Carnival Dream Flooded

MikeMA

When you post on FB it becomes their property anyway.

100% not true. That’s just not how copyright works. Your terms of service specifically notes that the user maintains ownership rights to all photos posted on Facebook.

By posting on Facebook, you grant Facebook a license (royalty free, non-exclusive) right to use that image. They can USE that image however they want, but you still own the image.

And yes, the maker of the photos owns an automatic copyright on any and all photos taken. Recently, there was a case where PETA tried to assert copyright rights on behalf of a monkey who took a “selfie” with a dropped camera. PETA said the photo copyright should belong to the monkey (seriously) While the court ruled against the monkey, it was not an frivolous argument based on copyrights held by the making of photos.

Posting in a forum like this will probably be considered “fair use” and allowed without compensation (or even permission). However, the source should be cited (by name of presumptive owner, not “somebody posted this on Facebook”). The lack of citation to source, however, is more a matter of form than s matter of legality.

Now....can we get back to talking about cruising? I leave in 21 days and am trying to focus here!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They will need to replace the carpets, so I wouldn’t worry about mold being an issue. Question though: did you ask for permission to repost this person’s pictures here?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If they were publicly posted then you don't need permission. Fyi

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Forums mobile app

Only on CC can a thread about an incident turn into an argument about whether or not it’s legal to post photos/videos. Anyway' date=' great job by Carnival taking immediate action compensating the affected passengers. Very generous offer.

Truth... Damn ridiculous!

If they were publicly posted then you don't need permission. Fyi
For those of you who are just now commenting about the permission/copyright discussion, it helps to read the entire thread first because nearly all of what people are saying now has already been said, repeatedly. Apparently, it's upsetting the ones who can't handle seeing a topic stray a bit. ;p

Only on CC can a thread about an incident turn into an argument about whether or not it’s legal to post photos/videos.
Truth... Damn ridiculous!
No' date=' not [i']only [/i]on CC. Discussions oftentimes stray away from their original topics or branch off into side conversations when multiple people are involved. It happens everywhere, all the time, all around the internet and in the real world.

100% not true. That’s just not how copyright works. Your terms of service specifically notes that the user maintains ownership rights to all photos posted on Facebook.

By posting on Facebook, you grant Facebook a license (royalty free, non-exclusive) right to use that image. They can USE that image however they want, but you still own the image.

And yes, the maker of the photos owns an automatic copyright on any and all photos taken. Recently, there was a case where PETA tried to assert copyright rights on behalf of a monkey who took a “selfie” with a dropped camera. PETA said the photo copyright should belong to the monkey (seriously) While the court ruled against the monkey, it was not an frivolous argument based on copyrights held by the making of photos.

Posting in a forum like this will probably be considered “fair use” and allowed without compensation (or even permission). However, the source should be cited (by name of presumptive owner, not “somebody posted this on Facebook”). The lack of citation to source, however, is more a matter of form than s matter of legality.

Now....can we get back to talking about cruising? I leave in 21 days and am trying to focus here!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you meant to quote someone else. I never said pictures or videos are the property of Facebook. All I said was if you post a picture or video on FB you can rest assured it will be shared by thousands around the world. Regardless, enjoy your cruise and carry on!

All interior deck drains, in technical spaces and lockers on each deck (where most of that water would have drained down) drain down to the engine room bilges. Once in the bilges, this clean water (no oil) is now considered bilge water (contaminated by oil), and must be processed through the ship's Oil Water Separator (OWS). The OWS, filters and separates particulates and oil from the bilge water and pumps it overboard. The OWS, by law, has an "oil content meter" that measures the amount of oil in the water going overboard, and will automatically stop pumping overboard and return the water to the bilge tank for further processing when the oil content exceeds the legal limit of 15ppm. This is the set up that every ship on the oceans has today. Most cruise ships take the water from the bilges and pump it to a "dirty bilge tank", process it through an OWS but instead of going overboard, it goes to the "clean bilge tank", where it is then processed by a second OWS, and then passes a third oil content meter that has a recording function on it, before going overboard. So, nearly every cruise ship exceeds the legal requirements for discharge of bilge water to a great degree.

The drains in the cabin bathrooms are gray water drains, and all of this water drains down to the gray water holding tank, where it is processed by the waste water treatment plant before being sent overboard. While this flood resulted in a few tons of water in excess of normal operating for both the OWS and the waste water treatment plant, it would not represent any major problem for these systems to handle the excess in normal treatment.

Thank you for an interesting treatise on an offhand snark. ;)

My main point remains, "Kudos, Carnival, for trying to make your passengers whole again".

That will be quite a feat to replace all the carpeting on turnaround day.

They started almost as soon as the water was turned off, and will continue through the current cruise and into turn-around day. The crew will reschedule their work hours to work on renewing carpet around the clock if the noise won't disturb the adjoining guests.

Scary!! Something every year going wrong with carnival. Luckily they have good customer service.

NCL could learn alot about customer service. and not to scare the daylights out of passengers

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-passengers-recall-trip-atlantic-ocean-winter-storm-2018/

Scary!! Something every year going wrong with carnival. Luckily they have good customer service.

Lol, I guess there are many ways to look at it. They had a leak, it happens.

With lots of ships, lots more chances for things to go wrong. True, a there-and-back cruise

with 8 of 9 days at sea is asking for the kind of trouble they got on the Legend. At least

they haven't had Costa Concordia-level trouble so far.

Just got off the Fantasy and heard about this. I would love that deal! This is an ocean going vessel....it can handle a little water!

On the copyright deal....the best way to solve that is just draw your picture of what you saw ;)

GZkWdMm3p9-1.png

Gotta love when the “experts” come in and give directives without a shred of facts or evidence. Maybe it should be free cruises for life, after all it was their vacation.

Thank you yes I am an expert almost 30 years in customer service. Carnival is very profitable and I would expect them to compensate any effected customer with an immediate refund and a free cruise along with any airfare and expenses. A real expert st customer service would pay for excursions and five free drink packages.

I’m never the type of person to ask for things for free. But wrong is wrong. Even an accident t should be covered by over the top customer service.

Thank you yes I am an expert almost 30 years in customer service. Carnival is very profitable and I would expect them to compensate any effected customer with an immediate refund and a free cruise along with any airfare and expenses. A real expert st customer service would pay for excursions and five free drink packages.

I’m never the type of person to ask for things for free. But wrong is wrong. Even an accident t should be covered by over the top customer service.

But you just did (ask for something, this at my vacation mentality and they owe is what is wrong with all of society). How do you know how profitable Carnival is?

They had a mistake, they more than rectified it. Case closed despite the contrary from the self proclaimed experts. s a stock holder I am sure glad that smarter heads prevailed in the carnival camp.

Happy sailing!

But you just did (ask for something, this at my vacation mentality and they owe is what is wrong with all of society). How do you know how profitable Carnival is?

They had a mistake, they more than rectified it. Case closed despite the contrary from the self proclaimed experts. s a stock holder I am sure glad that smarter heads prevailed in the carnival camp.

Happy sailing!

"How do you know how profitable Carnival is?" :confused: A 10% dividend bump last time? ;)

And nicely-balanced compensation (like this time) when Mr Muphy visits has a lot to do with it.

"How do you know how profitable Carnival is?" :confused: A 10% dividend bump last time? ;)

And nicely-balanced compensation (like this time) when Mr Muphy visits has a lot to do with it.

Neither answered the question.