Bermuda Advice

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time that we are going to Bermuda. What are some must-do things? I would like a tour and some beach time. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am up to both cruise and independent excursions and ideas!

Thanks in advance!!:)

We loved Horseshoe Bay. So easy to get to from just outside the ship. A beautiful bay with awesome snorkelling, and a small beach bar with a reasonable choice of foods and drink. Loved it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time that we are going to Bermuda. What are some must-do things? I would like a tour and some beach time. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am up to both cruise and independent excursions and ideas!

Thanks in advance!!:)

Winsome Tours is great; take the ferries to both Hamilton and St. Georges. I take the ship's excursion to Horseshoe Bay on the last day: no worry about walking up the step hill to the bus stop, no worry about being passed by due to overcrowded public buses, allows for a walk around the Dockyards for last minute shopping or relaxing with a drink. As I've been to Bermuda seven times, I sometimes like riding the various bus routes for different views of the islands. Remember: This is not a shopping mecca like the Caribbean, food and drink off board ship is expensive. Citizens are lovely.:cool:

A MUST? Horseshoe Bay, Hamilton, Georgetown.....endless places to visit and explore

My DH and I have visited Bermuda thirteen times in the past thirty- four years.

It is St George’s, not Georgetown.

Before the very large cruise ships were built, ships used to dock at St George’s for a day or two,then the ships would sail over to Hamilton to dock for a day or two before returning to the home port.

When the ships became larger, the Dockyards were developed to include King’s Wharf to accommodate the mega ships.

You can get ferries from the Dockyards to Hamilton and St George’s . There are also public busses to St George’s ,but you may need to transfer in Hamilton to get there. St George’s is focused on history,but there are shops and restaurants also. We think it has become quieter since the cruise ships no longer dock there. The people are welcoming and appreciate tourists to discover St George’s.

Horseshoe Bay is a beautiful beach. You can get a bus or cab from the pier to get to this beach. It is not within walking distance of the pier. Another beautiful beach is Elbow Beach. The Elbow Beach Hotel has limited day passes to enjoy the beach, pool and the resort amenities. Neighboring The Reefs Hotel may also have day passes so that you can enjoy Elbow Beach from that location.

If you are interested in playing golf there are several fine courses in Bermuda.

The Fairmont Southampton PrincessHotel ( the tall pink building) has a par three golf course, Turtle Hill.

While it is par three, it is challenging and can be played in an amount of time that would allow enjoyment of other activities during the day.

For a romantic dinner, I would suggest the Waterlot which is near to the Fairmont Southampton Princess Hotel.

You can also enjoy a cocktail and sunset on the deck of the restaurant even if you choose not to dine there.

As for renting mopeds, I suggest using caution.

The roads in Bermuda are narrow and winding with driving on the opposite side from that in the US.

Some roads are bordered by high limestone walls which do not provide a shoulder for the road.

I experienced a moped accident while on our honeymoon. The hospital care was excellent. While we had to deal with dressings and bandages for the remainder of our stay, we managed to enjoy Bermuda so much that we have considered it a second home.

It is a lovely place.

I hope you enjoy your cruise and visit to Bermuda.

I have to caution against the mopeds too! I grew up on the island and have friends that still live there. My parents took a cruise to Bermuda a couple of years ago and even they refused to rent a moped. It is just too dangerous. And they used scooters the whole time we lived there.

The bus system is great and pretty simple. If the poll is pink - you're going to end up in town (Hamilton). If it is blue - you are headed away from town (be in St. George's, Dockyards or somewhere else).

For the beach - visit a South shore one - such as Horseshoe or Elbow.

The aquarium is pretty awesome. You could easily combine it with a tour of either the Crystal or Fantasy Caves (the inspiration for Fraggle Rock). We've also taken an interesting ghost tour in St. George's - http://www.hauntedhistorybda.com/.

There are also numerous options for glass bottom boat tours and snorkelling. We also had a blast doing the Helmet Diving - http://www.hartleybermuda.com/wp/

We always stay on the island - either renting a cottage or staying at the Fairmont Princess. The cruises are never long enough to get in all our visiting. :) We have gone on the same tours as cruise shippers (at the same time) and usually for half the price. Just something to consider.

We were unable to do a lot because of damage and closures due to a hurricane that unexpectedly hit the island while were just about there. And then our second trip back was rerouted because of a hurricane too. That didn't stop us from falling in love with Bermuda.

We loved the sea glass beach, walking around Hamilton and taking a bus ride around the island. We also enjoyed the Fun Golf mini golf late one evening. We had planned to do the crystal caves and zoo and to go up to St. Georges, but could not. We did get a two or three day bus/ferry pass. Well worth the cost because we just hopped on and off. We got on the bus close to rush hour so it was a long ride, but we got to see a lot just driving around. The island is stunning and the locals are wonderful. We had drinks at the mini golf bar, but did not eat out during our stay as we didn't make time for it.

Bermuda is a place where you can do a lot or do very little and still be able to enjoy the charm. We cannot wait to be able to go back. We often talk about how much we miss it. It is my favorite place I have been too.

I don't know how much time until your visit, if you go to the website "gotobermuda.com" there is a ton of information and they have brochures and a great map that they will mail to you or you can download them. The map is a really nice pocket size laminated one that is great for carrying around with you. Also go to trip advisors Bermuda travel forum and ask questions and locals will answer them and give you lots of advise.

In addition to all of the wonderful suggestions already provided, I highly recommend the rum factory and glass blowing. They are in the same building at the Dockyard. The rum cakes are phenomenal, and visitors who are at least 21 years old can sample and purchase them. The cakes are permitted to be taken back on the ship to enjoy and/or to take home as gifts.

The glass blowing is fascinating to watch. You can watch pieces being made from start to finish, and there is a gift shop (albeit expensive) with a great selection of hand-blown items.

Also, if you visit a liquor store, you will notice there are two prices on each bottle, one price (lower) for cruisers and one price for people staying on the island. After you pay for your alcohol, it will be conveniently delivered to the ship.

Bermuda is lovely! Enjoy!

The scooters are an ideal way to get around...your schedule, you decide where and when you go/arrive/and leave...tour the island, hit private beaches, bars, outposts...we stayed overnight, so 2 days and parked our scooter at the boat, walked on the ship, and next am, back out and onto the scooter we went...you have to be careful absolutely when driving around but no different than any other place or port.