Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

Exactly!!! This is not the fault of NCL, buy travel insurance and if a blip in your travel plans are going to hurt you financially like paying the change fee to an air carrier, and a hotel for the night, you can't afford a vacation to begin with.

One of the reasons I fly in day before cruise and fly out day after.

May this poor troubled soul R.I.P,

Here too I always plan ahead by staying the night before and or after. Not worth the aggravation if things go wrong. I have also taught my older daughter to do this when she goes on her European tours each year. The one time she didn’t listen to me there was a snowstorm starting in the early morning she left 11 a.m. and I was thinking what is this girl doing. If it were me I would have left the night before as this snow was talked about for days before it happened. I even asked her two times are you sure you don’t want to get a hotel night before. Anyway she and friend drove never made it due to closed roads, stuck cars, etc. and they were only minutes from where they needed to be. she was in a car for 18 hours for a 1.5 hour trip and had to turn around come back home. She walks in the door at 5 in the morning. She never got to stay in the cabin she paid for. The other couple she went with drove separately and left a little before my daughter did and some how they made it I don’t know how, it was a mess for days afterward too. It burned her up as she picked the cabin and other couple got to enjoy it. It was a valuable lesson for her that she will never forget the hell she went through.

Edited by Ginger9708

I'm currenrly waiting right behind someone to get on the phone with AA and change my flights. I get that they can't just open up free calling to all the rooms as that would overload the available satellite bandwidth. The airlines aren't making it easier and communication from Norwegian staff on the boat has been VERY inconsistent or just downright nonexistent (I've gotten way too many blank stares, it's as if they've never planned for such a thing as this). Up until now it's been a great experience, but despite the best efforts of the Frontline crew the management is doing a horrible job handling this and not communicating at all to crew or passengers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The perk of a TA and insurance is arriving at port, and the flight changes and travel plans are already taken care of. When nothing goes wrong both seem like a waste of money.

The perk of a TA and insurance is arriving at port, and the flight changes and travel plans are already taken care of. When nothing goes wrong both seem like a waste of money.

I have always planned the cruises myself and thank goodness never had to use travel insurance. But just curious in this kind of a situation, would you have contacted your TA and he/she would have handled the changes in flights etc for you? Instead of you trying to do it on the ship yourself?

I have always planned the cruises myself and thank goodness never had to use travel insurance. But just curious in this kind of a situation, would you have contacted your TA and he/she would have handled the changes in flights etc for you? Instead of you trying to do it on the ship yourself?

My TA or one of her associates would have gotten an alert of the ships delay, then they would pull a list of their clients on-board the ship and would have automatically contacted the airlines or make arrangements and then email me or text me the changes, along with the insurance claim forms with any receipts I need.

My TA or one of her associates would have gotten an alert of the ships delay, then they would pull a list of their clients on-board the ship and would have automatically contacted the airlines or make arrangements and then email me or text me the changes, along with the insurance claim forms with any receipts I need.

Thanks. I may have to let a TA plan my next cruise!

Interesting that on-board the NCL captain was confident to immediately rule it to be a voluntary jump, but now that the man has been found alive, the tone has certainly changed. :confused:

"It's still unclear what happened to the 33-year-old man when he fell into the ocean, wading for at least 22 hours before a Carnival Cruise Line vessel found him alive. But posts on his Facebook indicate he may have been troubled. Several crew members have speculated that Santiago jumped, but Norwegian has declined to comment on circumstances surrounding the incident."

Interesting that on-board the NCL captain was confident to immediately rule it to be a voluntary jump, but now that the man has been found alive, the tone has certainly changed. :confused:

"It's still unclear what happened to the 33-year-old man when he fell into the ocean, wading for at least 22 hours before a Carnival Cruise Line vessel found him alive. But posts on his Facebook indicate he may have been troubled. Several crew members have speculated that Santiago jumped, but Norwegian has declined to comment on circumstances surrounding the incident."

That is just the legal department taking the "no comment" means no possibility of stating something that may be wrong, or may be right. The Captain apparently made his comments in excess of what corporate legal would have told him to say.

That is just the legal department taking the "no comment" means no possibility of stating something that may be wrong, or may be right. The Captain apparently made his comments in excess of what corporate legal would have told him to say.

It’s just an odd and, quite frankly, unprofessional and insensitive thing for the Captain to say in the first place. Why does the average Joe passenger need to know whether or not the poor guy fell or jumped? It doesn’t affect the outcome or how the situation is handled whatsoever. If a passenger died in their cabin from, let’s say, erotic asphyxiation, would the captain make an announcement over the P.A. announcing cause of death? Of course not. No one needs to know that.

Really??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it is actually true. A very well educated, well trained crew took the ship there. Not God.

If God does all the work, why don't save tax money and close down the Coast Guard..?

Yes, it is actually true. A very well educated, well trained crew took the ship there. Not God.

If God does all the work, why don't save tax money and close down the Coast Guard..?

??????

Whatever. You try to have a blessed holiday!!

Oooops. Hope I didn’t offend you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s just an odd and, quite frankly, unprofessional and insensitive thing for the Captain to say in the first place. Why does the average Joe passenger need to know whether or not the poor guy fell or jumped? It doesn’t affect the outcome or how the situation is handled whatsoever. If a passenger died in their cabin from, let’s say, erotic asphyxiation, would the captain make an announcement over the P.A. announcing cause of death? Of course not. No one needs to know that.

I could see the value of knowing if it was accident or not. They might want to have new procedures in place depending on the scenario.

Anthony, what kind of update were you hoping to see? Doesnt seem like there is much new info.

Edited by zitsky

For those saying to have trip insurance......I always do, don't flame......anyway, do you think they would pay? Trip delay on most insurances have to be 6-12 hours delayed, they were only delayed by a few, right? Anyway, just curious to see.

I have to admit, I have cut it close a few times, but rarely. I am the one hanging around the airport for hours, haha. Well, I hope everyone got home safely.

For those saying to have trip insurance......I always do, don't flame......anyway, do you think they would pay? Trip delay on most insurances have to be 6-12 hours delayed, they were only delayed by a few, right? Anyway, just curious to see.

I have to admit, I have cut it close a few times, but rarely. I am the one hanging around the airport for hours, haha. Well, I hope everyone got home safely.

I haven't gone and looked at mine, but, I believe there is coverage for the case where one carrier delays causing you to miss the next one. That would be different from the trip delay part. I think. Now you have me thinking and I might just need to go dig out my policy. :)

I haven't gone and looked at mine, but, I believe there is coverage for the case where one carrier delays causing you to miss the next one. That would be different from the trip delay part. I think. Now you have me thinking and I might just need to go dig out my policy. :)

True, may qualify as trip interruption??

So, rather then speculate and causing confusion, let us know exactly what part of your policy may apply in these situations. And how much compensation is available on your policy.

This.

Insurance companies don't stay in business by paying out, especially on a deliberate act.

Trip interruption does not start until the trip actually starts. If the cruise is delayed, it has not yet been interrupted.

Our policies start when we walk out the door.

And the coverage ends when we return home.

We include ALL travel, not just a "cruise" portion.

GC

Our policies start when we walk out the door.

And the coverage ends when we return home.

We include ALL travel, not just a "cruise" portion.

GC

So do I. It still doesn’t fall under trip interruption, which covers you if you have to return home prior to the trip’s scheduled ending. Trip delay insurance often doesn’t kick in until 6 or more hours of consecutive delay (some policies may kick in as early as 3, some as late as 12). We also had no financial loss to claim (for those of us boarding); many of those disembarking likely did.

I was on this sailing. We prayed for the man who went overboard and we agreed wholeheartedly that we should have gone back to look for him.

Communication, however, was not good and the lack of communication made the last evening onboard very stressful. There was a 4 hour wait for a phone, 2 hour wait for a computer. There was talk that they'd open the wifi up so we could use personal computers, but I couldn't get mine to work the whole evening and then we heard the next morning that they decided not to open it up. Others had been told there would be a small fee, others were told it would be the regular price. One officer in the atrium area told us we wouldn't be able to use the phone that night and another said it was a 4 hour wait (which later proved to be true). It just seemed that in cases like this, the higher-ups were not organized. I felt bad that the front desk staff had to deal with it all and they were definitely overwhelmed and doing the best that they could, given the situation. We finally managed to change our flights and book a hotel and for 7 people, after waiting a couple of hours for a computer, it was well over $5000. Insurance or no, that's cash out of pocket that I'm sure would be difficult for some. Just something to think about it. I will certainly make it a point to have a good cushion in case we need it, because even with insurance, you need to front the money.

Here's the amazing thing. The morning of debarkation, we waited another 2 hours to use the phone (we used a computer the night before and had issues with 2 family members' points when booking) and called the airline back (the one where you pick your own seats...not sure if I can say the name). We spoke to a very helpful person and she put us on hold for a long time and came back and told us the points issue was fixed AND the airline would refund our money! They did NOT have to do that. So, kudos to them! We were shocked, to say the least. We stayed at the same hotel as we did before the cruise for a very fair price and had an amazing dinner at a local pub.

It was my first experience on NCL. I will eventually vlog about it.