laws just booked today.

They are currently booked in a Js but really need an accessible cabin which they are wait-listed for.

What are the chances of them getting one between now and the date of our cruise?

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

To me, it does not seem very likely that one will pop up in the short left before the cruise. If you have not already done so, you might want to post the issue on the roll call. There is a small chance somebody there will be in a position to give up an accessible cabin. ....Sometimes people book an accessible cabin way ahead of time and it turns out they don’t need it by time cruise comes around. For example, an elderly parent was originally going to cruise with them, but parent is no longer in condition to go. Or somebody with a medical issue booked an accessible cabin a year ago, but now they are doing so much better they might not need it. Sometimes a gty passenger is assigned an accessible cabin. And, of course, once in a while an able bodied person books an accessible cabin for their own reason.

I’ll be on your cruise in a standard CP balcony, so I can’t help. I hope they get the cabin they need.

Slim to none....do they need a roll-in shower and grab bars? Is one or both in wheelchairs and can't walk at all? If so, they may not be able to do this cruise without an accessible cabin.

If they can walk and do a "step up" into the bathroom, you can order a shower seat and perhaps a raised toilet seat by calling "special needs". If they can't ambulate at all..a JS isn't going to work well...while there is plenty of cabin space, there is a step up into the bathroom, where there is HIGH sided tub....anyone with mobility issues will have a very tough time with that.

We were booked on the Oasis for April 15th, my father in law ended up in the hospital three weeks ago then followed with rehab to learn to walk again, needless to say he uses a walker so we ended up upgrading our cabins to JS so that its easier for him to maneuver around the cabin. I also ordered a chair for the shower and something for the toilet that has bars.

Does anybody have a photo of the step in the bathroom so I can take a look at it to see if he have problems? I didn't know there was a step to get into the bathtub.

We were booked on the Oasis for April 15th, my father in law ended up in the hospital three weeks ago then followed with rehab to learn to walk again, needless to say he uses a walker so we ended up upgrading our cabins to JS so that its easier for him to maneuver around the cabin. I also ordered a chair for the shower and something for the toilet that has bars.

Does anybody have a photo of the step in the bathroom so I can take a look at it to see if he have problems? I didn't know there was a step to get into the bathtub.

You do know that a JS has a tub, not a walk-in shower. While I love a JS, I have arthritis and have difficulty getting in and out of the tub. I use the method I learned in rehab after my hip replacement. If he cannot get over the step into the bathroom easily, no way he can get into the tub.

If they need an accessible room why would they book a nonaccessible room? These room are few and far between. We have to book them 1+ years out. If they can not make do with a nonaccessible room they should not have booked. And if they can than they should not try to take rooms from the people that need them.

Does anybody have a photo of the step in the bathroom so I can take a look at it to see if he have problems? I didn't know there was a step to get into the bathtub.[/quot

Junior suite' s bathroom is very similar to a standard hotel bathroom; probably not as big, but a toilet, sink and bathtub. A full-size tub that you step in - a regular bath tub like at home - that's also the shower. There is not a separate walk in shower. Hope that makes sense.

You do know that a JS has a tub, not a walk-in shower. While I love a JS, I have arthritis and have difficulty getting in and out of the tub. I use the method I learned in rehab after my hip replacement. If he cannot get over the step into the bathroom easily, no way he can get into the tub.
Ugh i will have to ask my son if they knew that.

I doubt that will work for the in laws.

Thanks to everybody for the replies,even you RJH.

Bill

Gerif hello, what is this step, where is it? Do you mean the step to get from the cabin into the bathroom thats only a few inches or is there another step I am not aware about? If your talking about the few inch step to get into the bathroom, he can get in there, he is able to lift the walker up and get it into the bathroom, we got him the shower chair and it has handles so he should be able to get into the tub that way. I tried to get a handicap cabin there were none available, also if he had the regular cabin I don't think that shower chair fit in that small size shower, I would think it is much better fitting into the tub?

Grandma Dazzles- We will also be staying the night at the Residence Port Canaveral,so he also has to use that shower/tub combo, also on the ship, looking at the photos online of the bathroom in the JS the bathtub has two handles on the wall.

Bill- I hope things work out for you!

Another thought, there are showers in the gym so if dad for some reason can't get into the tub he can shower there.

He won’t have a problem getting into the bathroom—that would only be a problem if he were in a wheelchair. There are large showers in the gym he could use. I just know I have difficulty getting in and out of the tub (and I think a GS tub is even worse).

Hi Geri , yes, he could use the showers in the gym if he can't get in but we think he be fine and able to. I just remembered, I have to call special needs and reserve a wheelchair for him to take him on the ship, he doesn't want it but we feel its best and I going to need one also so I just tell dad we have his and her wheelchairs lol, once we get onboard we be fine. I am so glad we upgraded to the JS it be alot more comfortable for dad as he probably will want to go back to the cabin and rest at times during the day.

Ugh i will have to ask my son if they knew that.

I doubt that will work for the in laws.

Thanks to everybody for the replies,even you RJH.

Bill

I have mobility problems, where I've had back surgery, but my balance and mobility is not too good. We were upgraded to a JS on our last cruise in November, and I didn't realise when we accepted (I liked the idea of more room in the cabin) it that it had a bathtub and not a shower.

When we boarded the ship, and looked at the bathroom, it does have a fair height to step over to get into the bath tub, and the grab rail we had (we were on Jewel), was not really in an accessible place to be of use, because it was behind the shower curtain that overhung the bath. I had to ensure DH was in the cabin to help me back out over the tub safely.

I could've had a board which went over the bath tub, but after getting into the tub, to try to sit on the board, it would be far too low, to get back up from it!!!

Gerif hello, what is this step, where is it? Do you mean the step to get from the cabin into the bathroom thats only a few inches or is there another step I am not aware about? If your talking about the few inch step to get into the bathroom, he can get in there, he is able to lift the walker up and get it into the bathroom, we got him the shower chair and it has handles so he should be able to get into the tub that way. I tried to get a handicap cabin there were none available, also if he had the regular cabin I don't think that shower chair fit in that small size shower, I would think it is much better fitting into the tub?

Grandma Dazzles- We will also be staying the night at the Residence Port Canaveral,so he also has to use that shower/tub combo, also on the ship, looking at the photos online of the bathroom in the JS the bathtub has two handles on the wall.

Bill- I hope things work out for you!

Another thought, there are showers in the gym so if dad for some reason can't get into the tub he can shower there.

Thanks cruisegirl. I found out he is able to use the tub so he is good on that front.

My sons father in law flying around the ship on his scooter. He is a very friendly guy. We did Jamaica last year for the kids wedding and by the end of the week everybody at Sandals resort knew him.:)

My daughter in law says he will be able to manage OK if they don't get the accessible cabin.

Hope you guys have a great cruise. You are on the week after us I believe.

Bill

Hi Bill,

So glad he is able to use the tub because that room is so much roomier for him to get around. To bad we aren't on the same cruise would of loved to chat with you all. You have yourself a wonderful cruise, we are on the 15th sailing. Happy Cruising!