Why I don't like the Petite Chef

cruiseerf

We did this ONCE, we thought it was cute, but nothing more. This technology has been around for years..tepid...AND with the limited menu....we will NEVER be back. Even if they changed the menu, the idea of not having options and choices for meals is a real turnoff for us. Also the Regimented dining where the "Show must go on"....grates on us. I think they will offer more menu's and different videos in the future, as they will have to. Even if they changed it up, I don't watch cartoons at home and I don't like fixed menu's....so to pay $55 for this is absolutely crazy for us. That said it came free with our suite....but we would never pay or go back, even if free and included as it was.

Safe Sails to all!

Glad to see the video--but what separates this from the MDR other than the "video"--NOT worth even$25 pp, imo.

We LOVED Qsine...would have tried it twice. We did do Murano twice on one cruise & while the food is very good, it is a very rich meal & I recall the 2nd time we felt like we just wanted a salad!

No Qsine or Lawn Club on Equniox; really cannot justify a dining package as DH isn't a big Asian fan.

MDR it is!

An authentic Spanish tapas place would have been a nice replacement concept and they could have sold some sangria with that. Instead of a needed tweak, they just killed it in favor of a gimmick.

this. maybe i'm totally spoiled in that i live in arizona so our latin style restaurants are off the charts, but if Celebrity did this and did it well, i think it would be a favorite of ours. even just gourmet tacos. i loveeee tacos. lol.

One possibility is that Le Petit Chef is only taking over Qsine is temporarily. My guess is that Celebrity is savvy enough to know that this is not a repeat-type restaurant, especially at that price. Possibly, as the Revolution occurs and each ship is Edgified, they will follow the Edge model and have a Le Grand Bistro (or another restaurant) with Le Petit Chef being offered 1-2 times per cruise. The footprint might fit best where Sushi on 5 is now, but with the remodel, it could put it in other spaces.

Le Grand Bistro serves breakfast, lunch and dinner ($10, $20, $25 on the Edge, with the 1-2 nights it is Le Petit Chef $55) and has a some takeout items (for a fee, I assume).

enhance

Just speculating....:D

Okay, my speculation may be off. The Edge cruise planners just added Le Petit Chef as an option for pre-booking. They have been saying since the beginning that Le Petit Chef would only be available 1-2 nights of each cruise so it was surprising to see it offered every night at 6:00 and 8:00.

It looks like, at least for now, Le Petit Chef will take over Le Grand Bistro every night. Maybe because it has been so well-received on other ships, they decided to run it every night. Not a big deal in this case, since we can enjoy Le Grand Bistro for lunch so it doesn't completely take away a specialty dining option. Maybe they will run it every night until the demand drops off (if it does) and then go back to the 1-2 times a week original model on the Edge (and maybe on the other ships).

• 3 months later...
Mum (84 years young!) and I loved it! We chose onion soup instead of the fish stew and weren't made to feel bad for doing so - loved the video of little chef making the fish stew. We did choose to sit on a two top rather than a longer table but we were easily able to chat to each other in between the videos.

We would choose to do it again.

Wendy

Thank you for this... I have a shellfish allergy...what is the option in place of the Lobster?

RS77471, I honestly cannot remember. I know we ordered french onion soup instead of the fish soup but we picked away at the lobster salad. Certainly there was another choice and it would be one of those things you can check on once onboard - they are very good about allergies. Just remember the videos only match the main menu but you still get to see them even if you choose another option.

Wendy

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is definately a place we won't try since one of us is allergic to all fish, shell fish etc and needs the chefs to be flexible in preparing our food. They do a great job in the MDR, in Blu and in the other specialty restaurants so we will be sticking with what works for us. $55?? wow, that is pricey.

Okay, my speculation may be off. The Edge cruise planners just added Le Petit Chef as an option for pre-booking. They have been saying since the beginning that Le Petit Chef would only be available 1-2 nights of each cruise so it was surprising to see it offered every night at 6:00 and 8:00.

It looks like, at least for now, Le Petit Chef will take over Le Grand Bistro every night. Maybe because it has been so well-received on other ships, they decided to run it every night. Not a big deal in this case, since we can enjoy Le Grand Bistro for lunch so it doesn't completely take away a specialty dining option. Maybe they will run it every night until the demand drops off (if it does) and then go back to the 1-2 times a week original model on the Edge (and maybe on the other ships).

Only problem is the non flexible menu. But good food and fun if you sit with a larger group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having just gotten off of the Infinity last week I can say that we really enjoyed LPC and dined there twice. There is flexibility in the food (fish or chicken instead lobster and filet mignon for instance). The video show follows the set menu so if you order something different, it won't match the video but it really doesn't matter.

The entire restaurant was chuckling and laughing throughout the video - so enjoyable. As someone else said, it isn't like you are constantly on the ship so it likely won't get old. I can foresee some advancements so that the video can be expanded or changed somewhat. We enjoyed LPC more than the other specialty restaurants (but loved the food in Sushi on Five).

I guess a question to ask yourself is whether you go to the same restaurants at home and order the same thing ......... watch movies or read a book more than once, etc. If you want it to be boring - it certainly can be but most people that we saw enjoyed it.

I think I'd try it and I have watched the video. I can totally understand why it won't be for everyone and agree it might be rather short lived as a result.

If it were my decision I'd run an Asian themed restaurant alternating between Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Thai nightly to give people much more choice during their cruise. You'd appeal to many then who may want to try completely different menus on up to four separate nights.

I think I'd try it and I have watched the video. I can totally understand why it won't be for everyone and agree it might be rather short lived as a result.

If it were my decision I'd run an Asian themed restaurant alternating between Chinese, Japanese, Indian and Thai nightly to give people much more choice during their cruise. You'd appeal to many then who may want to try completely different menus on up to four separate nights.

That is exactly what I think they could easily do at sushi....None of the menu’s would need to be extensive...

I keep trying to convince myself I'd like this but it's not happening. Looking for a convincing review.

Dining with a large group of people watching a 3-D type video on the table, more than half the guests videotaping that with their phones, then the video turns off and a plate of food is set on the table. Am I correct about how this works? I think a table for two at Murano, Tuscan Grille or Lawn Garden with conversation would be more enjoyable and better food too. If we skip Petit Chef, will go to one of the other specialty restaurants twice. (4-dinner package).

I keep trying to convince myself I'd like this but it's not happening. Looking for a convincing review.

Dining with a large group of people watching a 3-D type video on the table, more than half the guests videotaping that with their phones, then the video turns off and a plate of food is set on the table. Am I correct about how this works? I think a table for two at Murano, Tuscan Grille or Lawn Garden with conversation would be more enjoyable and better food too. If we skip Petit Chef, will go to one of the other specialty restaurants twice. (4-dinner package).

I agree. I watched a video of LPC on youtube and while I'm sure the live experience is different, I'm really not drawn to the concept. That said, there seem to be a lot of people who really enjoy it. Isn't choice great!