Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

A RESCUE is a different story. If there was a search to save someone's life of course as many people as possible should be watching, scanning & searching!

But the RETRIEVAL of a dead body is completely different. I honestly would try and imagine the parents and family of the deceased person were present and act accordingly (i.e. I would excuse myself in respect.)

We did not think that she was alive since people do not normally survive. But I was still sending out positive thoughts hoping it was going to be ok. My point was though that there was no disrespect or anything negative meant by watching.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Captain just woke everyone up. Says that the now estimate arrival at 13:00 today.

Please forgive the question. I don't mean to be insensitive. I thought on NCL ships, you couldn't hear announcements inside your cabin? I'm on the Sun later and I thought I remember a discussion about this?

Sorry to hear that the search has been called off. :(

Please forgive the question. I don't mean to be insensitive. I thought on NCL ships, you couldn't hear announcements inside your cabin? I'm on the Sun later and I thought I remember a discussion about this?

Sorry to hear that the search has been called off. :(

It all depends on what switch is thrown as to where the PA comes through.

Getaway is heading into port right now.

And to make things worse, as we are watching the Getaway pull into port from our room at the Hilton, it looks like a seaplane just landed and flipped over right in front of the cruise terminal. Looks like the Getaway is stopped in the mouth of the port. I truly wish I was kidding about this.

And to make things worse, as we are watching the Getaway pull into port from our room at the Hilton, it looks like a seaplane just landed and flipped over right in front of the cruise terminal. Looks like the Getaway is stopped in the mouth of the port. I truly wish I was kidding about this.

OMG that ship & sailing just can't catch a break!

We did not think that she was alive since people do not normally survive. But I was still sending out positive thoughts hoping it was going to be ok. My point was though that there was no disrespect or anything negative meant by watching.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll give folks the benefit of a doubt that no one intentionally meant to disrespect her, however I still cannot imagine why anyone would want to view the body being retrieved except for morbid curiosity. Perhaps I am overly sensitive, but I don't think I could view that scene and then just resume a "fun" vacation. If there was nothing I could do to assist, I would just say a prayer for the victim and then mind my own business.

https://www.local10.com/news/local/miami/coast-guard-searching-for-cruise-ship-worker-who-fell-overboard

So Bob, you tell the reporter that the captain announced the crewmember jumped, and now that you aren't receiving compensation, you think the cruiseline is trying to hide the fact that a suicide cost this? Buddy, the captain announced what happened, that's not hiding anything.

I hope Bob doesn't post on this forum. Bob sucks.

"Bob Shellenberger, a passenger, told Local 10 that the ship will have its arrival delayed until 3 p.m. Sunday.

Shellenberger said the captain confirmed to the ship that the crew member jumped and didn't fall overboard.

Shellenberger said that the cruise director informed ship passengers that they won’t be offered compensation for the delay or reimbursement for missed flights.

"They clearly don't want it getting out that a crew member suicide is the cause of this, and the huge costs passengers are now going to have to pay to get their flights fixed," Shellenberger said."

It looks like the seaplane flipped further down the channel and the Getaway is docked already. I don’t think the seaplane incident will affect the Getaway.

It was headed down the channel to do a 180, guess that will have to wait

It was headed down the channel to do a 180, guess that will have to wait

I wonder what will happen next. The plane is floating there upside down and a pilot boat is circling around it. I hope the pilot was OK.

Those poor folks on the Getaway. They have got to be so frustrated. So near yet so far.

I buy insurance from Allianz as soon as I book any part of a trip and then amend it to add extra dates and/or money later, so that the total travel time and costs are covered....

Thank you for that information. I usually use points for my air so never get insurance option with that. I do add my hotel. I don’t think insurance will pay for my extended check out cost. But it’s ok. Thank you again. 😊

The captain made amazing time. Tragedies bring the best and worst out in people. Yes there are some that missed their flights but they will make it home safe. That's what is important. Its not the first time people have missed a flight in this world. The boarding passengers will only miss a few hours but can look forward to a spectacular sunset sail away from Miami. There is nothing to be compensated for so I don't know why some people bring it up everytime a ship sails a little late or gets to port a little late. If you missed the day all together then it would be subtracted from your bill. As crazy it would be to ask for compensation for a few hour delay would be just as crazy for NCL to bill the arriving passengers for more hours aboard the ship. A little patience will get everyone through the day.

Again, hats off to the captain. I know he cant drink but if anyone deserves a stiff drink its him!

Edit: OMG I saw online the ship is to depart Miami at 6 pm. That's incredible after all that has happened its sailing 2 hours late.

Edited by david_sobe

The captain made amazing time. Tragedies bring the best and worst out in people. Yes there are some that missed their flights but they will make it home safe. That's what is important. Its not the first time people have missed a flight in this world. The boarding passengers will only miss a few hours but can look forward to a spectacular sunset sail away from Miami. There is nothing to be compensated for so I don't know why some people bring it up everytime a ship sails a little late or gets to port a little late. If you missed the day all together then it would be subtracted from your bill. As crazy it would be to ask for compensation for a few hour delay would be just as crazy for NCL to bill the arriving passengers for more hours aboard the ship. A little patience will get everyone through the day.

Again, hats off to the captain. I know he cant drink but if anyone deserves a stiff drink its him!

Edit: OMG I saw online the ship is to depart Miami at 6 pm. That's incredible after all that has happened its sailing 2 hours late.

My girlfriend and her family are on todays sailing and NCL has given each person $30 OBC to make up for the delay in leaving today....it always amazes me when people feel they are entitled to compensation do to events outside of NCL control!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My girlfriend and her family are on todays sailing and NCL has given each person $30 OBC to make up for the delay in leaving today....it always amazes me when people feel they are entitled to compensation do to events outside of NCL control!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happens all the time!! Last year took auto train to Florida it was 12 hours late due to some yahoo on tracks in Georgia that train hit!! Did engine damage, so once cleared to leave, because there was an accident engineer has to be replaced, had to wait for that plus accident investigation, we limped to Sanford Fl, OMG you should have heard the passengers, yikes

it always amazes me when people feel they are entitled to compensation do to events outside of NCL control!

What about hurricanes? Those are out of NCL control. But if your cruise was cancelled or dates altered, you'd expect compensation.

What about hurricanes? Those are out of NCL control. But if your cruise was cancelled or dates altered, you'd expect compensation.

If cruise was canceled on part of NCL, they offer a different cruise or refund you, if port is changed well that's in contract and you are not getting anything except maybe on OBC. If port is canceled they refund port fees

People have threads on here about a cruise later this year that was canceled, also offering up to $400 for air compensation on that canceled cruise

Of course that would be compensated anytime the cruise is shortened. However the cruise contract states 7 nights and have a right to change course or itinerary. The ship could stay docked for 7 nights and no one is entitled to any compensation since 7 nights on the ship was delivered.

Cruise ships change course all the time. Some people are to get married at certain ports and a hurricane comes and the ship never gets to that port. Their entire wedding was ruined. I feel for those people but that is the chances you take on a cruise ship.

I am on vacation so I would not mind going to another port. IMHO every cruise port is a tourist trap. I cruise more for the ships. $30 OBC for every passenger is an amazing offer by NCL. Major kudos to them.

Its apples and oranges to compare a cruise being cancelled (air fare compensation) and a cruise arriving back in port 6 hours late. No comparison.

I would not because I buy good travel insurance, especially if I planned a cruise during hurricane season. The only time I would look at compensation was if something was under NCL's control, maybe.

I think it was nice they gave everyone coming on board today on the Getaway $30 OBC. Enjoy!!