Passport Emergency Contact

mrsh678

When I got my passport in 2015 I listed my dad as my emergency contact. He passed in March. Do I have to send to update that or I read when I Googled there should be a place in the passport book to write in pencil another emergency contact? I will check for this page when I get home but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I never dreamed my dad wouldn't be here three years later.

I never dreamed my dad wouldn't be here three years later.

Sorry to hear about this. I just checked that page in my passport. It is blank. Apparently the State Department keeps a record of the emergency contact from the passport application and does not put that into the passport for you. I think the spot in the passport is intended to be used as a secondary contact, and can be written in pencil and changed.

I did not know until I read this thread that the DS-5504 needs to be filled out to change the official emergency contact. It appears that they may issue a new passport in the process, since they ask for new photos and the return of the current passport.

Also, it makes me wonder... I listed my spouse as emergency contact, and I usually travel without her on business but we do vacation together and sometimes that is international. Should the emergency contact be someone who would never travel with me?

When I got my passport in 2015 I listed my dad as my emergency contact. He passed in March. Do I have to send to update that or I read when I Googled there should be a place in the passport book to write in pencil another emergency contact? I will check for this page when I get home but wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue. I never dreamed my dad wouldn't be here three years later.

It is optional. You can write in a name in your book or not, it is up to you. The key is to let someone you trust know your itinerary when traveling.

Also, it makes me wonder... I listed my spouse as emergency contact, and I usually travel without her on business but we do vacation together and sometimes that is international. Should the emergency contact be someone who would never travel with me?

DH and I occasionally travel without the other, but more commonly we are together. For that reason we listed one of our grown daughters as our emergency contact. If one of us was incapacitated, the other would already be there with them. But if both of us were involved, she would be the one who needed to deal with things. However, before he retired, when he did a lot more business travel and the kids were young, we listed each other.