What broadway play?

George C

59 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I should add that I got to the line just after 10:15AM, it opens at 11, and I was about 75th in line or so.  Within 10 minutes the line had doubled, and by the time it opened at 11 there were easily 500 folks in line.  I made it to the front at about 11:20AM.  Glad it was a warm day.

Can't wait until the open the Broadway side of the kiosk again to spread the line out, and to reinstitute the "Play" line.  They do still have the Fast Pass return option where you can skip the line if you have a ticket stub from TKTS from the prior 7 days

I almost always buy tickets at the Lincoln center location, rarely see a large line . Although Times Square location has interesting people watching. 😁.

On 4/27/2022 at 12:11 AM, markeb said:

I think we have officially become Islanders...

Not on Broadway, but we caught the national touring company of Come From Away at the National Theater in DC on Easter Sunday. That makes 4 (so far)...  Good production as well. Not as good of seats as the last time on Broadway, but less than half the price!

Next thing you know, we'll need a cod and some Screech! (Oddly, or not, we are honestly considering a trip to Gander at some point!)

My wife and I were in Newfoundland in 1976.It was a very nice area then.

21 hours ago, George C said:

I almost always buy tickets at the Lincoln center location, rarely see a large line . Although Times Square location has interesting people watching. 😁.

Lincoln Center closed during Covid and has not reopened per the TKTS site.  We liked the location near South Street Seaport but that one is closed permanently

• Like 1

My brother was telling me about a off broadway play with one of his friends since high school, Romeo and Bernadette which is a spoof of Romeo and Juliet taking place in 1960’s with some mafia characters . I believe it’s temporarily suspended. Will try to see it on my next trip.

FYI......

New York City is now at Level "Moderate" risk at the Covid 19 rating. Self precautions should be taken with possible additions in the coming weeks.

NYS has about 37 of the 57 Counties of the State have considerable number of cases.

Be Consideration, Be Aware, Be Alert..... 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, George C said:

My brother was telling me about a off broadway play with one of his friends since high school, Romeo and Bernadette which is a spoof of Romeo and Juliet taking place in 1960’s with some mafia characters . I believe it’s temporarily suspended. Will try to see it on my next trip.

A Brooklyn theater,The Heights Players will be reopening Friday May 6 with The Mystery of Edwin Drood..The theater opened 66 years ago.

The theater is located in Brooklyn Heights and has had great productions over the years.My wife’s sister has a friend who is an actor who has starred in many .

For fans of SIX who may not have seen this good news, a live recording of the OBC on opening night will be released tomorrow (May 6).  We’ve had to content ourselves with the studio album until now.  This will have more tracks.  I sure hope they’ve done a good job with it. 

https://www.broadway.com/buzz/202153/six-to-release-original-broadway-cast-recording-six-live-on-opening-night/?fbclid=IwAR3IJa-zcg2Pou08MnXLC-2YB2auAo4HodzrRhI17FcIKVvCbZD_ZLfE2vc

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 6:17 AM, Turtles06 said:

Theaters seemed pretty full at the 4 shows we saw in April on two different weekends (2 each visit).  Good seats available at TKTS but the places did fill up

• Like 2

Listening to the newly-released recording of the OBC of SIX, and not having seen the show on Broadway, I was surprised to hear the Queens singing in American accents.  I did a Google search, and indeed the show is being performed in the U.S. in American accents. It sounded so “wrong” to my ears. I’m glad we have tickets to see SIX in London later this year. 😊

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Listening to the newly-released recording of the OBC of SIX, and not having seen the show on Broadway, I was surprised to hear the Queens singing in American accents.  I did a Google search, and indeed the show is being performed in the U.S. in American accents. It sounded so “wrong” to my ears. I’m glad we have tickets to see SIX in London later this year. 😊

I don't know. Given that Henry VIII died in 1547, and there are no recordings (probably a few Doctor Who episodes, but...), who knows what accent would be appropriate. It's kind of interesting to listen to the differences between modern UK English, US English that diverges for the most part in the 1600's, Canadian English that starts evolving separately not long after the US, Australian English, etc. I'm guessing the queens wouldn't have sounded at all like the modern English actors playing the roles.

Looking at getting tickets in DC for the touring company. I'd rather see it in the West End, but not sure when I'm heading back to London!

5 hours ago, markeb said:

I don't know. Given that Henry VIII died in 1547, and there are no recordings (probably a few Doctor Who episodes, but...), who knows what accent would be appropriate. It's kind of interesting to listen to the differences between modern UK English, US English that diverges for the most part in the 1600's, Canadian English that starts evolving separately not long after the US, Australian English, etc. I'm guessing the queens wouldn't have sounded at all like the modern English actors playing the roles.

Looking at getting tickets in DC for the touring company. I'd rather see it in the West End, but not sure when I'm heading back to London!

Thanks for those thoughts. I’m aware that how the Queens sounded in the 16th century isn’t necessarily how they would sound now. But I suspect that they wouldn’t have sounded like 21st century Americans, and that’s what I just find jarring to my ears. I guess that’s especially so after seeing SiX twice on the Breakaway with what I believe was a British cast, and then listening repeatedly to the studio cast album, also Brits. So in my head, the Queens sound British.  When people make movies about the same time period and people, the historical figures speak in British accents. 

You should get tickets for DC.  The touring coming is the Aragon Tour, now playing in Chicago, where I think they are getting good reviews. Just know that Ticketmaster is adding on the truly obscene  fee of $21 per ticket!

• 3 weeks later...

Come From Away fans:  Jenn Colella will be back in the show on Broadway from June 21-August 7, again playing Captain Beverley and others.  We saw her in the original cast, she was terrific.

https://www.playbill.com/article/jenn-colella-to-return-to-broadways-come-from-away?fbclid=IwAR29l8GfQKhXrvkKI0Y3qtogSlW2OFi_gvQF0qOsAD4n6kz8Vd_WW0sGbmY

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Come From Away fans:  Jenn Colella will be back in the show on Broadway from June 21-August 7, again playing Captain Beverley and others.  We saw her in the original cast, she was terrific.

https://www.playbill.com/article/jenn-colella-to-return-to-broadways-come-from-away?fbclid=IwAR29l8GfQKhXrvkKI0Y3qtogSlW2OFi_gvQF0qOsAD4n6kz8Vd_WW0sGbmY

Just saw that. Don’t know that we can get there, but who knows. 2X Rachel Tucker and 1X Jenn Colella. We need another comparison!  

(Actually want to see Alice Fearn in the West End, but that’s another story!)

• Like 2

Currently do you need to wear mask when seeing a broadway play? I trying to figure out if we should visit New York City Labor Day weekend, thanks . Was surprised that masks were not even needed by flight attendants on our Buffalo trip Memorial Day weekend.

6 hours ago, George C said:

Currently do you need to wear mask when seeing a broadway play? I trying to figure out if we should visit New York City Labor Day weekend, thanks . Was surprised that masks were not even needed by flight attendants on our Buffalo trip Memorial Day weekend.

Masks are required at least through June 30. No way to know what the rules will be in September.

https://www.broadway.org/info/covid-19-updates/

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 11:49 AM, George C said:

Masks are required and there were ushers checking during the shows we saw over Memorial Day weekend.

Hamilton - first time we'd seen it in 4 years.  Burr and Hamilton were understudies who weren't quite ready for the roles.  Show felt a little "broader" and less subtle than in the past.  Still great, just not quite as great

Take Me Out - we had seen the original and thought it was better.  Jesse Tyler Ferguson goes for laughs too often, we felt his character would be better played as pained as in the original.  Great show, though

Music Man - we usually prefer Art for Art's Sake, not Art for Commerce's Sake, but we love Sutton Foster and had never seen Hugh Jackman, so we bought the cheapest tix in the house 3+ years ago and saw this.  It is entertaining.  Jackman really gets into the role, Sutton was marvelous, and the songs are great.  Had to compare it to Hello Dolly, the last Broadway show that was mostly about THE STAR to much of the audience, but Music Man is a much better story (Dolly is dreadful) and Jackman played the role, where Bette played BETTE

The Bedwetter - we love Sara Silverman and bought the book when it came out.  Very funny and very profane.  Good songs, great acting, this will go to Broadway and will do well there.  See it now so you can brag to your friends that you saw it in a small Off Broadway house well before they even knew it existed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Broadways shape, didn't think it would last....

12 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Masks are required and there were ushers checking during the shows we saw over Memorial Day weekend.

Hamilton - first time we'd seen it in 4 years.  Burr and Hamilton were understudies who weren't quite ready for the roles.  Show felt a little "broader" and less subtle than in the past.  Still great, just not quite as great

Take Me Out - we had seen the original and thought it was better.  Jesse Tyler Ferguson goes for laughs too often, we felt his character would be better played as pained as in the original.  Great show, though

Music Man - we usually prefer Art for Art's Sake, not Art for Commerce's Sake, but we love Sutton Foster and had never seen Hugh Jackman, so we bought the cheapest tix in the house 3+ years ago and saw this.  It is entertaining.  Jackman really gets into the role, Sutton was marvelous, and the songs are great.  Had to compare it to Hello Dolly, the last Broadway show that was mostly about THE STAR to much of the audience, but Music Man is a much better story (Dolly is dreadful) and Jackman played the role, where Bette played BETTE

The Bedwetter - we love Sara Silverman and bought the book when it came out.  Very funny and very profane.  Good songs, great acting, this will go to Broadway and will do well there.  See it now so you can brag to your friends that you saw it in a small Off Broadway house well before they even knew it existed

There have been so many small theaters over the years that offered great productions.Similiar to the Atlantic Theater was HB Studios on Bank Street,Theatron on E.22 St just to name a few.

16 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Definitely would like to see it again before it closes, simple set wonder if it could be on rccl cruise, I am sure it will tour also.  We need a upbeat play in the times we live.