Cabins with direct access from cabin to Promenade Deck and reserved sun loungers

ElaineKeagy

I’ve seen several posts in the past but wasn’t sure what ships have this cabin option. I just learned from Retired Mustangs review these are available on the Maasdam.

Are there any other HAL ships with this cabin- style??

Anyone aware of any ships with this on other cruise lines?

Thanks in advance!!

Allyn-Elaine

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These are called "lanai" cabins. Look at itineries of each ship on the HAL site and if Lanai appears on it, the ship has it.

From their site:

"Some cruisers might be surprised to learn that Holland America extends this roomy cruise experience to the promenade deck on five of our ships: Amsterdam, Maasdam, Rotterdam, Veendam and Volendam with our Lanai staterooms."

I'm pretty sure they are now on all the remaining R & S class ships (Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, and Zaandam) but not on any of the newer ships.

Roy

I'm pretty sure they are now on all the remaining R & S class ships (Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, and Zaandam) but not on any of the newer ships.

Roy

I believe that Zaandam remains the exception on this list.

The lanai cabins strike me as unfortunate compromises between outside and verandah cabins. While it is good to be able to step directly out of your cabin, you have no privacy because you are just on your own dedicated portion of the promenade deck -- and passers-by often sit on your deck chairs.

At the same time, all the other passengers on the ship are being denied full use of the promenade deck: one of the particular attractions of HAL ships.

The Veendam and Rotterdam were the first two ships to have Lanai cabins installed. After that, when the Maasdam was done, fewer outside cabins were converted, leaving more outside cabins on Lower Promenade, and more loungers available for the rest of the passengers.

I believe succeeding ships also had the fewer Lanais as they were converted.

You might want to keep this in mind when choosing a ship. If you want a Lanai, you might want to choose a ship with more general seating out there, so people are less likely to sit on your chairs.

The Veendam and Rotterdam were the first two ships to have Lanai cabins installed. After that, when the Maasdam was done, fewer outside cabins were converted, leaving more outside cabins on Lower Promenade, and more loungers available for the rest of the passengers.

I believe succeeding ships also had the fewer Lanais as they were converted.

You might want to keep this in mind when choosing a ship. If you want a Lanai, you might want to choose a ship with more general seating out there, so people are less likely to sit on your chairs.

Since they come with a Reserved sign, I would think cruisers would be happy to vacate and move when the room occupant turned up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were a 35 day cruise on the Veendam in a Lanai cabin a loved it. Sure it was a bit smaller but still big enough to sleep and change, why do you need a large room when you have the entire ship as your house. Never had a problem with deck chairs as "ALL" the chairs are not reserved for Lanai rooms, 2 per room but still left many chairs open for anyone. Nice to step out on the deck and go fore or aft with ease.

The lanai cabins strike me as unfortunate compromises between outside and verandah cabins. While it is good to be able to step directly out of your cabin, you have no privacy because you are just on your own dedicated portion of the promenade deck -- and passers-by often sit on your deck chairs.

At the same time, all the other passengers on the ship are being denied full use of the promenade deck: one of the particular attractions of HAL ships.

We didn't have any problem with anyone using our deck chairs (actually, we saw that relatively few of those in lanais used them very often, if at all). Each chair for a lanai had a blue cover over the top of chair back with "Reserved" embroidered on it in in large white letters. We really appreciated being able to step out onto deck and see almost 180 degrees side-to-side. We liked sitting on our chairs and talking to folks who walked by. I'm not sure what "full use of the [lower] promenade deck": we saw mainly walkers, and there was no crowding or other indication that anyone was discommoded because of the deck chairs taking up some of the deck space.

My wife and I were on Maasdam on a 20-day repositioning move through the Panama Canal this April and May, and thoroughly enjoyed our lanai cabin (we first discovered them on Volendam in Alaska last year). The glass is heavily mirrored, and gives you privacy during the day, but not so much so at night.

The cabin is snug, and we liked having the loveseat and desk near the door to the deck (which, I think, is only available on non-suite cabins on the two newest ships). The door and mechanisms take up about a foot (the Volendam's were newer, and seemed to use about half the space, and, overall, that cabin seemed a bit larger by maybe a foot or two).

One caution: it takes a fair amount of strength to open the door and keep it open while going through (I'm 6' and my wife is 5'11). It closes with real authority, so don't leave your hand on the door frame or you'll end up unhappy, and probably in the onboard medical center.

We'll do it again, given the right itinerary and price.

While they do provide the lanai cabins with loungers, they are in the shade and shouldn't be considered "sun loungers" as the thread title suggests.

You are correct but depending on the direction of the ship the sun does shine there. We have had a lanai twice and enjoyed them, we never saw anyone using them as a sun lounger. Yes, you do loose some space in the cabin. Glad we have so many choices of cabins when we book our cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums