What broadway play?

George C

17 minutes ago, George C said:

Just read there filming Hamilton with original cast in Richard Rodgers theater to show in movie theaters this October.

Looks like it's actually October 2021, and it was apparently filmed in 2016. 

If they can do for it what Thom Zimney did for Springsteen on Broadway (totally different production, obviously), it should be spectacular! I'm curious how the director balanced close shots and wide shots for a production that's in constant movement...

1 hour ago, George C said:

Just read there filming Hamilton with original cast in Richard Rodgers theater to show in movie theaters this October.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Looks like it's actually October 2021, and it was apparently filmed in 2016. 

If they can do for it what Thom Zimney did for Springsteen on Broadway (totally different production, obviously), it should be spectacular! I'm curious how the director balanced close shots and wide shots for a production that's in constant movement...

@markeb you are correct, they are not filming something new with the OBC.  It's been known for quite some time that they filmed Hamilton with the OBC several years ago, before any of the original cast left the show.  The only real question has been when they would release it, and now we know:  October 15, 2021.  It's a long time to Wait for It. 

According to press reports several days ago, Director Thomas Kail filmed the show.  

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

@markeb you are correct, they are not filming something new with the OBC.  It's been known for quite some time that they filmed Hamilton with the OBC several years ago, before any of the original cast left the show.  The only real question has been when they would release it, and now we know:  October 15, 2021.  It's a long time to Wait for It. 

According to press reports several days ago, Director Thomas Kail filmed the show.  

That will be interesting. He's mostly a Broadway director, so the camera crew and cinematographer become VERY important.

I saw Springsteen on Broadway on Broadway, and have watched the Netflix production. They are different, but very complementary. Something totally different than the live productions of Sound of Music, etc., that have been on television recently. Capturing Hamilton on film and respecting the theatrical production has to be a challenge. Even in the opening number, when Hamilton answers to "what's  your name?" and your eye goes to him, there is a lot happening elsewhere on stage, so you gain and lose on a tight shot (no, not now nor have never been "in the business", just enjoy when it works well) as you want to see Hamilton's face at that point.

And, yes, I"ll go see it. And probably immediately try to get tickets to a live performance... 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

That will be interesting. He's mostly a Broadway director, so the camera crew and cinematographer become VERY important.

I saw Springsteen on Broadway on Broadway, and have watched the Netflix production. They are different, but very complementary. Something totally different than the live productions of Sound of Music, etc., that have been on television recently. Capturing Hamilton on film and respecting the theatrical production has to be a challenge. Even in the opening number, when Hamilton answers to "what's  your name?" and your eye goes to him, there is a lot happening elsewhere on stage, so you gain and lose on a tight shot (no, not now nor have never been "in the business", just enjoy when it works well) as you want to see Hamilton's face at that point.

And, yes, I"ll go see it. And probably immediately try to get tickets to a live performance... 

I agree -- film and stage are very different.   As an audience member at a live show, you get to decide what you are looking at.  With a film, that decision is made for you.   I will definitely see the film, though, and hope it really does the show justice (which I expect it will).   But it will be a different experience.

And I will still keep seeing it live.  (Last week in San Francisco was the 5th time. 😊)

I believe many Broadway shows are filmed (probably several performances and edited together). Fathom Events shows these filmed shows in movie theaters for a one or two night event. I saw Bandstand like that last year. Noticed 42nd Street and George Takei's Allegiance had showings but could not make it to those.  They filmed a London (West End?) Production of Kinky Boots that PBS showed during their fall pledge drive.  I would have been surprised if Hamilton was not filmed. I think the only surprise would be the release date. I guess we'll just have to

Wait For It!

Of course, in the unlikely event demand for tickets to the actual show had waned, this will spark another wave. I'm sure it will still be playing 20+ years from now. Like Phantom. Or Lion King.

I bet Disney execs are celebrating this week. 

Here's some additional information on the making of Hamilton: The Movie:

Director Tommy Kail directed both the stage version and the movie, which consisted of shooting three live performances, and also some setup shots without an audience. All of the footage was used to create multiple angles, to ensure the cinematic nature of the event, without a bad seat in the house.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/disney-paid-75-million-hamilton-movie-deal-lin-manuel-miranda-largest-film-acquisition-ever-1202849929/amp/?fbclid=IwAR38CvLteExO1blR_gvdwxBWzrHtON-9taeccPjqZ14lUNIS9umL6-wnwR0

11 hours ago, sparkle said:

I believe many Broadway shows are filmed (probably several performances and edited together). Fathom Events shows these filmed shows in movie theaters for a one or two night event. I saw Bandstand like that last year. Noticed 42nd Street and George Takei's Allegiance had showings but could not make it to those.  They filmed a London (West End?) Production of Kinky Boots that PBS showed during their fall pledge drive.  I would have been surprised if Hamilton was not filmed. I think the only surprise would be the release date. I guess we'll just have to

Wait For It!

Nearly every show is filmed for the Lincoln Center Archives, available to scholars.  It is always fun when PBS has  Great Performances showing of a recent Broadway show.  I wasn't impressed with Kinky Boots in that format, though, a couple months ago

Hi friends....Lenny, George....whoever else wants to help!...…..here is the deal......normally I would

take a cruise for my birthday (next month) but nothing is there that is saying "sail me"...….and after

my stop in NYC last year where I was able to see 2 shows in 2 weeks----I think I may want to come up

for 4 nights and see at least 4 shows:classic_biggrin:.....question is, do any of you know the hotel "The Casablanca"?

It was recommended to me and after looking on line, it looks really nice and walkable to many theaters:classic_smile:

Just thought some of you might have some input too:classic_biggrin:

41 minutes ago, George C said:

Casablanca has really great reviews In TripAdvisor, and has good reviews for years , I considered this hotel until I found michealanglo which I am sure cost more. Good location. 

Hi George, thanks:classic_biggrin:.....do you know which airport is better to fly into for this Broadway location?

3 to choose from LOL...…….

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

pick the airport that best fits your schedule and budget.  The difference in price/time from any of the three to midtown isn't that significant.

EWR might be a bit more expensive for a cab than the other two

Thanks! I thought that might be the case.

20 minutes ago, George C said:

LGA is the closest airport but lots of issues with construction over last few years , but we still always fly there

Hi George.....researched flights to LGA.....my choices are limited and the main one is Spirit:classic_blink:.....everything I have

read about them? I will take a pass. 

I can fly direct from here to JFK on Jet Blue.....price is reasonable too. 2 hour flight....

Hello! I have read most of this thread and appreciate all the input from all of you Broadway fans! I've only ever seen one show on Broadway and I don't even remember the name. We had the chance to do Hamilton in London in September but we were so exhausted by our 2 week bus tour that we passed on it. We will be in NYC for this September (9/12 to be exact). There are tickets available for Hamilton for that date but I am not willing to pay for them. ha!

I am interested in Come From Away which I see was highly regarded in this thread. There are no tickets yet for the 9/12 date. Do you think the show will continue?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, crucero said:

I am interested in Come From Away which I see was highly regarded in this thread. There are no tickets yet for the 9/12 date. Do you think the show will continue?

Given that the show is currently playing in NY, London, Sydney, Shanghai, Melbourne, and on a national tour, I think the odds are pretty good...

It's kind of become the "little play that could". And it's an amazing show.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, crucero said:

Hello! I have read most of this thread and appreciate all the input from all of you Broadway fans! I've only ever seen one show on Broadway and I don't even remember the name. We had the chance to do Hamilton in London in September but we were so exhausted by our 2 week bus tour that we passed on it.

That's too bad.  The London production is excellent, and tickets there are far cheaper than they are in NY.

3 hours ago, crucero said:

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Given that the show is currently playing in NY, London, Sydney, Shanghai, Melbourne, and on a national tour, I think the odds are pretty good...

It's kind of become the "little play that could". And it's an amazing show.

I agree -- I'd be shocked if "Come From Away" were not there in September and well beyond.  It's playing to packed houses in NY, and it's absolutely extraordinary.  We've seen it twice, and I could easily see it again.   

29 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

That's too bad.  The London production is excellent, and tickets there are far cheaper than they are in NY.

I agree -- I'd be shocked if "Come From Away" were not there in September and well beyond.  It's playing to packed houses in NY, and it's absolutely extraordinary.  We've seen it twice, and I could easily see it again.   

It has been listed at tkts , actually got tkts tickets two years ago , could not get 2 tickets together but we were only a few feet apart, it’s listed today on tkts for 92 dollars, we are hoping to see it again in May. 

6 minutes ago, George C said:

It has been listed at tkts , actually got tkts tickets two years ago , could not get 2 tickets together but we were only a few feet apart, it’s listed today on tkts for 92 dollars, we are hoping to see it again in May. 

Yes, I've seen it on TKTS, though not consistently (like Phantom, for example).