Suck it up or not

Simbar

With that attitude, you might as well just stay home, that's gotta be cheaper than any cruise. I'm all for being frugal, but I'll look for deal on my cruise price and "splurge" on a few Cokes being served to me. I'm on vacation after all, I want a little pampering. [emoji39]

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Splurging on some overpriced warm Cokes. Livin' La Vida Loca!

IDK, something about being served from a can that's been open and sitting out on the bar skeeves me out. If I knew it was from a fountain/gun, or that they'd give a fresh can every time, I'd think differently.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I would also want fresh :)

It's interesting, Carnival seems to only use cans and many complain that they want fountain. On our Princess cruise only fountain was included in their Soda and More program and many on the Princess boards complained that fountain soda doesn't taste as good as canned. We always seem to want whatever it is we can't have;)

IDK, something about being served from a can that's been open and sitting out on the bar skeeves me out. If I knew it was from a fountain/gun, or that they'd give a fresh can every time, I'd think differently.

Just ask for a new can and take the rest with you.

I think if you had any idea what kind of nasties grow in the soda gun you might think differently.

We buy Cheers ahead of time. What I like about that is no surprise at the end as we pre-pay everything. Bubbles can be pre-paid as well and if you use your gift card purchased with a 10% discount there's your additional savings.

So my husband drinks a lot of soda. Okay, not a lot, I've never counted but Coke, Powerade, and water are his drinks. Our daughter drinks soda sparingly, and I rarely drink it (except with pizza).

So my plan has been all along for us to carry on our allowed one 12 pack of cans per person (and yes, I know the hubs will not drink 36 cans in a 7 day timeframe, but......)

However, not yet knowing what our carry ons and luggage situation looks like (cruise is in July), and being that cans are heavy, should I just suck up the cost, save the headache of yet more carry ons, and just pay for a soda package (~$100) for the hubs and daughter? For me, if I wanted a soda (rare), I'll pay the $3/$4 on board for it.

I drink two cans a day, once in a while three. My son doesn't drink it much, he might have a few on our upcoming 7-day cruise. He's taking a friend who's a soda drinker, so he might have a few more than my son. So we'll take two or three cases and that should be plenty for us. My son & I enjoy the lemonade on board, so even I don't drink as much soda with that. It won't be a problem to set a case on top of each of our carry-ons and bungee them to the handle. I'd rather pay under $5/case taking them on board than over $60 for Bubble for me alone, or $20+ for the same number of cans from the Fun Shops.

I'll empty out half a case and put a different kind in it. Be aware, some terminal employees have been known to rip the cases apart (searching for beer, more than likely) and leaving them unable to carry the sodas. You might want to bring a bag of some kind to carry them if this happens.

For those saying they wouldn't want to go all the way back to their cabin for a soda, that's what insulated travel mugs are for. ;)

If you can't afford to vacation....don't vacation....

Meaning if the 100 is going to break you, perhaps you should stay home.

Oh look, yet another new CC account being used to be rude. If you can't take a vacation without worrying so much about how others handle their own, maybe you're the one who should stay home.

I'm a little surprised to find out Carnival requires soda boxes to be carry on and not checked with luggage. Past cruises with NCL (back when they used to ALLOW soda and water to be brought on board) was delivered with the rest of the bags.
Have you seen how they load luggage on board? I surely wouldn't want my case of soda in there. Especially if it's in with my clothes.

FLybVj9o9tTi5HM_zHGQfdMNNPMb8oZAFX-YKpWSkmrTuJf8F4PVWwspScyLBofWyEvU6z-Zpoc8XdM7idZz9vnU47jISf5H_lXFt4TA0nOCWh-uDpg2HlBPWD7cV9qMzH9HZXK4Fd8JO74aufIkb60usH91SyY11kOj9PV-uF5HZ4SqQwiWMZQHbS-02erv2C0H3xpCJqotNOpI-wk9Nv2A1LCyKTkydCpUTy-u8z3hKACavqZ3-kGyQbzDNkD8FyM8iLFgvzZoNZel5yoVmHToqJvzpXGxFlJIy2UBpjyjZECtpb0EO12OEodbu772kP4mojOkGmgfdeElUKWINT3QGfUHdS7PuW2Hg7rzxR5z0rMkvQ-pD5BBb_inSUC9XJ0Mc0r_kD9nv4o-iRL5uTaKL8hUP2Jibbb3deT626DocGczEQtdTwdmjYuxFemg_XdXx7Vadu1JbSan4H9LGaOC4v6kZ0iKwfxxI9S5YcXnR1ber_wePAX7L52rlAIOOItpAhM3T4RQdiilGNhnCDvthgINOVQE2yb9iKJlQi6-TW1rMxl8_YEIJ9Vy7OAqp20qzbVYrfOogVTzfF_1KDUc86p0unY7Sj9bl5w=w408-h306-no

I drink a lot of soda. I always get the bubbles package for me and I don't carry any on. I even prefer Pepsi over Coke, but tolerate it for the week. When I'm sitting by the pool.....I don't want to run back to the room. (remember how far your room really may be). I want one with dinner & I don't want to carry one to the dining room. Or at a show later. It would be so much cheaper to bring my own, but for me much more convenient to order it where ever we may be. Same difference as everytime someone wants a beer to go the room instead of the bar.

Have you seen how they load luggage on board? I surely wouldn't want my case of soda in there. Especially if it's in with my clothes.

FLybVj9o9tTi5HM_zHGQfdMNNPMb8oZAFX-YKpWSkmrTuJf8F4PVWwspScyLBofWyEvU6z-Zpoc8XdM7idZz9vnU47jISf5H_lXFt4TA0nOCWh-uDpg2HlBPWD7cV9qMzH9HZXK4Fd8JO74aufIkb60usH91SyY11kOj9PV-uF5HZ4SqQwiWMZQHbS-02erv2C0H3xpCJqotNOpI-wk9Nv2A1LCyKTkydCpUTy-u8z3hKACavqZ3-kGyQbzDNkD8FyM8iLFgvzZoNZel5yoVmHToqJvzpXGxFlJIy2UBpjyjZECtpb0EO12OEodbu772kP4mojOkGmgfdeElUKWINT3QGfUHdS7PuW2Hg7rzxR5z0rMkvQ-pD5BBb_inSUC9XJ0Mc0r_kD9nv4o-iRL5uTaKL8hUP2Jibbb3deT626DocGczEQtdTwdmjYuxFemg_XdXx7Vadu1JbSan4H9LGaOC4v6kZ0iKwfxxI9S5YcXnR1ber_wePAX7L52rlAIOOItpAhM3T4RQdiilGNhnCDvthgINOVQE2yb9iKJlQi6-TW1rMxl8_YEIJ9Vy7OAqp20qzbVYrfOogVTzfF_1KDUc86p0unY7Sj9bl5w=w408-h306-no

First time I ever checked soda cans in, they got dented pretty bad. Every year after they were fine. I assume there were enough issues after those early years that they began to realize lots of people were bringing liquids as checked luggage and the porters learned how to deal with it appropriately. It's a moot point now.

So my husband drinks a lot of soda. Okay, not a lot, I've never counted but Coke, Powerade, and water are his drinks. Our daughter drinks soda sparingly, and I rarely drink it (except with pizza).

So my plan has been all along for us to carry on our allowed one 12 pack of cans per person (and yes, I know the hubs will not drink 36 cans in a 7 day timeframe, but......)

However, not yet knowing what our carry ons and luggage situation looks like (cruise is in July), and being that cans are heavy, should I just suck up the cost, save the headache of yet more carry ons, and just pay for a soda package (~$100) for the hubs and daughter? For me, if I wanted a soda (rare), I'll pay the $3/$4 on board for it.

We carry on 3 12 packs of pepsi...my dd 12, my mom and I. Its not very hard for us, we pack light and carry on all our own bags, put the 12 packs in a roll on. We get to port around 130pm so we can get right on and go to our room.

I don't like Coke, so having Pepsi is worth it to me and not even a bother.

I think if you had any idea what kind of nasties grow in the soda gun you might think differently.

I agree, if you've ever worked in food service or the bar biz, you know those machines are nasty. I to this day refuse to drink fountain soda.

I agree, if you've ever worked in food service or the bar biz, you know those machines are nasty. I to this day refuse to drink fountain soda.

Yup. I've seen places in Maryland shut down completely based solely on bacteria in the soda gun.

If you can't afford to vacation....don't vacation....

Meaning if the 100 is going to break you, perhaps you should stay home.

Oh come on. Lighten up.

I search for deals and money saving tips all the time. I've saved many thousands of dollars added up over many vacations by taking the time to search for ways to save.

Pennies add up to dollars. Dollars add up to more vacations. Maybe you have unlimited travel funds, but many of us do not. Don't knock somebody for trying to find the best way to portion their vacation budget. Get a life.

Oh come on. Lighten up.

I search for deals and money saving tips all the time. I've saved many thousands of dollars added up over many vacations by taking the time to search for ways to save.

Pennies add up to dollars. Dollars add up to more vacations. Maybe you have unlimited travel funds, but many of us do not. Don't knock somebody for trying to find the best way to portion their vacation budget. Get a life.

I'm surprised that person isn't on the gift card forum saying the same thing. Personally I like saving $500 on my cruises + the money I save by carrying on soda.

I'm surprised that person isn't on the gift card forum saying the same thing. Personally I like saving $500 on my cruises + the money I save by carrying on soda.

Exactly! Every opportunity to save a few bucks adds up to another vacation. I am grateful for all the tips I've learned here. And if any money saving tip that worked for me is helpful to anyone else, then I am glad for that! Happy sailing to you! ;p

Edited by luckybecky

Yup. I've seen places in Maryland shut down completely based solely on bacteria in the soda gun.
lalala, I can't hear you!!! [emoji12]

If I think about every single thing like that I'll never leave my house. But yeah, I can only imagine how those lines can get icked up.

Personally we just pay the money so we don't have to worry about it. I am going to order some cans of fizzy water, and some regular bottled waters for our room, but we do the Bubbles program since my husband drinks mostly soda. I do not ever get my monies worth out of it, but it's not a big deal to us because it's just easier to not have to worry about running back to the room all the time.

Personally we just pay the money so we don't have to worry about it. I am going to order some cans of fizzy water, and some regular bottled waters for our room, but we do the Bubbles program since my husband drinks mostly soda. I do not ever get my monies worth out of it, but it's not a big deal to us because it's just easier to not have to worry about running back to the room all the time.

I think you're the only other person besides myself that I've seen call club soda/seltzer "fizzy water" :D

I gave up sugary sodas and I don't like diet soda, so I drink lemon-lime seltzer at home and always refer to it as my "fizzy water" in my best little kid voice :')

We fly to almost every single cruise and always arrive the day before. We take our own soda. We either find a store within walking distance or just take a quick Uber to a grocery store. (I take snacks too, diabetic DH - and I don't bring them from home)

We always roll our soda on in a rolling suitcase. Without the weight limitations of flying, I can just rearrange a few things into other bags and have room in a carry on suitcase for two 12 packs. One or two of the ports have actually opened and looked at it, but at Port Canaveral last fall, they didn't even blink an eye after it came through the scanner.

I think you're the only other person besides myself that I've seen call club soda/seltzer "fizzy water" :D

I gave up sugary sodas and I don't like diet soda, so I drink lemon-lime seltzer at home and always refer to it as my "fizzy water" in my best little kid voice :')

My kids used to drink "fizzy lemonade" when we'd go out (from a fountain:eek:- yep just ignoring the germs;)). They couldn't decide if they wanted lemonade or Sprite so I suggested half and half.

If I have a sore throat I will often want something "fizzy" - so there's at least three of us:D

Back on topic though - I didn't really think about the trips back to the room. For me it wouldn't be an issue, if I'd be at the pool for a while I'd take a bag with me and carry or would have in a tumbler with ice. The same with dinner, I would just carry a can with - but I'm not a big pop drinker on board. I more often hear people complain on the alcohol end about wanting something in the room without having to run to the bar anytime they want a drink.

Probably the most efficient option for most would be carry some on and purchase some a la carte when out. If you value cost over convenience then bring your own, and if you value convenience over cost then a combination of Bubbles and a Fun Shop purchase for the room. All the options have pro's and con's, so decide what works best for your family:)