Currency in Russia

Jeaannie55

Rubles and credit cards - just as the US only accepts dollars and credit cards.

Not true.

C.C €. & $.

The SPB tour guide we had in 2015 stated that she and the driver were very happy to take either € / $ as Tips.

The Church of the Spilled Blood only took Roubles though, so I didn’t buy anything there.

The port shops all took C.C, € & $.

I didn’t take any roubles and managed fine as our tours included lunch and I paid for the tour by C.C as it was stated that they would only take new notes.

Edited by upwarduk

We had a private tour with TJ Travel ...paid tour (2nd day) with US$ and was given a discount for doing so. Any where we needed Rubles our guide paid (Church of Spilled Blood and lunch at Stolle & a Bakery) and then I easily gave her US$ at the end of our 2 day tour including tip. All the street vendor's by the Hermitage took small US$ easily. Even a large supermarket we added to our private tour where we bought Vodka & Candy took US$. In some of the large upscale gift shops we used our Capital One credit card.

We also used one of the private tour companies in St. Petersburg a few years ago ... we did not use any credit cards while there and paid for everything with cash - US $$. Tips, a few meals or snacks and souvenirs at various sites ... no problems ...

Other than some private tours where they do their customers a favor, it is rare for Russian shops or restaurants to accept anything but Rubles or credit cards. The only cash currency legally tendered in Russia is the Ruble. It is actually illegal in Russia to use dollars, euro's or any other currency. But credit cards are ok where you pay in Rubles and your bank converts to your currency at the best exchange rate offered that day.

Our SPB tour guide gave us coins to give to the restroom attendants.

We did not need to exchange any money as we also used a Capital One credit card to pay for almost everything else.

It is readily accepted all over, pays cash back, there are no currency conversion fees, and no need to carry around a large stash of bills or get stuck with change in various foreign currencies (unless you just want them as souvenirs).

Unlike carrying around cash when traveling, it provides peace of mind, just knowing that you will not lose anything if it should be lost or stolen.

We found it to be especially handy for Baltic cruises where there are so many different currencies involved.

We only carry a few small bills for small purchases as street vendors seem happy to accept US dollars just about anywhere.

Edited by varoo

Our SPB tour guide gave us coins to give to the restroom attendants.

We did not need to exchange any money as we also used a Capital One credit card to pay for almost everything else.

It is readily accepted all over, pays cash back, there are no currency conversion fees, and no need to carry around a large stash of bills or get stuck with change in various foreign currencies (unless you just want them as souvenirs).

Unlike carrying around cash when traveling, it provides peace of mind, just knowing that you will not lose anything if it should be lost or stolen.

We found it to be especially handy for Baltic cruises where there are so many different currencies involved.

We only carry a few small bills for small purchases as street vendors seem happy to accept US dollars just about anywhere.

I do the same and another benefit is the insurance Cap One (or most other credit cards) offer in case the item you purchased is broken when it arrives or not what you ordered. I've been to Russia more than once and while it's true some merchants will take $, it is supposedly illegal. I use my Cap One for most things and take only coins I need for bathroom tips. Otherwise we avoid carrying cash, especially in Moscow and St. Petersburg where pickpocketing seems to be a career choice and they are VERY good at it. Be especially careful at the Church on Spilled Blood in the

men's room. A member of our group had his wallet lifted and never felt a thing or knew it was gone until he was outside and guide mentioned pick-pockets, he felt his back pocket, which was buttoned, and wallet was gone.

Not true.

C.C €. & $.

The SPB tour guide we had in 2015 stated that she and the driver were very happy to take either € / $ as Tips.

The Church of the Spilled Blood only took Roubles though, so I didn’t buy anything there.

The port shops all took C.C, € & $.

I didn’t take any roubles and managed fine as our tours included lunch and I paid for the tour by C.C as it was stated that they would only take new notes.

I believe the OP was asking about shops and restaurants generally - not port shops or tour guides or street vendors.

Thank you all for your help, it has been very helpful for all aspects of the .trip, interesting to hear of all your previous experiences, I don't think I will bother getting roubles, have booked private tours with Alla who have been brilliant so far with communication so I am sure they will also be helpful.

Thank you all for your help, it has been very helpful for all aspects of the .trip, interesting to hear of all your previous experiences, I don't think I will bother getting roubles, have booked private tours with Alla who have been brilliant so far with communication so I am sure they will also be helpful.

Alla has a very good reputation.

Totally concur with your experience with Alla Tours and the communication with Polina, first class. Are you on the May/June cruise?

We used Alla Tours last year in the Baltic and they were great in every port. Only had to pay after our second day in Russia with credit card and they gave us the current exchange rate. Rubles-59=USD-$1.

Before leaving, we used our bank to buy $100 worth of rubles which equaled 5500. The bank said that they would take back any we had left. Rubles came in handy for souvenirs and our one dinner off the ship. I had 1400 rubles left and used them toward a Russian headdress and dress for the granddaughter.

I had some trepidation about going to Russia but I have to say it was my favorite stop on our Baltic cruise. You have to be able to walk as it is an intense 2 days.

Sue

Thank you Sue, it's good to hear St Petersburg was your favourite and there were no problems, this stop was the main reason for booking this cruise. I was booked to go on it 8 years ago, but had to cancel so I have waited a long time for this. I am very excited and don't want any mishaps!

Jean.

Thank you Sue, it's good to hear St Petersburg was your favourite and there were no problems, this stop was the main reason for booking this cruise. I was booked to go on it 8 years ago, but had to cancel so I have waited a long time for this. I am very excited and don't want any mishaps!

Jean.

I'll second Sue....St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful cities and I've been there several times and never get tired of it...just be aware of pickpockets especially in the Churches (Spilled Blood and St. Isaacs)

Bandr, I am sailing next week , the 7th May

Jean

Hi Jean,

We are also sailing next week on the same ship, hope to see you at either the sail away or the connections party.

Cheers

John and Angie { Callyscally}