What broadway play?

George C

On 12/28/2021 at 10:09 AM, George C said:

Would love to see “to kill a mockingbird “ we have had good luck with tkts, we have a tkts gift card. Any interesting restaurants? Did they sell drinks at the theaters. Thanks for info.

My grandkids saw the play on Sunday.It was Jeff Daniels last performance.He spoke to the audience to thank them for coming to the show.He was replaced by Greg Kinnear.

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Just announced on the NYC News that the Mask Mandate will be extended till April 30th 2022 for attending Broadway Shows.

For the protection of the players, actors and patrons.

Thanks for info , unfortunately I would bet that they will extend this , I am ready for my New York City vacation as soon as masks mandates disappear, don’t mind the proof of vaccinations. 

On 1/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, lenquixote66 said:

My grandkids saw the play on Sunday.It was Jeff Daniels last performance.He spoke to the audience to thank them for coming to the show.He was replaced by Greg Kinnear.

Mockingbird shut down for a few months

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mrs f. said:

Mockingbird shut down for a few months

17 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,I know.

Not yet it hasn't.  It shuts down this weekend.  Kinnear has missed a few performances due to Covid and his understudy has been on.

We'll be braving the cold in NYC this weekend.  I will be at TKTS when they open on Saturday to see what might be available.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Not yet it hasn't.  It shuts down this weekend.  Kinnear has missed a few performances due to Covid and his understudy has been on.

We'll be braving the cold in NYC this weekend.  I will be at TKTS when they open on Saturday to see what might be available.

Was just looking at tkts live , Mockingbird and many other plays still showing , I am a huge Dylan fan would love to see his Girl from the north country. Would also like to see Tina and could always see Come from away again. Good luck Nitemare  and let us know how you did . Should be a cold weekend but at least it’s not Buffalo,I understand there are plenty of tickets for the single digit football game tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I believe that there are 27 shows available but that likely includes off Broadway.I hope that you are able to get tickets and that you enjoy whatever you see.

10 hours ago, George C said:

Was just looking at tkts live , Mockingbird and many other plays still showing , I am a huge Dylan fan would love to see his Girl from the north country. Would also like to see Tina and could always see Come from away again. Good luck Nitemare  and let us know how you did . Should be a cold weekend but at least it’s not Buffalo,I understand there are plenty of tickets for the single digit football game tomorrow.

George C,

It's been announced that Mocking will close on Sunday.

It will reopen at another theater on Broadway in the Month of June.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

George C,

It's been announced that Mocking will close on Sunday.

It will reopen at another theater on Broadway in the Month of June.

Luckily Nitemare can see it if he wish’s this weekend, unfortunately I will be in Buffalo sometime this year for the third time in recent years for a memorial for one of my wife’s relatives that passed over the winter , hopefully will add a few days to this trip to visit my hometown of New York City.

• Like 1

IMG_0666-L.jpg

Back on the rock last night. Paid too much, of course, but it was great seeing the actor’s faces!

Great cast overall. And loved Jenn Colella when we first saw Come From Away, but Rachel Tucker is amazing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/17/2022 at 12:47 PM, markeb said:

IMG_0666-L.jpg

Back on the rock last night. Paid too much, of course, but it was great seeing the actor’s faces!

Great cast overall. And loved Jenn Colella when we first saw Come From Away, but Rachel Tucker is amazing!

We were here Sunday evening, too.  Bought at TKTS Sunday AM.  12th row Orchestra, towards the right side for $95/each.  We saw it when it opened and yes, we cried and cried again.

Saturday AM we got in line at 11:10AM and were at the windows by 12:20PM.  SO COLD OUT!  But we got the 4 shows we wanted:  Ain't Too Proud for 2PM, American Utopia for 5PM and Clyde's for 7PM.  Also picked up Girl From the North Country for Sunday at 3PM (they sell next day's matinees at the booth).  No time for meals, but lots of time for shows.  5 total shows, 10 tickets, a bit over $800.   After missing out on theater for 18 months we are still ahead of the game.  Had we been better prepared we would have gone to the box office and seen Six at 1PM on Sunday, too.

All shows were excellent other than North Country, where the story and the songs felt thrown together.  Would have loved the story on it's own, or the songs. But not both together

We had seen Mockingbird, Company, and Caroline or Change over Christmas weekend.

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

No time for meals, but lots of time for shows.  5 total shows, 10 tickets, a bit over $800.   After missing out on theater for 18 months we are still ahead of the game.  Had we been better prepared we would have gone to the box office and seen Six at 1PM on Sunday, too.

What a great weekend!  I'm sorry you didn't get to see SIX -- it's fabulous.  Next time . . . 🙂 

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We were here Sunday evening, too.  Bought at TKTS Sunday AM.  12th row Orchestra, towards the right side for $95/each.  We saw it when it opened and yes, we cried and cried again.

That's a crazy schedule! We ended up getting tickets Saturday afternoon for the Sunday night show, so paid a bit more than TKTS(!). But we were fifth row, and we were only doing one show. And CFA has me reshuffling my list of all time favorite musicals. It's probably right behind Les Mis and slipping ahead of Hamilton. Sad and uplifting at the same time.

We did have dinner Saturday, slipped in a couple of hours at the Met (out of town members) and an early Indian dinner before the theater. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

And CFA has me reshuffling my list of all time favorite musicals. It's probably right behind Les Mis and slipping ahead of Hamilton. Sad and uplifting at the same time.

Definitely three of the greatest. Do you have Sweeney Todd on your list? 

3 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Never saw Sweeney Todd. Don’t know why. We usually do shows that interest both of us, and I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t interest her. 

Mind you, it took a little explaining to get her to Come From Away the first time. Now she’s totally hooked…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markeb said:

Never saw Sweeney Todd. Don’t know why. We usually do shows that interest both of us, and I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t interest her. 

I had the good fortune of seeing the OBC in Sweeney twice, first in preview, when a friend who had just seen it said I "HAD" to see it, and would not tell me more.  So all I knew going in was that it was a new Sondheim musical.  It absolutely stunned and blew me away, in the same manner that the uniqueness, brilliance, and creativity of Hamilton, Come From Away, and Les Miz did the first time I saw each of them (and, like repeat visits to Sweeney, have each time since).  I hope your wife will give it a go, and I do hope you get to see a good production of it some time.   (And the music is beautiful.)  

8 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Saturday AM we got in line at 11:10AM and were at the windows by 12:20PM.  SO COLD OUT!  But we got the 4 shows we wanted:  Ain't Too Proud for 2PM, American Utopia for 5PM and Clyde's for 7PM.  Also picked up Girl From the North Country for Sunday at 3PM (they sell next day's matinees at the booth).  No time for meals, but lots of time for shows.  5 total shows, 10 tickets, a bit over $800.   After missing out on theater for 18 months we are still ahead of the game.  Had we been better prepared we would have gone to the box office and seen Six at 1PM on Sunday, too.

All shows were excellent other than North Country, where the story and the songs felt thrown together.  Would have loved the story on it's own, or the songs. But not both together

We had seen Mockingbird, Company, and Caroline or Change over Christmas weekend.

When my wife and I first started going to Broadway shows in 1965 we often went to a Friday night,Saturday matinee and a Saturday night,all Orchestra seats that cost between $2.50 and $5.00 a ticket .Nearly every show had great casts.

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Mind you, it took a little explaining to get her to Come From Away the first time. Now she’s totally hooked…

My wife and I never had a desire to see a production of Sweeney Todd.We got tickets as a gift ,saw the show and loved it.

Years later friends asked us to join them to see a production of Emperor Jones.I had to be nearly dragged to go and that was great.We saw it at the Irish Rep in Manhattan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Very  cool, thanks for the update. Busy weekend 😁😁

22 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

What a great weekend!  I'm sorry you didn't get to see SIX -- it's fabulous.  Next time . . . 🙂 

We saw it here in Cambridge before it went to B'way.  We enjoyed it, but it is so SHORT, that's why we knew it would fit in our schedule

20 hours ago, markeb said:

That's a crazy schedule! We ended up getting tickets Saturday afternoon for the Sunday night show, so paid a bit more than TKTS(!). But we were fifth row, and we were only doing one show. And CFA has me reshuffling my list of all time favorite musicals. It's probably right behind Les Mis and slipping ahead of Hamilton. Sad and uplifting at the same time.

We did have dinner Saturday, slipped in a couple of hours at the Met (out of town members) and an early Indian dinner before the theater. 

First time we saw CFA was in the evening the same day after seeing Hamilton in a matinee for our 3rd time.  Saw both from the Boxes up high over the stage.  We love both, but Hamilton is just a shade higher.  Les Mis isn't in our Top 20, I am afraid

19 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Which version?  The Cerveris/Lupone one 16 years ago was excellent, but the immersive one at Barrow Street in 2017 was incredible, one of the best Off Broadway shows we've ever seen

Edited by Nitemare
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Which [Sweeney] version?  The Cerveris/Lupone one 16 years ago was excellent, but the immersive one at Barrow Street in 2017 was incredible, one of the best Off Broadway shows we've ever seen

The "original" version.  I did not get to see the two you mention.  I would have especially liked to have seen Barrow Street.

19 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Les Mis isn't in our Top 20, I am afraid

So now I have to ask you, which version?  🙂    Have you seen a true original production, barricade turning and all that?   Because they've certainly messed with the show over the years.  (Although I will say that I love it even in the costumed concert versions done in the UK to mark major anniversaries of the show.)  

• Like 2

I watched this new episode of PBS Great Performances today and found the interviews with the actors very interesting — recounting their despair and fears when Broadway shut down in March 2020, and the joy and hope when things re-opened last September.  Lots of clips too. 

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/great-performances-reopening-the-broadway-revival-about/13302/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImNOr8YfJ9QIV1QWICR2wmwAsEAAYASAAEgIT_PD_BwE

On 1/20/2022 at 7:39 AM, Turtles06 said:

So now I have to ask you, which version?  🙂    Have you seen a true original production, barricade turning and all that?   Because they've certainly messed with the show over the years.  (Although I will say that I love it even in the costumed concert versions done in the UK to mark major anniversaries of the show.)  

We first saw Les Mis at the Palace Theater in London in 1995. With the original barricade. Totally blown away. I "think" we've seen it twice since then. Once at the Kennedy Center, and again on Broadway.  I don't think we saw Colm Wilkinson in 1995; it gets complicated tracing Valjeans. We did see John Owen Jones on Broadway. The last two were the reworked versions with the various projections, and I don't think either had the rotating barricade.