Initial thoughts on K’dam

KirkNC

HAL missed a good bet when the new powers that be tried to compete with the generic offerings of the other mega passenger mainline cruise ships. Total waste of decades of good niche, smaller traditional cruise branding, they are now throwing away. HAL will now be chasing its tail, and losing everything in the process.

Very poor management decision. HAL should just keep being HAL, and let the others try and out-steroid each other with the superficial glitz and the passenger base those ships attract. HAL needs to distinguish itself from those brands; not compete with them..

100% with you!!

HAL missed a good bet when the new powers that be tried to compete with the generic offerings of the other mega passenger mainline cruise ships. Total waste of decades of good niche, smaller traditional cruise branding, they are now throwing away. HAL will now be chasing its tail, and losing everything in the process.

Very poor management decision. HAL should just keep being HAL, and let the others try and out-steroid each other with the superficial glitz and the passenger base those ships attract. HAL needs to distinguish itself from those brands; not compete with them..

I agree somewhat, but also think it's a tad unfair. I don't think HAL is competing with the mega passenger mainline cruise ships. I'd say its biggest competition is Celebrity, which is a very fine product. It seems the K-dam is a step toward Celebrity. Is this a good or bad thing? Well, I suppose that's a matter of opinion, and only time will tell if it was a financially beneficial decision.

I love the Koningsdam. Bright, beautiful, sparkling clean spaces, amazing art and themes, fabulous showroom and music, excellent food and, of course, the wonderful hard-working crew. I even love the MDR. I much prefer this ship to the darker, older, ships, and I am glad I have this option. I think HAL made a great business decision.

I think the same things were said when the Eurodam came out! And what kind of name is that anyway! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I have booked a Caribbean Cruise on the K'dam in January 2019. It's a very "port intensive" cruise. Given the increased size of this ship, can any of you comment on the embarkation and de-embarkation process? Crowding and congestion have been mentioned on a number of posts and we are concerned about overly crowded waiting and staging areas. Please let us know your recent experiences.

I did not notice significant differences in any of those areas compared to the Eurodam, Nieuw Amsterdam or Zuiderdam.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't think that HAL ships should necessarily be the older style.

But I do see a lot of things on the K that just seem to look, well, AWFUL.

Like, what were they thinking?

Amazing is not the adjective that first springs to my mind. Much of it is too weird for my taste, and some is downright ugly IMO!
Can you provide specifics? Sorry if you already said, and I missed it.

I love the Koningsdam. Bright, beautiful, sparkling clean spaces, amazing art and themes, fabulous showroom and music, excellent food and, of course, the wonderful hard-working crew. I even love the MDR. I much prefer this ship to the darker, older, ships, and I am glad I have this option. I think HAL made a great business decision.
I totally agree with you! We love this ship! As far as the artwork is concerned, I believe that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not buying the art, I just get to appreciate it, or not, for the duration of my cruise. I'm very happy that HAL now has two ships which are comparable to the newest S class Celebrity ships. There is something for everybody!

hey, StickeyMouse!

We have the cruise you booked on hold right now. Wish we had beat the small price increase!

Anyhow, as mentioned, beauty can be in the eye of the beholder.

But, seriously, from the photos, some of the design and decor I am seeing just looks lame.

When you see bright crayola red, with bright crayola yellow... IMHO, that is just on the level of an older Carnival ship.

Take a look a Canaletto. THAT is supposed to be a nice upscale specialty. restaurant? Have heard others comment on this space as well.

Lets not even talk about the 'belly of the whale' architecture of the cavernous single Main Dining Room.

Main feature in the lobby/atrium area seems to be those odd huge soaring things that look like some kind of kitchen implement, like a metal wire something another like a pastry cutter or whisk or metal/wire scoop to take the food out fry-daddy.....

We have a cruise booked on the Regal Princess.

Not old, dark, 'European'... and not 'Carnival'.

Very nicely done architecture and design.

Still lots of light.

Beautiful tile and marble.

Maybe that will help describe the way I am seeing it.

I don't think many beholders would see beauty in this:

kdsxt5.jpg

I'm sure there are lots of people who like it. Art, like food, is very subjective. Just because I, or you, don't like it, doesn't mean that is has no merit. Strictly a personal opinion. Since the artwork is not coming home with me to hang in my bedroom, it is not something that I even consider when walking around the ship.

True, Lady Arwen....

But, that 'dripping', stark, black and white atrocity is def. 'hideous' to me.

Not simply, 'not to my liking'.

A cruise ship should be pleasant, enjoyable, and/or fun.

That should be the atmosphere created/projected.

I think somebody would have to really 'off' to see pleasant or enjoyable or fun in that thing.

WTH were they thinking??????

I'm sure examples of what people think are nice and ugly art can be found on any ship. I like what they did on K'dam. In my opinion, this sort of art in the elevator bank...

enhance

...is a heck of an improvement over this:

enhance

I'm sure examples of what people think are nice and ugly art can be found on any ship.]
Yes, I liked the violin ship, and the various "lace" sculptures. That's the type of art I expect on HAL ships. But there's far too little of that and too much weird stuff for me. Edited by catl331

hey, StickeyMouse!

We have the cruise you booked on hold right now. Wish we had beat the small price increase!

Anyhow, as mentioned, beauty can be in the eye of the beholder.

But, seriously, from the photos, some of the design and decor I am seeing just looks lame.

When you see bright crayola red, with bright crayola yellow... IMHO, that is just on the level of an older Carnival ship.

Take a look a Canaletto. THAT is supposed to be a nice upscale specialty. restaurant? Have heard others comment on this space as well.

Lets not even talk about the 'belly of the whale' architecture of the cavernous single Main Dining Room.

Main feature in the lobby/atrium area seems to be those odd huge soaring things that look like some kind of kitchen implement, like a metal wire something another like a pastry cutter or whisk or metal/wire scoop to take the food out fry-daddy.....

We have a cruise booked on the Regal Princess.

Not old, dark, 'European'... and not 'Carnival'.

Very nicely done architecture and design.

Still lots of light.

Beautiful tile and marble.

Maybe that will help describe the way I am seeing it.

Ah, ok, I remember your previous comments now. But I'm confused as to why you'd book on the Nieuw Statendam, when the Koningsdam gets under your skin so much?

I'm sure examples of what people think are nice and ugly art can be found on any ship. I like what they did on K'dam. In my opinion, this sort of art in the elevator bank...

enhance

...is a heck of an improvement over this:

enhance

I almost made a comment about the "weird chair collection," but your example beat me to it.

I think the ship made out of a viola was very cool, nautical and musical at the same time. One of my favorites on board. I also liked the "assemblage" portraits above the stairs in that area.

There was a lot of art I didn't like on K'dam, and I find it annoying that there are only two paintings by Captain Card--and those are hidden in a corner of the Crows Nest.

Glenn, Thank you for posting that question, That is a concern of ours, especially at the various ports. Is yours a Jan.23 cruise out of Fort Lauderdale?

Yes, we are booked for this cruise. We have never sailed on large ships before, so we were a little concerned about crowding and congestion.

There was a lot of art I didn't like on K'dam, and I find it annoying that there are only two paintings by Captain Card--and those are hidden in a corner of the Crows Nest.
Oh no ... I missed those! :( :(

Here's another piece I liked

2nhhpi0.jpg

I will certainly agree with you there. That art has been my favorite on HAL.

Oh no ... I missed those! :( :(

Yeah, they were kinda hidden in the port, aft section of the Crows Nest.

enhance

So, just because I do not enjoy some of the decor on one ship, (and yes, think some of it leaves a lot to be desired) should mean that I do not book the new ship???

Also, not sure that some of the decor would be a reason to not cruise.

Especially when, for us, this cruise is about seeing this area of Europe, for the first time.

Not as much about the decor on the ship.

I will admit that I hope there is some different decor and maybe improvement.

Believe me, I have done my research on ships and itineraries... And, with the other scheduled options. (older/lessor ships, and missing some of the itinerary that we are looking for) right now this new HAL ship is a very real option.

Not sure why anyone other than a HAL cheerleader would let some difference of opinion 'get under their skin'?