Who really wants to go to Cuba?

Honest question... I can completely understand someone not wanting to travel to a country with a Communist government, but how does being born in German during the war factor into the equation? :confused:

He saw things that the rest of us cannot even imagine. His mom was a nurse during the war and to this day will not talk about it. When you see what he saw, you understand. They came to the US in 1957 and he became a citizen of the US. He is so American but wants nothing to do with any country that is Communist and honestly does not even want to go to Europe b/c of what he grew up with.

DW has talked about Cuba for years, about wanting to see it all before things really open up and modernize. I kept looking at the RCL cruises and they did not give us much time in Cuba and the land trips were far more than I wanted to spend on this adventure. Then I found Azamara does 9 and 10 night trips that visit three ports so here we go in January. The photographer who lives inside me is excited to go and see it and capture the images, just like I did in Norway last week. Just something new to see and do.

Why would you book a cruise to Cuba if you have no intention to get off the ship? You are paying roughly double just go stop in Havana.

But, yes, you pay for the Visa when you board the ship. I'm not sure how they would react if you said you were not getting off.

On NCL you have to pay with your cruise invoice. There's no paying for the Visa on the ship. At least when I went in May 2017. Just fyi.

Went twice with fathom (the second time was a bonus) and fell in love with the country and its people (who have no beef with us - it is the governments who have issues with each other) and would LOVE to go back. It's a beautiful country and people!!

We also went on Fathom and loved it.

A wonderful 7 day people to people Cuba experience.

Wouldn't have traded it for anything, lovely people, experience, food, music.

So happy we had the opportunity.

Absolutely! We are going early next year and are glad to be visiting before any influx of chain restaurants, etc.

We will be there to interact directly with Cuban people and enjoy the art, architecture, music and food of another culture. We plan to do a non-RCI excursion with a good bit of exploring on our own as well. My Spanish is good enough for the basics so all good things are expected.:)

The cruise lines seem to think we really want to go to Cuba. I live in South Florida and have many Cuban people( that I love) and many Cuban restaurants to eat at but do you really want pay extra and jump through hoops just to go here?

I live in Palm Beach County. I cruised to Cuba. It is absolutely NOTHING like south florida culturally. If you just want to go grab some Cuban food on Dixie or off Clematis or Atlantic, go ahead, but nothing like Cuba in any way whatsoever. Havana is gorgeous, like an old European city. It is exactly 0% like the t-shirt and trinkey "Americanized" caribbean ports. No extra hoops other than paying for a Visa. Your screen name sort of says it all really. Enjoy.

If you overnight there can you go on on your own at night? I thought you needed to take an excursion to get off y ship

Sent from my BG2-W09 using Forums mobile app

You need an "excursion" to satisfy the license that RCI thinks you need to board the ship.

Once you are there, you can do what you want, as long as you satisfy the license.

The rules put in place are from the US government, not the Cuban one.

You need an "excursion" to satisfy the license that RCI thinks you need to board the ship.

Once you are there, you can do what you want, as long as you satisfy the license.

The rules put in place are from the US government, not the Cuban one.

N/m

We just returned from an overnight in Havana last month, and absolutely loved it. We enjoyed it so much that we are returning early next year. Of all the ports I've visited, Havana is now my favorite.

We were there in March and would go again in a heart beat. The people were lovely; the music was outstanding. This was one of my favorite stops of all time.

Yes, I would like to go to Cuba and I would especially enjoy touring in one of the vintage cars.

The vintage American cars are such fun to ride in. We cruised up and down the waterfront in a beautiful old convertible.

I absolutely want to go. My 24 y.o. daughter went with a friend in May and had a fabulous, interesting time. She toured with Elvis through Blexie’s tour and said it was amazing - they had a driver in a vintage car. They learned lots about the culture and Elvis steered them to good cigars and rum,

Now if only a newer, better ship were sailing that itinerary.,,,

I really want to go, but most of my friends say no way!

Well if I listened to most of my friends and family I would never have gone on some of my best trips, LOL.

DW has talked about Cuba for years, about wanting to see it all before things really open up and modernize. . .
I agree that it would be nice to experience Cuba before the commercial resort corporations inevitably take over.

I agree that it would be nice to experience Cuba before the commercial resort corporations inevitably take over.

Commercial development isn't likely just simply because Americans can now travel there. If something like a hotel/resort/apartment bldg, etc is built in Cuba (or even major improvements made to something existing), the Cuban gov't owns 1/2 of it upon completion. (But doesn't invest money in it.) There is very little incentive to build properties or to improve them. Let's not forget the rest of the world has been visiting Cuba all along, yet the delapidated condition of so many buildings continues. It isn't like to improve as long as builders have to share 50/50 the fruits of their labor with the gov't.