MDR food recommendations?

weathermom

Heading off on the Westerdam next week. We have cruised quite a bit, but this will be our first time on HAL.We are wondering what foods we might encounter in the MDR that we shouldn’t miss (and which ones we should skip)

I realize that tastes are individual, but with 17 nights on board, we will have lots of opportunities to try new things. Thanks in advance!!

The MDR is very accommodating. I've seen people order 2 different entrees and/or 2 different deserts because they couldn't decide. Yes it sounds gluttonous but I watched them eat both. My wife told me on our last cruise that if they had shrimp appetizers she was going to order 5 and no main entree. She's a petite lady too.

Heading off on the Westerdam next week. We have cruised quite a bit, but this will be our first time on HAL.We are wondering what foods we might encounter in the MDR that we shouldn’t miss (and which ones we should skip)

I realize that tastes are individual, but with 17 nights on board, we will have lots of opportunities to try new things. Thanks in advance!!

I am boarding the Westerdam tomorrow and will be glad to seek answers to any of your questions. Might even get lucky to get all of your menus for your 17-day.

Get the lamb, however it's prepared; I have never had bad lamb on HAL. My very first meal in the MDR I ordered salmon and it was undercooked. Ruined salmon for me for the rest of the trip, which was unfortunate since it was an Alaska cruise and there was always salmon and I like salmon (actually there is a basic salmon that is available every night). I would definitely try some of the fruit soups too; you can ask to have it as dessert if you don't want it for an appetizer. those are really good. Prime rib is also good. I had some oxtail at the suggestion of my waiter; I'd never had that before and it was delicious. And on Veendam last year I had a shortrib stroganoff that was to die for. Enjoy your cruise!

It used to be a tradition that Prime Rib would be offered during Embarkation Day's Dinner. Sometimes it still is; sometimes not. Whenever Prime Rib is available, I have always enjoyed it.

If an Indonesian entree/appetizer is on the menu, i.e. Nasi Goring, order it! Like a bit more heat? Ask for Steward for some Sambal.

Cold soups are usually very good and sometimes have rather unusual preparations that, for my palate, work.

The French Onion Soup is a stand-by that never fails to disappoint.

I very recently discovered their Swedish Pancakes for breakfast. Guess what I am going to order for my first DR breakfast on the Nieuw Statendam. (Please, HAL don't change the Breakfast menu.)

Get the lamb, however it's prepared; I have never had bad lamb on HAL. My very first meal in the MDR I ordered salmon and it was undercooked. Ruined salmon for me for the rest of the trip, which was unfortunate since it was an Alaska cruise and there was always salmon and I like salmon (actually there is a basic salmon that is available every night). I would definitely try some of the fruit soups too; you can ask to have it as dessert if you don't want it for an appetizer. those are really good. Prime rib is also good. I had some oxtail at the suggestion of my waiter; I'd never had that before and it was delicious. And on Veendam last year I had a shortrib stroganoff that was to die for. Enjoy your cruise!

I almost ordered a short rib French Onion soup..when someone else at the table got theirs I was immediately sorry I didn't!

I will be on the Westerdam tomorrow for four days and will have a daily review of my meals to give you the latest, subjective review of what I liked.

We haven’t sail HAL since 2010 so excuse me if I’m not remembering correctly, but can you order an appetizer size portion of an entree (say, a pasta) for a first course if you can’t decide between two entrees?

We haven’t sail HAL since 2010 so excuse me if I’m not remembering correctly, but can you order an appetizer size portion of an entree (say, a pasta) for a first course if you can’t decide between two entrees?

You can order anything on the MDR menu in any quantity.

On a B2B cruise in Alaska, I ordered the crab leg appetizer and received two index finger-sized legs. The second week my waiter brought be 12 crab legs for my appetizer.

My experience is you can order an entree size portion of an appetizer, but not an appetizer portion of an entree. I have tried on several ships and that is the one thing that has never been able to be done.

I know others will disagree but my favorite meal in the dining room is the Liver & Onions. They do it so well.

In the Lido, I never miss Schnitzel day, but in the Main Dining Room, I never pass up Liver & Onions. Also the turkey & dressing is very well done. I've never had a bad meal in the Main Dining Room, and the waiters work so hard to get you a meal you'll enjoy, even if it means making a plate of various parts of all the dishes on the menu. One night my brother had a plate of the various potato side dishes from everything on the menu because nothing else looked very good.

They don't mind being creative, and if you really like something, tell them and they will bring you extra servings!

Crew News-- you are absolutely amazing (and extremely informative & helpful)!! Your reviews and photos are awesome. Please keep up the good work--you're my hero~! Only downside to your wonderful efforts is the sheer magnitude of information you present--my wife already has issues with my computer time, then you came along!;)

HAL usually executes their fish of the day offering very well. As others mentioned, their Prime rib is really good but their MDR steaks are not a highlight. If you have any dietary restrictions, they'll do their best to accommodate you, though it's more of a sure thing if you have the same wait staff each night. Outside the MDR, the Dive-In Burgers are superior to even a lot of land-based burger spots - they are made-to-order and have terrific fries that come with them.

Everything sounds delicious- even the liver and onions!!

What are Swedish pancakes?

Swedish Pancakes are rolled up crepes with a warm Lingonberry filling, covered with a warm Lingonberry Sauce with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

I have seen them served with a Blueberry filling and sauce as well.

Swedish Pancakes are rolled up crepes with a warm Lingonberry filling, covered with a warm Lingonberry Sauce with a dollop of whipped cream on top.

You know, my mother was telling me the other day that she wants to try the MDR for breakfast. This does not excite me because I'm quite happy to go to the lido and get my omelet to order every day, and I don't particularly want to get dressed up for breakfast. But your description of Swedish Pancakes may have changed my mind to give the MDR breakfast a try....

I used to eat these in the German IKEAs many years ago.

When I have eaten too much during the day (like everyday?), I opt for the dinner salad - worth trying as they are often very good and adequate for an entree..

Or I'll get a second appetizer for your main course. Cheese plates are very good and just the sliced fresh fruit can be a worthy finish too. Or a cold soup for dessert- as others have previously recommended - the cold sweet fruit soups are very good. The nutmeg cold soup can be one of the best when they use fresh nutmeg.

I also agree - they do a very good job with the liver, onions ....... and bacon. Anything with potatoes - very flavorful and freshly prepared. Dutch seem to have a thing for very good potatoes - from the Dive In Fries to the mashed potatoes in the Pinnacle - all excellent.