What broadway play?

George C

3 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I watched this new episode of PBS Great Performances today and found the interviews with the actors very interesting — recounting their despair and fears when Broadway shut down in March 2020, and the joy and hope when things re-opened last September.  Lots of clips too. 

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/great-performances-reopening-the-broadway-revival-about/13302/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImNOr8YfJ9QIV1QWICR2wmwAsEAAYASAAEgIT_PD_BwE

Just watched it. Pretty amazing. I'd have to crosswalk which productions have since shut down (Waitress, Ain't too Proud, Jagged Little Pill definitely. Not sure about others.) The actors faces at the end of "Welcome to the Rock" last weekend were priceless...

On 1/20/2022 at 7:39 AM, Turtles06 said:

The "original" version.  I did not get to see the two you mention.  I would have especially liked to have seen Barrow Street.

So now I have to ask you, which version?  🙂    Have you seen a true original production, barricade turning and all that?   Because they've certainly messed with the show over the years.  (Although I will say that I love it even in the costumed concert versions done in the UK to mark major anniversaries of the show.)  

Our Les Mis was in NYC in the mid 1990s, which is pretty much when I started going to theater. She's always been a big fan. 

I've seen shows in 39 of the 42 Broadway theaters.  Haven't seen one at the Hudson (new), or the Majestic (we saw Phantom in Boston) or the Winter Garden, but we have tix for Music Man in May, so I will finally cross that one off the list

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Our Les Mis was in NYC in the mid 1990s, which is pretty much when I started going to theater. She's always been a big fan. 

I've seen shows in 39 of the 42 Broadway theaters.  Haven't seen one at the Hudson (new), or the Majestic (we saw Phantom in Boston) or the Winter Garden, but we have tix for Music Man in May, so I will finally cross that one off the list

I would have to check the playbills to see how many plays /theaters we have seen I know it’s about a hundred I have seen with my wife and also a few I saw as a single , I was hooked after seeing my first play in 1969 just before I got drafted, it was ‘Play in again Sam “ with Woody Allen , Diane Keaton and Tony Roberts .

Edited by George C

6 hours ago, Nitemare said:

I have playbills of every show we have gone to beginning in 1965 from Broadway,other NYC theaters as well as theaters all over North America.

I think that we likely have been to every Broadway theater and most off Broadway theaters,including obscure ones such as The Troupe ,HB ,Greenwich Mews and Theatron.

We recently threw out almost all of our playbills.  Easily 1000.  Tried to sell some old ones on eBay and maybe got $5 for a few.  Not worth the effort.  Tried to donate them to a local Arts High School, not interested.  We still have a few hundred that are signed, although we have sold some of those (Sondheim a few weeks ago was worth a whole lot more to someone else than it was to us!).

You can go to Wikipedia and see each Broadway theater and all (most?) of the productions on each stage to figure out which ones you have visited and which ones you haven't been to.

8 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We recently threw out almost all of our playbills.  Easily 1000.  Tried to sell some old ones on eBay and maybe got $5 for a few.  Not worth the effort.  Tried to donate them to a local Arts High School, not interested.  We still have a few hundred that are signed, although we have sold some of those (Sondheim a few weeks ago was worth a whole lot more to someone else than it was to us!).

You can go to Wikipedia and see each Broadway theater and all (most?) of the productions on each stage to figure out which ones you have visited and which ones you haven't been to.

My playbills are in albums .I have some from obscure shows that very few people heard of such as Leda Had A Little Swan and I’m Solomon.I have a playbill from A Prelude to Hamlet written by one on my cousins .

16 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

My playbills are in albums .I have some from obscure shows that very few people heard of such as Leda Had A Little Swan and I’m Solomon.I have a playbill from A Prelude to Hamlet written by one on my cousins .

We don't/didn't have anything like that.  Our faves are finding a show Off-Off Broadway and having it end up making it to a Broadway theater.   Last one of those was "Hand To God", that we first saw in a 75 seat theater near 11th Avenue, followed it to the Lortel Theater and then saw it on Broadway.

Seen a few duds that way, too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We don't/didn't have anything like that.  Our faves are finding a show Off-Off Broadway and having it end up making it to a Broadway theater.   Last one of those was "Hand To God", that we first saw in a 75 seat theater near 11th Avenue, followed it to the Lortel Theater and then saw it on Broadway.

I remember going to the very small theater to see “The Fantastics “ it played there for about 40 years in the village , love that neighborhood with there clubs, bars and restaurants.

3 hours ago, George C said:

I remember going to the very small theater to see “The Fantastics “ it played there for about 40 years in the village , love that neighborhood with there clubs, bars and restaurants.

Yep, that set all sorts of records.  Saw that in Boston in the 80s.

6 hours ago, Nitemare said:

In the mid 60’s I wrote a play that opened and closed in one night.It was in a Off,Off,Off Broadway theater on E.22 St.The theater had less than 100 seats.

However,I saw a play in the 70’s with Fritz Weaver in a theater that had 75 seats that was very good.

3 hours ago, George C said:

I saw The Fantasiks on 8th.Ave and W.50 St in 2007 and in San Francisco in 1970.

• Like 1

We're going to be in London this fall for a land trip followed by a TA, and I've just booked tickets for SIX.   We saw it twice on the NCL Breakaway and absolutely loved it; it will be fun to see "the Queens" in London.   

Not to mention that the highest priced ticket in London is approximately $92 (including the modest booking fee of approximately $3.40), whereas on Broadway the most expensive ticket (for virtually the entire orchestra) is an obscene $399 (not including the fees), and I've sometimes seen the prices at $499.   I know the West End is cheaper than Broadway, but those prices for SIX in NY are insane. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I know the West End is cheaper than Broadway, but those prices for SIX in NY are insane. 

that is a blanket statement that has been true for at least the 20 years we have been theater-goers.

Costs are much lower there than they are in NYC and there is more subsidized theater that needs to be competed against

• Like 1

Many years ago there was an Acting School in Manhattan where several times a year famous alumni such as Robert DeNiro would return to appear in a production in the theater attached to the school.Admission was free for alumni and people in the Arts.Each attendee was allowed to invite one person as their guest.My wife and I were able to go often as we had a friend who was an Actress and an Alumni as well as a friend who was a Director.We found out that for a minimal donation of $18 a year we could become Benefactors and see every performance of every play for no additional cost.Nearly every production was excellent.

• 4 weeks later...

My brother has a theater in Ft Myer and we saw “the curious incident of the dog in the night” everyone seemed to really enjoy it , he has been directing theater for more than 40 years. His friend who helped on the production contracts with rccl and will be working on Grease which will be on independence of the seas , he said they rehearse this for about 5 weeks in Miami before moving it on the ship.

15 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Broadway as we knew it is expected to return next month.

We saw 5 shows over the holiday weekend in January, and 4 in December.  Other than the sparse crowds, I'd say Broadway was already back

• Like 1