Why I don't like the Petite Chef

cruiseerf

Hello All:

I was surprised to find Le Petite Chef on the Reflection on one of our last cruises. We gave it a try (getting n the Edge mood) and the whole situation left me as BLAH. First off, it is a for pay restaurant at $55 per head. We cruise about 6 times per year and we are also big land travelers to fun cities like Vegas, New Orleans, Miami etc. Technology is not our "thing" per say however we both have cell phones, have played video games when younger and are computer literate. We have seen animation our whole lives at Disney and many theme parks etc. Cute.

First off the Fact that LPC is in 4 "Acts" is annoying and regimented.....They tell you that chef takes a break after the third "Act" HINT go to Toilet HERE! One guy went to toilet early and when came back talking everyone told him to SHHHHH....how dare he! ;) So if you gotta go, go after the third act, thats you curtain call!

Four acts.....1 seafood stew, 2: lobster tail, 3 a filet mignon, fish or chicken, and then dessert. Substitutions are available however you are clearly told that they will not "Match" the show....so I would say they are frowned upon..... No bread is served you must ask if want...takes up too much room on the table. For us, far too little choice as half the fun of going on a cruise is CHOICE....and here you have pretty much none. No in the mood for the menu the night you have booked? Ate too much at lunch? Your problem. Remember they are on a time schedule.....so the meal moves along at their pace Not Yours.

6:15 or 8:15 dining times brings us back to the two seating systems cruise companies are trying so hard to get away from...Too Early or too late. Everything about this dining experience is dictated to you, similar to seeing a mediocre play....lights down...act 1...lights up....pee now....lights flash back to seats...lights up goodbye. Really not the type of meal we are looking for on a cruise.

The animation is cute...but nothing out of the ordinary if you have seen any sci fi movies or visited theme parks in the past years. Remember that the Chef is doing the same thing for everyone so he is not interactive.....if you order the chicken you still see the show about the beef....so it is just a recording on a loop.....and while pretty....it was not WOW at all..it was kind of Blah.

While I was no great lover of Qsine....what it did give us was CHOICE.....We could have Indian, Chinese, Seafood, Chicken Beef, could arrive at 915 PM or 6:45 pm....we could eat slow or fast and the food was consistently good....not the best, but good enough that we would eat there on every cruise once. Qsine had something for everyone, especially if on for long periods, b2b etc.

The food quality at LPC was good and the Filet Mignon was delicious....Lobster and seafood way too salty....but we were told these recipes are from corporate....which is another issue because you are relying on a "Fixed" recipe .....every cook cooks "With a different hand".....so you never get the same tasting food....both positive and negative. Our food was a solid 6 out of 10 in LPC...Everything else....We will never return. It was a mediocre experience.

This is all IMHO.....We met couples (much older) who were tickled by the concept and said they had been three times and loved it....This is also a great meal if you don't want to talk with your dining companions as the show constantly interrupts. Am I glad I tried it once? Yes, but the concept and theater like setting is a real turn off for us. Even at 50% off, we would not return.

Safe Sails to all.

It is very refreshing to hear from someone who doesn’t like Le Petit Chef BUT has actually seen it! There have been lots of comments from future cruisers who have condemned it without giving it a chance!

We were among the many on our seating who giggled right through and enjoyed both the food and entertainment. We tried it expecting not to particularly find it ‘wonderful’ but our holiday game is always to try something new.....We did, however, thoroughly enjoy....The world would indeed be boring if we all liked the same!

Do I understand correctly - you have a choice of filet mignon, fish or chicken in "Act 3" but the video only covers one to those? Also, I rarely order lobster on cruise ships as it has always been a disappointment. Is this lobster better than in the MDR?

Thanks for sharing a different perspective. You covered some points that I’d not seen mentioned before, such as decreased opportunity for interactions with companions and the timing sequences. This is most helpful in decision making.

Thanks for your review. Here is a link to a you tube video posted recently by another CC member (Paul) that was on the Reflection. It is long, about 15 minutes, and covers all 4 courses. After watching the video, I'm not sure there really is a reason to spend the money. It is very gimmicky.

Mum (84 years young!) and I loved it! We chose onion soup instead of the fish stew and weren't made to feel bad for doing so - loved the video of little chef making the fish stew. We did choose to sit on a two top rather than a longer table but we were easily able to chat to each other in between the videos.

We would choose to do it again.

Wendy

It is very refreshing to hear from someone who doesn’t like Le Petit Chef BUT has actually seen it! There have been lots of comments from future cruisers who have condemned it without giving it a chance!

We were among the many on our seating who giggled right through and enjoyed both the food and entertainment. We tried it expecting not to particularly find it ‘wonderful’ but our holiday game is always to try something new.....We did, however, thoroughly enjoy....The world would indeed be boring if we all liked the same!

Would you bother returning?

Would you bother returning?

Yes we would! It wasn’t the best dining experience we have ever had but it really was a very refreshing change. We are not generally ‘gimmicky’ people and have been disappointed once or twice in the past when we have booked ‘themed’ dinners of one type or another but if you don’t try you will never know! Good as Paul’s video is it can not be the same as being there with family or friends sharing fun and laughter. I understand it isn’t for everyone, I think the OP expresses his reasons for not enjoying clearly.

The food was nice, although as others have said two deserts probably isn’t the best balance. We spoke to someone with a very restrictive diet and they were very happy with the way they had been accommodated.

To me the only issue is I do think it is overpriced at $55. If we didn’t get it ‘free’ with our RS I think I would be trying to negotiate something! If we were on a budget and could only have either Murano’s or Le Petit Chef now I have seen it Murano’s would win....If I had never experienced it before, however, Le Petit Chef would be my shout...if you don’t try you never know!

I was a little intrigued and might have been enticed to try it when I find myself on a ship offering the meal, but now that I've seen the youtube video, it's taken the mystery out of the dinner. I'm kind of surprised that Celebrity (and or le petit chef) allows the entire dinner presentation to be recorded and shown on YouTube. One wonder's if it's a violation of copyright/T&C's.

I was a little intrigued and might have been enticed to try it when I find myself on a ship offering the meal, but now that I've seen the youtube video, it's taken the mystery out of the dinner. I'm kind of surprised that Celebrity (and or le petit chef) allows the entire dinner presentation to be recorded and shown on YouTube. One wonder's if it's a violation of copyright/T&C's.

I had the opposite reaction - I had no interest in dining here until I saw the video. As an easily entertained person, I find the whole thing rather ingenious for appealing to these past couple of generations obsessed with anything on a screen.

I hope this is still going on Reflection this fall. If it can be included in the specialty dinner package I will try it - however, at $55pp I will not. That is more than half the price of a ticket to Disney World!

To answer some questions:

1) Correct no matter what you order if you deviate from menu...the same show goes on

2) No we would not return....There is no value there for us....too Regimented mediocre animation

3) Yes, $55 is far too high for this

4) The Lobster is same lobster served everywhere....just prepared More Fancily......Sea urchin Puree etc.

5) You are paying for the gimmick and not the food.....The food is fine....But the folk show is the folk show ;)

6) If this is going on all ships.....this is one restaurant none of us will eat on ever again.....But perhaps Celebrity wants mostly younger newbies.....That appears to be this target market.

7) I am pretty sure I did a meal like this in Abu Dhabi or Dubai years ago....it wasn't good there either....luckily it was a business dinner ;)

Safe sails all.

My thoughts exactly. I wondered about the copyright issues, too. But the company that developed and sells this is called Skull Mapping. They have put up their own videos on you tube and their own site, so I guess they don't care. More likely, its a form of viral marketing.

5) You are paying for the gimmick and not the food.....The food is fine....But the folk show is the folk show ;)

Safe sails all.

Just another diversion to take away from the fact that food quality has significantly declined in specialty restaurants since the days of Normandie, Ocean Liners, etc.

None of them in my opinion are worth what they charge. We like Qsine. Ate there free the first time and got a discount the second time. We have also eaten at Tuscan Grille twice and were not overly impressed. Especially since the second time they could not cook my filet mignon correctly after two tries. Everyone else at the table was finished eating and again they brought me a rare piece of meat when I asked for medium. Will not go again unless invited for free from Captain's Club Host(ess).

I can't see trying Le Petit Chef unless invited for free or deeply discount.

Yes we would! It wasn’t the best dining experience we have ever had but it really was a very refreshing change. We are not generally ‘gimmicky’ people and have been disappointed once or twice in the past when we have booked ‘themed’ dinners of one type or another but if you don’t try you will never know! Good as Paul’s video is it can not be the same as being there with family or friends sharing fun and laughter. I understand it isn’t for everyone, I think the OP expresses his reasons for not enjoying clearly.

The food was nice, although as others have said two deserts probably isn’t the best balance. We spoke to someone with a very restrictive diet and they were very happy with the way they had been accommodated.

To me the only issue is I do think it is overpriced at $55. If we didn’t get it ‘free’ with our RS I think I would be trying to negotiate something! If we were on a budget and could only have either Murano’s or Le Petit Chef now I have seen it Murano’s would win....If I had never experienced it before, however, Le Petit Chef would be my shout...if you don’t try you never know!

$55 each is not small change, especially when you’re paying for a family :eek:.

Other cruise lines seem to have lower prices but don't offer as many discounts. I don't mind paying an up-charge for specialty dining but wish the price wasn't dependent on demand.

We liked Le Petit Chef experience during TA on Reflection few weeks ago. It was entertaining and fun to do it once. It was offered at $25/ pp. But I would not go again. For $50.00 /pp I would rather go to Murano. Just my two cents.

Video and photos were actually encouraged during the dinner. So much so that they handed out a card for an hour of free internet (had to be used by midnight of that night, though I'm not sure how they would know when it expires I think the login was the same for all) so you could share photos and video.

Thanks to the OP for the comments/review and for the other one posting the You tube video - I now know I have zero interest in seeing something so gimmicky. Frankly I found it a bit unappetizing as well. Certainly not worth the $55 pp upcharge. I love Murano and will stick with that. I was not a true fan of Qsine - though I thought it was fine - just nothing unique to me as we have traveled to many places and tried many kinds of foods. Anyway, now I know what the LPC is all about and it is not for me. However that is the nice thing about cruising - there is something for everyone.

Cheers!

We tried Q sine and enjoyed it...the food and service were excellent and we liked the decor...but we prefer a meal over a series of dishes and lite bites. A one and done event for us..

The petit chef will not be for us even once...sounds like a very gimmicky presentation and from the video posted it seems fairly sophmoric at best.. We'd just prefer a good meal. Bet it will make alot of money and be a hit with the kiddies!

If they offer a nice menu at a reasonable price without the pricey petit chef...we'd give the Bistro a try...

We tried Q sine and enjoyed it...the food and service were excellent and we liked the decor...but we prefer a meal over a series of dishes and lite bites. A one and done event for us..

The petit chef will not be for us even once...sounds like a very gimmicky presentation and from the video posted it seems fairly sophmoric at best.. We'd just prefer a good meal. Bet it will make alot of money and be a hit with the kiddies!

If they offer a nice menu at a reasonable price without the pricey petit chef...we'd give the Bistro a try...

Here is Le Grand Bistro menu from the Edge (Le Petit Chef will be offered 1-2 times per cruise). Le Grand Bistro will be $25 ($55 for LPC)- it’s a seems like an informal cafe (or bistro [emoji6]).

Notice under the salads “La Salade Lutoff” likely named after LLP. It looks a bit nutty. [emoji6]

90652640eefe3701ba51508af2b9f63e.jpg

23a16541016542d2fc30b0adc3c68f49.jpg

Here is Le Grand Bistro menu from the Edge (Le Petit Chef will be offered 1-2 times per cruise). Le Grand Bistro will be $25 ($55 for LPC)- it’s a seems like an informal cafe (or bistro [emoji6]).

Notice under the salads “La Salade Lutoff” likely named after LLP. It looks a bit nutty. [emoji6]

Maybe an idea when they Edgify the other ships is to replace sushi on 5 with this restaurant. Could be a great use of that space.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Pavovsky

After 3 meals over the years, I decided Qsine was way to gimmicky to me. (which was also my initial response). LPC seems "gimmicky-er" (new word).

Most definitely agree. And what a change! I thought Qsine was incredibly wasteful but to go from being able to get whatever you want on the menu to 4 courses....it also seems overpriced.

Well the salad Lutoff does look a bit "nutty" and a somewhat odd choice of name: is it a wind up? Otherwise, this looks a really neat menu of "France Bistro" style, which we might well want to try. We never patronised Bistro on 5 and cannot remember what that menu looked like. Is this a phoenix risen from the ashes? In any event, running LPC only a number of times per cruise (particularly on longer cruises) looks a much better balanced idea.