Are there really no outlets in the Bathrooms??

Maya1234

Not correct. If it was safety, then every bathroom built in the last 20+ years is unsafe. It's about cost and the cheapest way to build a bathroom. That's cheapness.

So those who expect to be able to use a blow dryer, straightener, etc in a bathroom are unreasonable? I don't appreciate being called unreasonable.

Incorrect

In most smart countries you won’t see any non-shaver outlets nor would you have a light switch inside a bathroom. Ever noticed that?

This isn't fake news - even using a cellphone with a charger inside a bathroom can be dangerous.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/health/teen-bathtub-electrocuted-text-trnd/index.html

Accidents happen ... (resulting in deaths) With a 220 volts hair dryver, it can happen very, very quickly even if somebody else is nearby but unaware.

We all have one life to live, so.

Not correct. If it was safety, then every bathroom built in the last 20+ years is unsafe. It's about cost and the cheapest way to build a bathroom. That's cheapness.

So those who expect to be able to use a blow dryer, straightener, etc in a bathroom are unreasonable? I don't appreciate being called unreasonable.

Electrical power on a ship is delivered differently than on land because the ships hull is surrounded by sea water. On shore, in the United States electrical power is delivered to your home via a three wire cable. Each of the two main conductors (the insulated ones) carry either 110 volts (east coast) or 120 volts (west coast) and the third non insulated conductor is a neutral. The two "live legs" are 180 degrees out of phase so if you use a 220 to 240 volt device in your home you must connect to a circuit that been connected to two of the live legs and if you are 110 to 120 volt device, the circuit is connected to only one of the legs and the neutral. Ships cannot use the same configuration because the only ground available would be the ship's hull and if you used that you would create a safety hazard and electrolysis with the sea water would destroy the ships hull very rapidly. So.....on board a ship they generate the cabin power with two 50 to 60 volt legs and wire each outlet to both legs producing the usable power in your room. Since this power is ungrounded you cannot utilize a GFI (ground fault interrupter). Under current law in the United States you cannot put a plug in a bathroom area without connecting via a GFI.

Electrical power on a ship is delivered differently than on land because the ships hull is surrounded by sea water. On shore, in the United States electrical power is delivered to your home via a three wire cable. Each of the two main conductors (the insulated ones) carry either 110 volts (east coast) or 120 volts (west coast) and the third non insulated conductor is a neutral. The two "live legs" are 180 degrees out of phase so if you use a 220 to 240 volt device in your home you must connect to a circuit that been connected to two of the live legs and if you are 110 to 120 volt device, the circuit is connected to only one of the legs and the neutral. Ships cannot use the same configuration because the only ground available would be the ship's hull and if you used that you would create a safety hazard and electrolysis with the sea water would destroy the ships hull very rapidly. So.....on board a ship they generate the cabin power with two 50 to 60 volt legs and wire each outlet to both legs producing the usable power in your room. Since this power is ungrounded you cannot utilize a GFI (ground fault interrupter). Under current law in the United States you cannot put a plug in a bathroom area without connecting via a GFI.

This is not correct. Ship's electrical systems are grounded for safety, just like on land. The difference is that we do not connect the "neutral" leg to ground like they do in houses (the white and bare/green ground wires are connected together in the breaker box. This means that you can have voltages (only a volt or two) above the potential of the earth (which is the actual ground) due to stray current between the neutral and ground. We don't want this stray current, so we separate the "neutral" and ground. We monitor the current flowing between the power conductors and ground using an ammeter and a high resistance, and when the current gets too high, an alarm goes off and the engineers will hunt down the source of the problem (motor with insulation failure, bad connection somewhere, or a external light fixture full of water) and correct it. As you say, current in the hull will cause electrolysis.

To say that the hull being a ground would be a safety problem is incorrect. If the hull is at ground potential, there is no danger from potential current, unless all the other paths to ground are worse conductors than you.

Ship's power is not "ungrounded", it has a "floating ground", meaning that ground potential is not the same as either power conductor.

Also, it is incorrect to say that you cannot use a GFCI without a ground. The GFCI does not use the ground to detect anything, or to shunt power to ground. The GFCI only compares the current flow in the two power wires, and if there is a preset difference in current between the two wires, it means power is flowing somewhere else, either to the ground wire, or to you holding the hair dryer. The GFCI circuit breaker then opens. GFCI's are an approved safety device for houses with older wiring that did not have a ground wire.

In most smart countries you won’t see any non-shaver outlets nor would you have a light switch inside a bathroom. Ever noticed that?

First you called me unreasonable, now you are calling the entire country in which I live (the US) something other than smart. STOP with the insults. Your insulting comments add nothing to the value of CC.

First you called me unreasonable, now you are calling the entire country in which I live (the US) something other than smart. STOP with the insults. Your insulting comments add nothing to the value of CC.

No insult intended. Whilst you may believe that the US-way is the only-way, it is not. It is a statement of fact that many places would NOT consider putting either an electric outlet nor a switch in a room with water and high humidity. And cruise lines do NOT put non-shaver electrical outlets nor light switches in their bathrooms. Just like most places do not use feet/miles as a measure of distance (vs. kilometers), nor do they use gallons as a measure of volume (vs. liters). I believe that you even buy 2 liter bottles of soda in America.

There is no basis for the repeated assertions that the lack of electrical outlets is the cruise line being "cheap". It is a matter of safety.

The key words are "new" and "last 20 years". Many of us live in older homes, mine is 200 years old, and the only time wiring needs to be updated to present day electrical code is if a contractor is remodeling. When I bought the house 36 years ago, it still had "tube and knob" wiring (google it if you don't know old houses), and no GFCI's anywhere. Today, I have rewired the entire house, up to current code. But that is my choice, and it wasn't required.

Tube & nob ... is that glass tubes or fuses?

Ugh. That's horrible ! I often flat iron while hubby is sleeping. What a terrible set up!!!

Is this your first cruise? Because this isn't only NCL. And the outlet says ON IT ... 'Razors Only'.

I agree ... au naturale ... wash and wear. It's a cruise vacation and be free and happy.

Tube & nob ... is that glass tubes or fuses?

No. Much as I hate to cite Wikipedia, here is a link to tube and knob wiring.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob-and-tube_wiring

In the first picture on the right, you see the wiring. You see that there is no wiring "cable" containing the two current carrying wires, each wire is run separately, each attached to a different stud to provide separation. The "knob" is the porcelain knob nailed into the stud that supports the wire. The "tube is a porcelain tube the wire runs through when the wire has to go through a wood framing member. The only time the two wires come together is at an outlet, and even then there were no "boxes, just the outlet screwed to the wall and the wires joined to it in the back. Branches were not made in boxes either, you simply scraped off the insulation on the wire, wrapped the new branch wire around the conductor, soldered it together, and wrapped it in insulating tape.

No insult intended. Whilst you may believe that the US-way is the only-way, it is not. It is a statement of fact that many places would NOT consider putting either an electric outlet nor a switch in a room with water and high humidity. And cruise lines do NOT put non-shaver electrical outlets nor light switches in their bathrooms. Just like most places do not use feet/miles as a measure of distance (vs. kilometers), nor do they use gallons as a measure of volume (vs. liters). I believe that you even buy 2 liter bottles of soda in America.

There is no basis for the repeated assertions that the lack of electrical outlets is the cruise line being "cheap". It is a matter of safety.

As a UK resident I always find it surprising that there are electrical points in U.S. bathrooms. In ours we may have a shaver point and/or a pull cord ceiling mounted switch for an electric shower. Switches and sockets are outside.

But then we also have gallons (proper gallons [emoji6]) and miles ...... and litres and kg as well ...[emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Someone reported that their Bliss Haven bathroom had NO electrical outlets. Is this true? I’ve never stayed in a hotel anywhere no matter how cheap that didn’t provide a bathroom outlet.

There is only 1 outlet in the bathrooms. It is for electric razors only and this has not one thing to do with cheap: it is a safety feature. There will be one or two in the main cabin area which should be fine for most of us. I have never seen the reason for more than one or two. For us gals, we can use the cabin outlet for our curling iron. That is what I do. Usually the outlet is situated so you can see in a mirror what you are doing. This works for the hair dryer as well. The only other thing to plug in, might be an electric tooth brush. We just bring the cheap battery operated ones on our cruises.

As most others have said, this has nothing to do with being cheap and isn't just NCL, it is all cruise lines or certainly all mass marketed lines. I can't speak for the luxury line, but am guessing they follow the same policy. We have been in many foreign countries and have never seen electric outlets except for razor use in any hotel bathrooms. I don't see the big deal. Life is full of adjustments, we all have to make them.

Edited by newmexicoNita

No insult intended. Whilst you may believe that the US-way is the only-way, it is not.
I never said or implied anything of the sort. Unlike you, I never said anything disparaging about other ways of doing things.

It is a statement of fact that many places would NOT consider putting either an electric outlet nor a switch in a room with water and high humidity.
And it is a statement of fact that many places would. So what is your point with that statement?

Sure there is. If a GFCI plug were less expensive than the plugs they have chosen to install, do you think they would have installed the GFCI? I contend they would install the GFCI if it were a less expensive option. I contend that both the "shaver outlet" and the GFCI are equally safe options and the cruise industry chose the less expensive option.

They could put a bigger outlet in the bathroom, they choose not to because of expense.

I never said or implied anything of the sort. Unlike you, I never said anything disparaging about other ways of doing things.

And it is a statement of fact that many places would. So what is your point with that statement?

Sure there is. If a GFCI plug were less expensive than the plugs they have chosen to install, do you think they would have installed the GFCI? I contend they would install the GFCI if it were a less expensive option. I contend that both the "shaver outlet" and the GFCI are equally safe options and the cruise industry chose the less expensive option.

They could put a bigger outlet in the bathroom, they choose not to because of expense.

have to wonder, have you ever cruised before? If you have, please tell us which ship lines have more than the one outlet in the bathrooms? What about this do you not understand. For me, I would rather be safe than sorry, and why do you need an extra outlet in the bathroom anyway? There are other places to dry your or curl or even straighten your hair..I think you need to chill out about this and realize safety is first, even over budget.

As a UK resident I always find it surprising that there are electrical points in U.S. bathrooms. In ours we may have a shaver point and/or a pull cord ceiling mounted switch for an electric shower. Switches and sockets are outside.

But then we also have gallons (proper gallons [emoji6]) and miles ...... and litres and kg as well ...[emoji848]

My house here in Spain has the light switch and a regular power socket in the bathroom ( 1 foot from the sink ! ) as do all the other houses I’ve been in , in fact I’ve never seen a shaver only socket in any bathrooms here except in hotels .

have to wonder, have you ever cruised before? If you have, please tell us which ship lines have more than the one outlet in the bathrooms? What about this do you not understand. For me, I would rather be safe than sorry, and why do you need an extra outlet in the bathroom anyway? There are other places to dry your or curl or even straighten your hair..I think you need to chill out about this and realize safety is first, even over budget.

Maybe I'll try and help here further too and clarify my earlier post about 'EU legislation' driving the design of bathrooms; not cost.

IT'S THE prevailing LAW! (With which the shipbuilder has chosen to comply).

There are differing safety standards in different parts of the world, and as every traveler knows, different voltages and frequencies of power also. Having 220 / 240v as your source of power instead of the 110 / 120v is one difference that I can see that might make the regulators see things differently. Voltage doesn't kill but it is related to the killer, "current", which is twice as much on a 240v circuit that decides to find it's way to ground through your body via your curling iron. Having been shocked by both in the work place, my opinion is that a shock from a 220v / 240v circuit is worse than one from 110v / 120v. They guy blown off a ladder by 460v I knew said it was a completely different experience. I'm sure there are people who are experts that will now tell me that I'm wrong, and there is no difference between 120v and 240v. But they sure seemed different to me!

There are differing safety standards in different parts of the world, and as every traveler knows, different voltages and frequencies of power also. Having 220 / 240v as your source of power instead of the 110 / 120v is one difference that I can see that might make the regulators see things differently. Voltage doesn't kill but it is related to the killer, "current", which is twice as much on a 240v circuit that decides to find it's way to ground through your body via your curling iron. Having been shocked by both in the work place, my opinion is that a shock from a 220v / 240v circuit is worse than one from 110v / 120v. They guy blown off a ladder by 460v I knew said it was a completely different experience. I'm sure there are people who are experts that will now tell me that I'm wrong, and there is no difference between 120v and 240v. But they sure seemed different to me!
I'm afraid you've got your electrical current arithmetic wrong. It's double on a 110v circuit than on a 220v.

Current = power divided by voltage

So the same appliance will draw more current for It's given power output with a lower voltage. Assuming it can work at both voltages of course.

My house here in Spain has the light switch and a regular power socket in the bathroom ( 1 foot from the sink ! ) as do all the other houses I’ve been in , in fact I’ve never seen a shaver only socket in any bathrooms here except in hotels .

Here in America we too have outlets in our bathroom/ We have a double sink bathroom with double outlets at both sinks, but that is very different from our older homes or cruise ships. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid you've got your electrical current arithmetic wrong. It's double on a 110v circuit than on a 220v.

So the same appliance will draw more current for It's given power output with a lower voltage. Assuming it can work at both voltages of course.

Yeah, I knew this would happen. Evidently, my body is not an appliance rated for electricity, so I'm not really sure about the amperage. I can just tell you the shock from 240v was significantly worse than the ones from 120v. Significantly.

Yeah, I knew this would happen. Evidently, my body is not an appliance rated for electricity, so I'm not really sure about the amperage. I can just tell you the shock from 240v was significantly worse than the ones from 120v. Significantly.
The best idea is probably not to get a shock from either!

Yep, this is correct.

And as one who has also been "nailed" by 120, 240, and 480 volts ac, as well as 20,000 volts dc (got a hold on a faulty ignition wire), I can say that the "shock" is greater the higher the voltage, but this is because your body is not a fixed resistance like a hair dryer drawing more current at lower voltages. At higher voltages, your body's resistance breaks down to provide an easier path to ground, so higher current.