MSC Seaside shows- still a lot of opera?

big al

BTW, you will find my detailed photo review here. The text is in German but google translate helps if you want to read the text. You will find photos of the shows of each night too. "Butterflies" was not a full opera but sort of a summary of the opera telling the whole story and featuring the major songs. Anyway that was the show the most people left early. All other shows were the usualy mix of singing and acrobats.

You will also find detailled photos of our balcony cabin. You won´t find any food photos of the Main Dining Room as we´ve never been there. We had the Dinner Trio package and were invited to use the Yacht Club facilities.

steamboats

I recently watched a video on YouTube from a well known cruiser known as "Jim Zimm"..he has done 44 cruises and had the Seaside at the bottom of the list..his biggest complaint was the entertainment. He said on 4-5 nights alone the shows were operatic in nature, and he said "this ship was suppose to be their American market ship- doesn't MSC know Americans don't like opera? We like rock n' roll, pop, country, etc.."..I know this would bore me to death! I, too, don't like opera..I'm a 60's 70's music guy all the way..he also said the comedy shows were terrible..also said the pools were ALL very deep, and therefore you would see people hanging on for dear life on the sides of the pool, and asked why can't MSC build pools were you can walk back & forth for some of the pool and then it gradually gets deeper in the back? This makes sense to me and with a wife who is 4' 11" and doesn't swim, these pools are not an option for her.. also said the buffet was the worst he had ever seen on 44 cruises..said the food was very similar every day with few choices that were different, unlike the buffet on the new NCL Bliss...

Big Al

I was excited to find Jim Zimm's reviews at first as we are booked in a similar stateroom in Feb 19 on Seaside. However, the more I watched and then received notifications from his Youtube channel, the more I realised that Jim was merely driving views to his channel and sensationalising the negatives on Seaside was one way to do this as well as his fawning approval of Royal Caribbean. His argument about what constitutes a proper pizza was hilarious. Overall, Jim promotes himself as quintessentially American and seems to revel in his closed mindedness. Great production values though and a voice for commentary if ever I heard one.

Ken

PS: I too like rock n'roll, fries, burgers and a little bit of opera. It seems to me that MSC has transplanted its approach to entertainment to the Caribbean. I think I will find that a little boring after 5 cruises with them. Deep pools is a terrible mistake. Pizza is not cuisine, it's just an open sandwich, IMHO! ;)

PPS: I just spent two weeks in France in a mobile home where I could barely get into the shower and had to open the door to bend down to reach my feet etc and that was one of our best ever holidays! I don't care if the shower splashes the floor, not my floor!

My family of 5 adults sailed on the Seaside in May - 4 Americans and me of European descent, and all but one well traveled. We all like things to be a certain way, but we embraced the ambiance of a more European focused cruise line and were interested in taking a cruise that was not "mainstream American focused". If you don't embrace other cultures, you will not appreciate what Seaside has to offer, good and bad.

There was no opera show. We were all very disappointed as we had been looking forward to it.

The shows were not our favorites, because we couldn't follow any story. We like Broadway style. For my family, Disney is tops in regards to shows. But, if the shows had just been labeled as "variety", that would have helped. Living in America, I have grown to like getting what I am presented with, not a version of something somewhat similar to what I am expecting.

That said, the entertainment was amazing, when broken up into individual parts. Sure, maybe we don't appreciate seeing the black singer in a white ****-style outfit singing a suggestive song while moving around the scantily clad pole dancer, but wow, that pole dancer was fantastically talented! American midwestern sensibilities do invade the overall enjoyment occasionally, but on the other hand, the shows were much more family friendly than what we have seen on Carnival.

The singers had voices so filled with feelings, that even when they sang in Italian or French, I could be brought to tears over the emotions in their voices. Still would've like to see the opera though.

The food, while good, was not always presented as written. But, it was good. Sometimes very, very good. Occasionally it was not to my liking, but I can be picky. The meat lovers of the family were always happy. We all really appreciated that the food had a different, more European/Italian influence on MSC than what we have had on other cruise lines. We appreciated the differences.

MSC is not going to be a winning cruise line for people that are not comfortable stepping out of their comfort zone. Sure, there were times on our MSC cruises that we have not liked (the lifeboat drill, for one, is chaotic beyond belief and unorganized to the point of disturbing - Disney truly is the best at lifeboat drills) but overall, the different experience is what drew my family to MSC, and if you can embrace the idea of sailing on something that isn't the same atmosphere as the more American focused lines, then I am sure you will enjoy yourself on an MSC cruise.

My family of 5 adults sailed on the Seaside in May - 4 Americans and me of European descent, and all but one well traveled. We all like things to be a certain way, but we embraced the ambiance of a more European focused cruise line and were interested in taking a cruise that was not "mainstream American focused". If you don't embrace other cultures, you will not appreciate what Seaside has to offer, good and bad.

There was no opera show. We were all very disappointed as we had been looking forward to it.

The shows were not our favorites, because we couldn't follow any story. We like Broadway style. For my family, Disney is tops in regards to shows. But, if the shows had just been labeled as "variety", that would have helped. Living in America, I have grown to like getting what I am presented with, not a version of something somewhat similar to what I am expecting.

That said, the entertainment was amazing, when broken up into individual parts. Sure, maybe we don't appreciate seeing the black singer in a white ****-style outfit singing a suggestive song while moving around the scantily clad pole dancer, but wow, that pole dancer was fantastically talented! American midwestern sensibilities do invade the overall enjoyment occasionally, but on the other hand, the shows were much more family friendly than what we have seen on Carnival.

The singers had voices so filled with feelings, that even when they sang in Italian or French, I could be brought to tears over the emotions in their voices. Still would've like to see the opera though.

The food, while good, was not always presented as written. But, it was good. Sometimes very, very good. Occasionally it was not to my liking, but I can be picky. The meat lovers of the family were always happy. We all really appreciated that the food had a different, more European/Italian influence on MSC than what we have had on other cruise lines. We appreciated the differences.

MSC is not going to be a winning cruise line for people that are not comfortable stepping out of their comfort zone. Sure, there were times on our MSC cruises that we have not liked (the lifeboat drill, for one, is chaotic beyond belief and unorganized to the point of disturbing - Disney truly is the best at lifeboat drills) but overall, the different experience is what drew my family to MSC, and if you can embrace the idea of sailing on something that isn't the same atmosphere as the more American focused lines, then I am sure you will enjoy yourself on an MSC cruise.

Good info...I too, am a big fan of Disney, and their shows, along with Royal Caribbean & NCL, are BY FAR tops that I've seen..I have yet cruised MSC, but want to..however a dozen friends or so, sailed The Divina, liked it alot, but agreed too many acrobats, jugglers, etc ., on stage..and all said RCI & NCL had better entertainment, BUT like I say, food, service & entertainment are all subjective...It seems MSC read the complaints about opera & classical music and made some changes..those of you who like opera/ classical music, you are in the minority, which is fine...Princess, HAL & Celebrity may have more choices in those areas, but Americans, in general, prefer rock n' roll, country, pop , oldies ( 60's 70's, 80's), etc...just stating MHO...

Another who says to take Jim Zimms review with a pinch of salt...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At least Jimm was on MSC cruise , there is other guy on YouTube- Don , he never been on MSC cruise but he has his opinion on it, :rolleyes:as a matter of fact I don't think he ever been on any cruise, but lots of "professional " videos. Sad part people listen to this bull

At least Jimm was on MSC cruise , there is other guy on YouTube- Don , he never been on MSC cruise but he has his opinion on it, :rolleyes:as a matter of fact I don't think he ever been on any cruise, but lots of "professional " videos. Sad part people listen to this bull

Yes that is sad ...There is enough media from so many outlets out there to research enough to make sure you have every chance of enjoying your cruise vacation which ever line you select.

Years ago there were no such options, merely word of mouth ...And look what a mess that would be today!

I'm not sure there is a 100% perfect cruise provider and why would there be as nothing else in life is truly so, but if you do your research well, have an open mind and some vacation spirit you will be OK in general and certainly with MSC it seems.

Instead of doing a full opera, like Madame Butterfly, I would enjoy a medley of opera tunes. Much like a "Salute to Broadway", some of the more well-known opera tunes. I would like that... Nessun Dorma, I love that song!

Exact that is what they are doing, they never did a full opera. Only medley of popular "highlights", chance for Nessun Dorma is quite high ;)

Our Jan Seaside sailing had alot ot opera (late show at 10:30) and the wonderful show "Butterflies" short version of Madame Butterfly with subtitles. Really enjoyed it. On our April Seaside sailing, no late opera show, no butterflies, and less during evening shows too.

We loved all the entertainment onboard. Beautiful pageantry, great entertainers, unbelievable talent

Safe sailing

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Bonny ... The travel agent likely did not get a fee from booking Costa! Have sailed only once with them on Deliziosa over Xmas some years back, very big Outside cabin, food was mainly good though the buffet was closed between 4 and 5 pm.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Been on Norwegian, Celebrity, HA, Princess, RC etc.

I think the buffets always close for at least an hour between lunch and dinners. Usually 3:30-5:00. And they usually shut down full service after about 10-10:30 PM. Usually they let breakfast service run into lunch.

Frankly, there is almost always something available 24 hours. Maybe just stale cookies at 4:00 AM and a stale sandwich at 2:00 AM, but really?