We're Baaaack.........after a botch NCL reservation

Hi fellow RCL cruisers. I'm happy to say that we're back cruising RCL again. We actually booked a Norwegian Cruise Lines ship for early 2019, but after some not so cool customer service experiences by some friends, we cancelled and rebooked next year on Allure. Doing the Western route this time.

After researching we thought "Hey let's try something different". Norwegian Breakaway was our choice. But NCL treated some friends of ours not so nicely, plus looking at all the nickel and diming they do to you, we cancelled the booking. Luckily the deposit was fully refundable.

On Allure we are in the same position on the ship as we were on Harmony this year, only 4 decks higher. We really enjoyed the big ship and are looking forward to doing it again this time.

Looking forward to more banter on this board too. (BTW...and I am not joking....this is a much friendlier board than the NCL board. Another thing that tipped us back to RCL...all you nice folks !!)

At least you cancelled PRIOR to making a mistake with NCL. We actually went through with a sailing, lol. We are BACK to RCCL (and Carnival, I still like Carnival!)

Reading these replies I am feeling better and better.

The nickel and diming really made my teeth itch. Their private island, Harvest Caye, they don't own. So all food and beverage there is extra $$. Ultimate beverage package does not include bottled water, specialty coffees, or fresh juice. There are shows on board that cost extra. Free drink package isn't free. You still pay 20% gratuity on what would be there premium price. And I'm sure there are other things I didn't find out yet.

I guess I'm just spoiled in the way RCL does it. Sure they make there money other ways, but I don't feel like there is an extra charge around every corner.

Now I have to just sit back and look out for that $39 Deluxe drink package special :D

You dodged a bullet with that reservation. The Breakaway has probably the WORST design of any ship I've been on. The public spaces are small and crammed together. You feel "crowded" all the time. The adult area is laughable.... no pool, no hot tub, just a makeshift waterfall for you to sit under.

My wife's cousin went on the Breakaway in January and had the drink package. Most of the people on board had some kind of a free drink package as well. The problem is not being able to get a drink at any bar because so many waiting for drinks. The bartenders know when the ships do this and are very slow with service.

We tried NCL Epic last November and it was our worst cruise ever. Prefer Celebrity but since they don't sail out of Tampa or Port Canaveral we are Royal all the way. No more NCL for us.

Even with reservations you had to stand in line for at least 30 minutes to get to your table for dinner. Food was ok but not as good as Celebrity. As prior post had to wait for drinks with drink package and had to buy water. Could NOT use NCL obc to pay gratuities as you can on Royal. Only good thing about the cruise was our cabin with awesome walk-in shower big enough for 6 adults.

Tried them once. Caught the stateroom attendant going through our stuff. The hotel director was not amused either. Kid should be glad he is still alive. Never heard a word from them post cruise.

NCL had a great product and ruined it when the were bought out in a hostile takeover by Star Cruises about 20 years ago. Left NCL right after they switched to Freestyle. Royal still accommodates those of us who like assigned MDR dining. I do think Royal is catching up quick to NCL’s nickel and diming though.

My wife's cousin went on the Breakaway in January and had the drink package. Most of the people on board had some kind of a free drink package as well. The problem is not being able to get a drink at any bar because so many waiting for drinks. The bartenders know when the ships do this and are very slow with service.

Your wife’s cousin? What about her dentist’s landscaper? The only wait I’ve ever had for drinks on NCL has been on the pool deck during sailaway, and we frequent many bars.

To each his own I guess. We really enjoyed the Breakaway, and the issues we had with NCL (nickel & diming, making changes to whats included without letting people know ahead of time, etc) seem to be issues with RCL as well. And we had zero issues with making and accessing our reservation with NCL. Not so with our RCL reservation.