Who really wants to go to Cuba?

Commercial development isn't likely just simply because Americans can now travel there. If something like a hotel/resort/apartment bldg, etc is built in Cuba (or even major improvements made to something existing), the Cuban gov't owns 1/2 of it upon completion. (But doesn't invest money in it.) There is very little incentive to build properties or to improve them. Let's not forget the rest of the world has been visiting Cuba all along, yet the delapidated condition of so many buildings continues. It isn't like to improve as long as builders have to share 50/50 the fruits of their labor with the gov't.

How did you miss the RAMPANT construction along the Malecon, there are cranes everywhere with resorts and hotels under construction.

How did you miss the RAMPANT construction along the Malecon, there are cranes everywhere with resorts and hotels under construction.

Didn't miss anything. Simply stated that just because US citizens can now visit Cuba (which the rest of the world has been doing all along) doesn't mean that all of a sudden modern, well-kept resorts and development will occur and take over. Even if a US citizen wanted to do that, and give away half their investment, they are prohibited from doing so. And all that construction? The investors are willing and prepared to have the Cuban gov't own half of it, because they don't have a choice and that's how it works.

Leaving in 3 days on the Majesty for an overnight in Cuba. I can't wait! :cool: I booked a 2 day private tour and looking forward to visiting a country that was not allowed just a few short years ago for US citizens.

Leaving in 3 days on the Majesty for an overnight in Cuba. I can't wait! :cool: I booked a 2 day private tour and looking forward to visiting a country that was not allowed just a few short years ago for US citizens.

Have fun. The people are lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are snowbirds and cruise a lot from FL when there. Generally don't care where a ship goes and rarely get off anymore. Have seen what we want to see in Caribbean long ago. Really don't want to support Cuban government in any way.

Just boarding a ship that goes to Cuba is supporting the government. Royal has to pay fees to dock and you have to pay the port charge. Florida has more choices for cruises than any other state. I would pick another itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The ship would help me make a decision--no desire to go on Empress. Our church has done 2 mission trips to Cuba and will do another one in September. I may go then before taking a cruise.

For what it is worth - we loved the Empress.

I was going to say the same thing. There were buildings being constructed when I was there May 2017. RIGHT on the waterfront. Just down the road from the port. I know the hurricanes did some damage last year, NOT like St. Maarten, but still got hit pretty bad.

The cruise lines seem to think we really want to go to Cuba. I live in South Florida and have many Cuban people( that I love) and many Cuban restaurants to eat at but do you really want pay extra and jump through hoops just to go here?

Almost 5 million tourists visit Cuba every year. It's the second most visited island in the Caribbean behind the DR.

That probably helps the cruise lines come to the decision that it's a worthwhile stop.