What broadway play?

George C

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The official trailer for the Come From Away film capture.   Apple TV+, September 10, as has been noted above.  Can’t wait.  (It’s not a great trailer. But since I’ve seen the show, it evokes it for me.)

Drying tears from a trailer…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We watched  Come From Away on Apple TV+ last night. Seemed appropriate. We ultimately didn't go to DC for the concert. The filmed version is incredibly well done. It's filmed largely like Hamilton, mostly as live theater with some obvious closeups, and a couple of interesting overhead shots. But just as powerful as ever. 

Bought a new iPad Pro a couple of months ago, and got a complementary 1 year Apple TV+ subscription, so that worked out well!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markeb said:

Bought a new iPad Pro a couple of months ago, and got a complementary 1 year Apple TV+ subscription, so that worked out well!

I hope you are also watching Ted Lasso! 😊  (And if you haven’t seen the movie “Coda,” I also recommend that.)

Come From Away is the icing on the cake for Apple TV+

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting a zombie thread, but why start a new one?

We're going to be in NYC in January. Quick in and out couple of days, but thinking about catching a show on a Sunday afternoon or evening (Martin Luther King weekend and it looks like not everything's dark Sunday evening).

We're a little indifferent, so we can just show up and see what's on TKTS. Don't usually do that, but it might work this time. Hamilton's out. Come From Away (again) is possible, but what else? Who's seen Hadestown or Jagged Little Pill? I have mixed feelings about Jagged Little Pill. I seem to recall early reviews not being favorable, but it won a couple of Tony's. Hadestown did much better, but I'd need to look into it a lot more to convince SWMBO that she'd like it (and me, too!). Ultimately, we may do something else and skip a show completely.

We've seen most of the usual suspects, and probably wouldn't do them again this trip.

Thoughts?

4 hours ago, markeb said:

Thoughts?

What about SIX?  We saw it last month on the NCL Breakaway (same production, Bdway quality) and it was so wonderfully creative and entertaining that we went back the next night to see it again. And we would have seen it again if there had been another performance, it was that good. 

If you do go, just brush up a little bit on the history, especially re the last four wives. You’ll appreciate it even more. 

There’s also Assassins. I haven’t seen this new production but I have seen the show and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  Obviously, it’s a little bizarre. 

P.S.  isn’t it wonderful that we can be having these conversations again? 

Edited by Turtles06

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

What about SIX?  We saw it last month on the NCL Breakaway (same production, Bdway quality) and it was so wonderfully creative and entertaining that we went back the next night to see it again. And we would have seen it again if there had been another performance, it was that good. 

If you do go, just brush up a little bit on the history, especially re the last four wives. You’ll appreciate it even more. 

There’s also Assassins. I haven’t seen this new production but I have seen the show and enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  Obviously, it’s a little bizarre. 

P.S.  isn’t it wonderful that we can be having these conversations again? 

SIX looks like resale only when we’re in town. And crazy, of course. It was one of my first thoughts. 

13 minutes ago, markeb said:

SIX looks like resale only when we’re in town. And crazy, of course. It was one of my first thoughts. 

That’s too bad.

When we were on the Breakaway, out of curiosity I checked the Broadway ticket prices. $499 plus fees for premium orchestra (not resale), which is most of the orchestra!!  Well, my wife and I had premium seats in the Breakaway’s lovely theatre, great sight lines and much more comfortable than any Bdway theatre I’ve been in. And since we saw SIX twice, that’s four tickets, about $2000, which made the cruise almost free.  😁

11 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That’s too bad.

When we were on the Breakaway, out of curiosity I checked the Broadway ticket prices. $499 plus fees for premium orchestra (not resale), which is most of the orchestra!!  Well, my wife and I had premium seats in the Breakaway’s lovely theatre, great sight lines and much more comfortable than any Bdway theatre I’ve been in. And since we saw SIX twice, that’s four tickets, about $2000, which made the cruise almost free.  😁

Not the same but similiar.My 17 year old granddaughter went to a concert this past Sunday night at the new arena in Elmont,NY and paid $370.00 to see a singer that I never heard of,Harry Styles.Somebody on a CC thread said that her granddaughter paid $500.00 for the same concert.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Not the same but similiar.My 17 year old granddaughter went to a concert this past Sunday night at the new arena in Elmont,NY and paid $370.00 to see a singer that I never heard of,Harry Styles.Somebody on a CC thread said that her granddaughter paid $500.00 for the same concert.

Sorry, Len. You're old! 😃 Harry Styles is kind of a big deal to that age group...

(Luckily I only paid $150 today for one of the newest inductees into the R&R Hall of Fame. Foos in May in Maryland.)

15 hours ago, markeb said:

Sorry, Len. You're old! 😃 Harry Styles is kind of a big deal to that age group...

(Luckily I only paid $150 today for one of the newest inductees into the R&R Hall of Fame. Foos in May in Maryland.)

Yes,I am old but my granddaughter and I both listen to Black Eyed Peas.

• Haha 1

Moulin Rouge and Dear Evan Hanson are my recommendations, but might be tougher tickets.

Ain't Too Proud (story about the Temptations) is very good and would be an easier ticket, but may not be as appealing for the 17 year old

If you haven't seen these "usual suspects" these might work:

Chicago, Wicked and the Lion King

We almost also use tkts have gotten some great seats , I prefer location in Columbus circle since you can get next day plays also. Did see a nice version of Mama Mia on Allure of the seas a couple of days ago . Hopefully we will do our normal trip to nyc memorial day weekend. 

6 hours ago, George C said:

We almost also use tkts have gotten some great seats , I prefer location in Columbus circle since you can get next day plays also. Did see a nice version of Mama Mia on Allure of the seas a couple of days ago . Hopefully we will do our normal trip to nyc memorial day weekend. 

George C,

We too hope all by this summer can attend Broadway Plays once again.

At this time because of the Health Emergency, several of the show are being suspended or closed till at after the New York with refunds being given. Did not hear of exchange of tickets being done at this time. Our numbers are going up in NYC and may give people concern of attending causing lack of ticket sales.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, George C said:

I am looking at tkts live now and it shows lots of plays I would love to see on sale today. I am hoping for less restrictions on our visit , here some theaters have no restrictions some require masks.

GOOD HUNTING!

19 hours ago, George C said:

I am looking at tkts live now and it shows lots of plays I would love to see on sale today. I am hoping for less restrictions on our visit , here some theaters have no restrictions some require masks.

Masks in theaters in NYC aren't going away for at least another 3 months and likely longer.  If you can handle it for the flight from Dallas you can handle it for the length of the show

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

Masks in theaters in NYC aren't going away for at least another 3 months and likely longer.  If you can handle it for the flight from Dallas you can handle it for the length of the show

The great thing about flying first class is they give you drinks , while drinking I don’t need to wear a mask , so I will nurse a few Bloody Mary’s . We did see a Chris Botti concert recently and had to wear a mask, it wasn’t that bad . Tomorrow we will see a Lee Ann Rimes Christmas concert which most likely will require a mask. In Dallas it depends on the venue some require masks many don’t.

Edited by George C

On 12/5/2021 at 3:44 PM, z4ltw said:

Moulin Rouge and Dear Evan Hanson are my recommendations, but might be tougher tickets.

Ain't Too Proud (story about the Temptations) is very good and would be an easier ticket, but may not be as appealing for the 17 year old

If you haven't seen these "usual suspects" these might work:

Chicago, Wicked and the Lion King

Ain’t too proud appeals to people of all ages,IMHO

On 12/7/2021 at 4:32 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

George C,

We too hope all by this summer can attend Broadway Plays once again.

At this time because of the Health Emergency, several of the show are being suspended or closed till at after the New York with refunds being given. Did not hear of exchange of tickets being done at this time. Our numbers are going up in NYC and may give people concern of attending causing lack of ticket sales.

I go back to the days when one was able to see a great Broadway show on location outdoors in Brooklyn.The first that I saw was Othello with a young actor named James Earl Jones.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 7:34 AM, Nitemare said:

I believe it may be the Fall of 2022 before masks will no longer be mandatory in NYC theaters.