Can we board earlier than the what is on the doc's?

We are a group of 8 (w/2 young boys) sailing on the Radiance in a couple of weeks. Our documents state our boarding time as 2pm. This seems so late!! We'd rather board earlier (as early as we can). Are they strict about these times? I don't want to hope for the best, arrive too early, then end up waiting til 2pm afterall and have to deal with impatient kids (and adults).

You can usually board the ship around 11:00. We love being on early. Gives us time to explore before it gets really crowded. Make sure to pack a bathing suit or a change of clothes into your carryon so you can relax at the pool if you want because your luggage won't be at your cabin till later on.

You can board as soon as the ship is nearly empty. I have always been able to board before noon. Go there early if that is important, get in line and be one of the first on board. Getting to the port about 10:30am ought to do you just fine.

We are a group of 8 (w/2 young boys) sailing on the Radiance in a couple of weeks. Our documents state our boarding time as 2pm.

You should be able to board after 11:00 as the other poster have said. This early arrival is a great time to search out dining room table assignments and to make needed changes before the crowd arrives. The dining rooms will be closed, but open the door and go in to explore. We did, and everyone in there was most helpful.

Do you think we will be able to board on the Serenade in San Juan around 11:00 am. DW and I were thinking of getting up, having a nice breakfast and heading over around 11:00. Does this seem too early as the ship doesn't sail until 10:00pm and our docs say boarding starts at 2:00 pm? Thanks, Joe V.

Serenade of the Seas 1/7/2006

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

Princess 3 times

QE2 1 time

RCI 2 times Song of America and Monarch of the Seas

Carnival 1 time

Royal Majesty 1 time

First off I'd like to say I love to board as early as anyone.

But a word of caution here. I can't remember the number of messages on this board about how bad getting on the ship was. In the majority of the cases they got to the port early and had to wait to board due to any number of issues such as taking a long time to unload the ship.

Heck, my last two cruises on mega liners (Navigator and Carribean Princess) I got to the port at 10:30 and in each case didn't get to board until after 1pm due to customs holding up the unloading of passengers. But I don't mind this as I find the waiting time fun and use it to meet and chat with some of my fellow passengers, I've met some great people this way.

They publish the 2pm time so they have time to clear the ship and start loading again.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is IF you have to wait around to board for a couple of hours and you will find this stressful go to the ship later. If you don't mind waiting and see it as just part of the cruise adventure go early.

We boarded the AOS in San Juan early. Although departure was set at 10:00 pm, we still were on board before noon. I think we got to the port at 10:00 am and had to stand in line out side for an hour and then waited inside until shortly before noon. Some will call us crazy, but on a vacation your likely to do anything outrageous. We had nothing else to do so we enjoyed talking with the other people waiting with us.

we have always been allowed to board before the time listed on our cruise documents. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that the boarding will not start until all of the departing passengers have left the ship and if you're unlucky like we were customs completes their inspections.

It is true that it seems to be taking longer and longer for previous passengers to debark. Another thing is that rooms are not ready until 1:00 so you have to "tote" your carry-on's around with you to the Windjammer, etc. Except, of course, for those who think the rules do not apply to them and try to barge in anyway:rolleyes:

I just called my hotel to book the shuttle to the port and they mentioned that security would not allow cabs or shuttles into the RCL port until noon. They said its been that way for a few years but I've heard people say they plan to arrive as early as 11am....how is that possible with the security restrictions?

Yea, my cab got to the shipyard at 10:45 with no issues... security has no clue what ship your going on or anything like that... there are 4-5 ships every day at that port and there are cabs leaving the port and coming back to pick up and drop off customers all day long.

If security won't let cabs on how are they there to pick passengers up at 8:00AM when the cruise ship lets them off..

Cabs love to actually get a fair going to the port, that way then can double up from the airport, instead of dropping off at airport and hurrying back to get another fair from the cruise ship.

It looks like DW and I will plan to arrive at the port in San Juan at noon. Thanks all. Joe V.

Serenade of the Seas 1/7/2006

Zuiderdam 4/23/05

Princess 3 times

QE2 1 time

RCI 2 times Song of America and Monarch of the Seas

Carnival 1 time

Royal Majesty 1 time

When we sailed Seranade Oct/Nov 2005 we were allowed to get on the ship by 11:30 a.m. and were in the Windjammer eating lunch by 12:30 or so. Didn't sail until 10 p.m. to that gave us plenty of time to explore the ship!

We will be sailing the Navigator in July and have read on these boards that the Navigator sometimes is difficult to board earlier than the 2 p.m. boarding time due to customs. Anyone out there that has sailed it recently, can you let me know if this is still true? I am disabled and don't want to stand (can't really stand very long) in line for a long time but we want to get on early and explore like we did the Seranade. I know they pulled me to the front of the line for the Seranade as I have a walker. I hope they do the same with the Navigator. I'm just thinking of all my friends and family that will be with me too. They only allowed my elderly friend to go with me to the head of the line for the SOS, my DH and everyone else had to go in the normal line. Which was crazy because then I had to wait for them but at least they had chairs for me to sit in while I waited.

Thanks for any feedback from those who have sailed the Navigator recently.

Sue

I've always been able to get on the ship before the posted 2pm time. Most times we are onboard by noon. Granted, you won't be able to get to your stateroom until 1pm or after, but this gives you time to explore the ship, etc.

I just called my hotel to book the shuttle to the port and they mentioned that security would not allow cabs or shuttles into the RCL port until noon. They said its been that way for a few years but I've heard people say they plan to arrive as early as 11am....how is that possible with the security restrictions?

Which port are you referring too?

mercedesmom2002:

I just got off the Navigator, and we got to the port at 10:35 a.m. We waited in chairs (not very many available), for one hour. We were on board the ship and checking things out by 11:45 a.m. Lunch was being served in the Windjammer.

I think the timing all depends on customs. RCI really does not have that much control.

I just like to think of it as part of the cruising experience!

Have fun!

Archived