CPAPS, medical devices and Power Strips

Hello

There's been some comments about power strips, surge protectors and the like lately, and because my husband and I both use CPAP machines for sleep apnea ( and therefore a power strip with an extension cord) I was concerned.

I called NCL, and they said that they would allow power strips and longer extension cords for medical devices. They will also supply distilled water. I assume this is through the special assistance department, so one might need to call ahead. She also said that guest services and assistance would be aware of the situation and be prepared to help if we had any complications.

I am prepared that we will probably encounter an issue during a security check. I always carry my cpap in my carry on, so I'm hoping that will suffice without needing to call anyone else.

Speaking from personal experience (but with only one CPAP device) - no problems. Do contact the Special Needs department to ensure that you will have distilled water (if for some reason it is not in your cabin when you arrive, ask your room steward). We brought our own extension cord (no problem) but NO power bar. We took the CPAP and extension cord as carry-on - again no problems.

Speaking from personal experience (but with only one CPAP device) - no problems. Do contact the Special Needs department to ensure that you will have distilled water (if for some reason it is not in your cabin when you arrive, ask your room steward). We brought our own extension cord (no problem) but NO power bar. We took the CPAP and extension cord as carry-on - again no problems.

Right.

I think OP is confusing "power cord" with "extension cord".

My understanding is that one presents a risk, and the other doesn't.

For OP: Is there a reason you cannot use regular extension cords rather than power strips?

If you don't have extension cords and power strips are taken from you, that could be a problem (?).

GC

Right.

I think OP is confusing "power cord" with "extension cord".

My understanding is that one presents a risk, and the other doesn't.

For OP: Is there a reason you cannot use regular extension cords rather than power strips?

If you don't have extension cords and power strips are taken from you, that could be a problem (?).

GC

A power strip only presents a risk if it is surge protected. A non-surge protected power strip is merely an extension cord with a switch on it.

My DW and I both carry about a 10 foot old fashion 2 prong extension cord i n our CPAPs. You get them at Lowes or Home Depot for about $7.00. Never had an issue with them. Depending on the ship and cabin you will need a long one because the only electrical outlet may be across the room. I wouldn't bring any kind of power strip since the surge protected kind are not permitted and some of them are hard to tell the difference and who want to start a fight at the beginning.

A power strip only presents a risk if it is surge protected. A non-surge protected power strip is merely an extension cord with a switch on it.

Ah, thanks.

I've only seen the term "power strip" used on the "things" with the surge protector.

The other, I just thought of as "an extension cord with an on/off switch" :)

Thanks for clarifying, as this is an important issue.

GC

There's been some comments about power strips, surge protectors and the like lately

NCL allows non-surge protected power strips and plain extension cords. Surge protected strips are not allowed because of a fire danger (the ship's electrical system is very different from a system on land).

The cheapest power strips are not surge protected. They don't have lights, reset buttons or anything like that. Look for something like this, that should cost from $6 to $10:

BVI4DeZ-9XPgd2x_KmFbHDYEYFvgRwrLsOZI8Gz5K5YQOKbP6oKkiFHJ4G90yjhQyuZ3iqxyyMajGlhOv_cTmnVDj9eNRKr0SQBgpgBKXi6giH6_9BZ4mufunZatOJxhks-8lpzS8XtujYZpxrZJ_ADIEKGWnF4ND1VY4A2NOIhoLas28AliZ9sMWSB51nPSGxoCiY9FI4f5mmkm8KuL7wSkJGlKERaOcEKi77CVX3GzFl6XK9DvAfV8tD88UgDxRzBJMfoTlK0dJmLdhZk8vf7ynkUBjvacyVohbO6GVbKoIQ4D7SEtHi_TicuDI9Kyv7jb1lN5fPMVgVwvEr2-EDjdH8PLHF5sJTWl-hb4j0N6Fs-W2fyBpAyzQ7hCrgxMlcMp3glLZ_N23J2ESDwhwLDEXjHLKVUi6PnB-tSVV5F5Yz38k67g_Tnx2a_NpSWZPWZSscF6TykvJlCJYKxgXaWEl8HP_vswJFh1pye6njwRIux65KV4OfhOYovsRHGJBPfgiW5O5hb2YlaefZskAiem8ZZlyJJtkrv-9hFDrYxBUlz03zC5eN3fFE02KtilvJRlJ0ZzZeD2imhJuZVDFKJYkvg5qzuN6YFhxoxRoAbpF-x6qdKXq6S_M4uQh5RW8GlY1ofFO7PPwHIahJcR6S_PsDVza3YY=s838-no

In all our cruises with Norwegian, the butler or the room steward always provided us with a longer cord for my husband's CPAP. Never had issues with them about this. Yes, it did look a bit of a mess in a bigger room but somehow they always managed to fix it up to make it look better. They should always provide this.

Not sure if anyone will know this but I will give itnt try anyway. We will be in a spa suite on the Breakaway next month. Looking at the vids on this class it looks like there may be outlets at the bedside tables but it was not clear if it was outlets or just light switches. Anyone know??

This will be my first cruise with a cpap and contacting Special Needs department was easy. Like the OP states, NCL states they will no longer allow any non NCL extensions. My PCC reinforced the statement saying they have heard of clients being upset that the cords were unplugged and replaced with an NCL adapter. Although I plan to keep one with me, I will request one from NCL and if one is unavailable, I’ll have mine available as a just Incase

I have heard the same thing, however I wonder how many cords they have so we plan on bringing our own as well. They are cheap so if they take them I won't care and then they have to supply me a cord. So we will see.

phillyguy31,

I have cruised NCL out of NYC, Port Canaveral, San Juan and Miami all within the past 36 months.

I always carry a 10 foot extension cord ( not surge protected) in the CPAP machine bag. In addition, I carry a 3 outlet adapter plug ( again no surge protection) also in the CPAP machine bag.

At all 4 ports, I never had an issues getting the extension cord aboard the ship.

Unless NCL has changed the policy since February of this year, if you bring your extension cord(s) in your carry on you shouldn't have a problem.

Have a great cruise !

Regards,

Vinegarjoe

Curious what extension folks select to get to customer service and/or special needs? I can't seem to get past the saccharine but clueless reservations folks. Thanks.
You can just have your PCC or TA add to your reservation notes that distilled water or extension cord is required for cpap use. That's all I've done and on 4 cruises both have been in the room when I arrived as requested.

You can also email accessdesk@ncl.com if you have other needs.

• 4 weeks later...

This is our 1st time traveling with a C PAP. My neighbor said that at the airport they will put some kind of chemical through it make sure it is a c pap machine. DO they do this at the port as well? I am asking bc this determines if I pack it or carry it on in its own case that it comes with.

Special Needs was true to their word and had distilled water waiting for us on our April 1st cruise. And the extension cord they provided worked to keep us both breathing :):) Funny thing, we didn't need as much water in the humid Caribbean as we required at home, where it has been unusually dry.

This is our 1st time traveling with a C PAP. My neighbor said that at the airport they will put some kind of chemical through it make sure it is a c pap machine. DO they do this at the port as well? I am asking bc this determines if I pack it or carry it on in its own case that it comes with.

The only sort of "chemical" test I've had at an airport is where they swabbed the machine with a test strip, then inserted the test strip into a device to detect chemical traces.

The only sort of "chemical" test I've had at an airport is where they swabbed the machine with a test strip, then inserted the test strip into a device to detect chemical traces.

Thank you for the info , We will carry it on.

I travel frequently with my cpap and I can add some info that should calm your concerns:

- CPAP is considered a medical device and does not count against your carry on allotment

- Because it's a medical device and you need it for your health.... do NOT put it in your checked bag because it may end up where your aren't.

- Because of heighten airport security the CPAP device must be taken out and put through the scanner. Place you CPAP device in a large zip lock bag (see thru).... those bins are disgusting. Your mask, tubing and power cords can remain in the bag.

- IF the TSA flags your device for a check, they will move you off to the side and do a quick swab wipe to check for chemicals.... they do NOT apply anything to your CPAP device and it's completely safe.

- Because it's a medical device you are allowed to ask the agent to wipe down the table and then put on a new pair of CLEAN gloves. A small minority will get bothered but calmly ask for the supervisor and remind them it's a medical device and their gloves have been touching shoes, pets, bins, etc. That you consent to the check but with the table wiped and new gloves. This is actually common sense but .....

- I have noticed a pretty significant drop in TSA checks since the CPAP is now removed because the scanner can see it better.

Hope that helps

Edited by esm54687

My traveling buddy carries his CPAP in his carry on. He has never been asked to remove it at the port. San Pedro, New Orleans, New York, Boston, Miami and Seattle. I remember him being pulled aside at an airport once or twice but it may have just been a random check.

Have a great trip.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

I travel frequently with my cpap and I can add some info that should calm your concerns:

- CPAP is considered a medical device and does not count against your carry on allotment

- Because it's a medical device and you need it for your health.... do NOT put it in your checked bag because it may end up where your aren't.

- Because of heighten airport security the CPAP device must be taken out and put through the scanner. Place you CPAP device in a large zip lock bag (see thru).... those bins are disgusting. Your mask, tubing and power cords can remain in the bag.

- IF the TSA flags your device for a check, they will move you off to the side and do a quick swab wipe to check for chemicals.... they do NOT apply anything to your CPAP device and it's completely safe.

- Because it's a medical device you are allowed to ask the agent to wipe down the table and then put on a new pair of CLEAN gloves. A small minority will get bothered but calmly ask for the supervisor and remind them it's a medical device and their gloves have been touching shoes, pets, bins, etc. That you consent to the check but with the table wiped and new gloves. This is actually common sense but .....

- I have noticed a pretty significant drop in TSA checks since the CPAP is now removed because the scanner can see it better.

Hope that helps

I want to clarify I was talking about your concerns at the airport....... I've never had it inspected at a port and I carry it on

We just got off Getaway on Sunday and my husband uses a CPAP. All we had to do was ask our cabin steward for an extension cord and he brought it right over. No outlet by the bed, even USB ports, which we had on Escape. The extension cord was run under the bed and across the room to the outlet on the desk, but it was fine. It actually worked out as it was a 3 outlet extension cord, so we got 2 "bonus" outlets. ;) I also brought a multi USB plug so we could charge 4 devices using one outlet and we never had an issue there either. Hopefully you won't either. ;)

I want to clarify I was talking about your concerns at the airport....... I've never had it inspected at a port and I carry it on

I have had mine checked about 50% of the time. They always ask you to open case and take it out. I have taken my CPAP with me on several cruises and never had a problem with cords, travel, etc.