Who really wants to go to Cuba?

I have Canadian friends who went there recently. It is Caribbean and very inexpensive as you might guess. I heard the food in Costa Rica was better but Cuba has it's fans as well.

Cuba doesn't seem to have many fans among those I know who have gone. Also don't get sick and have to go to a Cuban hospital.

You can get away from that in any port. Just by getting out of the port area. There are some really cool, out of the way places in many of the islands if you strike out and explore. clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Oh I agree and we most certainly do that. Immediate port areas in the Caribbean by and large are just awful. We tend to DYI or book independent tours that allow us to see what we want. Seems oftentimes when some lament a particular port as bad, they are basing that view on the immediate port area.

I would rather mow my lawn. Right now the majority of money spent goes to the government based on the way they use exchange rates and do not allow you to use dollars.

When and if they make changes I might think about it, but then again i did spend a year in GTMO back in 1980.

P.S. will not go to Russia either.

Go right ahead and mow your lawn. I've been to Cuba four times - 1948 as a twelve year old, 1957 when working the Cuba desk at Langley and on a RCCL ship last September and this April. Love it there and FYI US dollars are accepted almost everywhere in Havana.

For regular US citizens travel to Cuba is still prohibited according to the US Department of State - Bureau or Consular Affairs.

If memory serves me correctly travel and economic restrictions were put into place by Congress so they are the only ones who can lift them.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Cuba.html

TOURIST VISA REQUIRED:

Tourist travel to Cuba remains prohibited. You must obtain a license from the Department of Treasury or your travel must fall into one of 12 categories of authorized travel.

Entry, Exit and Visa Requirements

Travel to Cuba is regulated by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. Anyone located in the United States, regardless of citizenship and nationality, must comply with these regulations. Individuals seeking to travel to Cuba are not required to obtain licenses from OFAC if their travel is covered by a general license. If travel is not covered by a general license, you must seek OFAC authorization in the form of a specific license. Travelers who fail to comply with regulations may face penalties and criminal prosecution. See the Department of Treasury webpage. (emphasis mine)

And the cruiseline excursions are covered as "People to People". If you choose to do your own thing, you can still qualify under People to People, but you have to keep all your own records of what you did and what you paid and prove that you had authentic People to People interactions.

Pardon my ignorance but is paying for Visa necessary if you do not get off ship? I love cruising but don't have any interest in getting off in Cuba.

Why would you book a cruise to Cuba if you have no intention to get off the ship? You are paying roughly double just go stop in Havana.

But, yes, you pay for the Visa when you board the ship. I'm not sure how they would react if you said you were not getting off.

Pardon my ignorance but is paying for Visa necessary if you do not get off ship? I love cruising but don't have any interest in getting off in Cuba.

I am not sure. We were given the visa when checking-in to board the ship and the $75 fee was later charged to our seapass accounts. The visa was collected by Cuba Immigration when we got off the ship. If you really don't want to get off the ship in Cuba you shouldn't need a visa so you may be notify the cruise line and avoid the fee.

That said, we hate to see you fail to take advantage of the rare opportunity to visit a Caribbean port that doesn't yet have a Diamond's International.

I'm going twice this summer, so me. And the groups I'm going with. My dad and mother-in-law are more excited than me, I think.

FWIW, $75 is cheaper than my visa for China a few years ago. We're spoiled in the United States...most countries don't require a Visa with a US passport. Many people from other countries pay a nice fee to get a Visa to visit us.

We are snowbirds and cruise a lot from FL when there. Generally don't care where a ship goes and rarely get off anymore. Have seen what we want to see in Caribbean long ago. Really don't want to support Cuban government in any way.

My husband was born in Germany during the war. He refuses to go to any country that has Communist government. When and if, Cuba is not Communist we may go but not before then.

Honest question... I can completely understand someone not wanting to travel to a country with a Communist government, but how does being born in Germany during the war factor into the equation? :confused:

Edited by time4u2go