Happy Hour

We are on the July Westerdam cruise to Alaska from Vancouver. HAL could not verify if it will have a happy hour. Could someone let us know if all HAL cruises do actually have happy hours. We are trying to decided if it is worthwhile getting the Signature Beverage Package, or just buying our drinks without a card, and more or less stock up during their happy hour. I don't know if you can get 2 for 1 beer buckets at happy hour...perhaps someone could chime in,,,,thanks

You can get canned or bottled beer. The Happy Hour special is you buy one and get the second one for $2. I have purchased a bucket at regular prices and got a 2nd bucket for $2 on a few occasions.

Hi,

you can purchase every drink you like during happy hour.

Only rule is, that it has to be the same drink.

It is also guilty for all bottled beers and so on.

Greetings

Jan

Just off the westerdam to Alaska, happy hours everyday at 4pm-5pm then again at 10pm-11, only did the early one. Hubby and I just bought 2 of the same glasses of wine, the second being $2. Rolando would always come by before happy hour ended for us to get another round. I think it was in the ocean bar and one other one, can’t remember (maybe we ordered too many:')).

tks 4 the review...still thing about getting the Signature Pkg

We consider ourselves people who like to indulge in evening drinks. Most nights, we would have a drink before dinner, 2 with dinner, and 3 more while dancing or gambling. We opted to hit the happy hours and also brought our own wine on the ship and paid the courage for a case of very nice California wine. The SBP includes 15 drinks a day, we really couldn’t justify spending over $100 a day on drinks alone. We took full advantage of the early and late night happy hour. At the end of the trip, we paid about $500 in drinks/corkage for our 12 day cruise for 2 drinkers. The SBP is roughly $100 a day for 2. We saved roughly $600 by bringing our own wine and utilizing Happy Hours. We still bought drinks outside of happy hour, but tried to catch the early and late night HH to maximize our money. We also don’t drink caffeine, so supplementing drinks with specialty coffees or sodas wasn’t appealing. We picked up bottled waters in the various port for $1 a bottle.

To make the SBP ($49.95/pp/PD)worth the $, you’d have to drink more than 7 alcoholic drinks a day at $8 each (sodas and water are cheaper), to make the SBP worth the money. If you get it for free, great. But, it doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy hours appear to be in the ocean bar and the crow's nest. Times vary, and don't often appear to be the same in both places. Hot appetizers during HH are hit and miss, we've seen them most often in the ocean bar. And, as said, it's the "second drink $2" that applies to HH.

re post 10. Interesting comments, but not everyone is in a position to bring on their own wine so if you had to buy your own wine on board, would the pkg be a better deal? With the package you also get complimentary bottled water (and soda, which you would not utilize) During happy hours, according to a HAL rep, it is up to the bartender which drinks are available during HH and could be limited. We have found during HH that it gets so crowded and we would much prefer to get our drinks at other bars during this time period where it is less crowded and not having to wait until that hour comes around. Having a shot of liqueur in our coffee as well as a liqueur or a mixed drink or beer anytime appeals to us, but of course all of us have to decide which is best for each individual. JMO

Just another note: For the packages, after talking to different HAL personnel, one rep told me that each person has to order their own drink, the other rep said that the beverage card can be shared. Who is right? On another note, again talking to a rep at HAL, a double in one glass counts as 1 drink...Interesting.

...one rep told me that each person has to order their own drink, the other rep said that the beverage card can be shared.

The Beverage Card can be shared, since it is limited in value, and there is no discount.

The Signature Beverage Package cannot be shared, as (if you drink enough) there is a big discount.

They have similar names, but are two different offerings.

We are on the July Westerdam cruise to Alaska from Vancouver. HAL could not verify if it will have a happy hour. Could someone let us know if all HAL cruises do actually have happy hours. We are trying to decided if it is worthwhile getting the Signature Beverage Package, or just buying our drinks without a card, and more or less stock up during their happy hour. I don't know if you can get 2 for 1 beer buckets at happy hour...perhaps someone could chime in,,,,thanks

Usually around 4to 5 pm and another one later in evening I1:30 to 12:30....

That was what we experienced on our two NA cruises

• 7 months later...

December 2018'

I have asked many questions re HAPPY HOUR and have NOT received the answers I would like.As an older person,I would like to be able to attend happy hour then depart to my cabin with my xtra drink purchased for $2..

Questions.

1 Do they still have happy hour on Westerdam

2 How much are the drinks eg $8 a glass.  2nd one $2

3 Can I take my 2nd one back to my cabin... 

We are coming from NZ and our dollar is almost half the American so very budget conscious.

Pat M N

54 minutes ago, pat m N said:

December 2018'

I have asked many questions re HAPPY HOUR and have NOT received the answers I would like.As an older person,I would like to be able to attend happy hour then depart to my cabin with my xtra drink purchased for $2..

Questions.

1 Do they still have happy hour on Westerdam

2 How much are the drinks eg $8 a glass.  2nd one $2

3 Can I take my 2nd one back to my cabin... 

We are coming from NZ and our dollar is almost half the American so very budget conscious.

Pat M N

Question 1 - YES

Qeustion 2 - depends on what you are getting - a standard cocktail is around $8.95, beers less, some wines for $9 and some more.

Question 3 - you can take your drink whereever you want including back to your cabin 😉

We are from Canada and feel the pinch with the exchange rate too so I feel your pain.  Nevertheless, we have a great time on board.

You might want to watch your exchange rates and if you see a favourable one (I know none of them are great 😉 ) buy some OBC so you choose the exchange rate and are not subjet to the day at the time you check out.  It's helped me in the past to save a few $.