Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

CBS news this morning showed a video of crew member as he FELL off the ship while sitting out with other crew members near a life boat area. This crew member was a human life, and if he/she was someone you loved, it wouldn't matter to you how much vacationers were inconvenienced to rescue them. I do however understand the frustration of travel plans to those affected, but the priority was to save a life.

Here is the video:

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article43422906.html

This is Oasis back in 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you realize how fortunate you are to have this luxury of being able to take that extra day off?

As I clearly said in my post, if you can't swing the extra 1 day off, maybe you need to take a little personal accountability and just take a vacation that's 1 day shorter? Crazy concept, I know.

As I clearly said in my post, if you can't swing the extra 1 day off, maybe you need to take a little personal accountability and just take a vacation that's 1 day shorter? Crazy concept, I know.

You can certainly look for shorter cruises but if you want something specific you are out of luck. Many seem to be 7 days or more.

You can certainly look for shorter cruises but if you want something specific you are out of luck. Many seem to be 7 days or more.

This in untrue. In a quick search of January 2019 I found multiple 4 and 5 day sailings.

https://www.ncl.com/vacations/1-4-5-8-jan-2-guests-?duration=8051+8052&sailmonths=4294953367&cruise=1&cruiseTour=1&cruiseHotel=1&cruiseHotelAir=1&numberOfGuests=4294953449&state=undefined&pageSize=10&currentPage=1&sortBy=Duration&autoPopulate=f&from=resultPage

i personally wish more sailings ran saturday to saturday instead of sunday to sunday. then you get that buffer day/rest day without having to take more time off from work.

glad this member was found safe and ALIVE! clearly they must have regretted their decision and decided to fight for their life. they do say that many who jump, say, off a bridge, regret it mid air. this must have been teh same thing.

not an issue if we cruise from NYC as we drive. or we could fly to Florida Friday night after work.

So you are of the mind that discussing issues related to the delay of the Getaway are not appropriate here on CC? I just want to be clear what you position is.

CBS news this morning showed a video of crew member as he FELL off the ship while sitting out with other crew members near a life boat area. This crew member was a human life, and if he/she was someone you loved, it wouldn't matter to you how much vacationers were inconvenienced to rescue them. I do however understand the frustration of travel plans to those affected, but the priority was to save a life.

Here is the video:

https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-news/article43422906.html

Was a bit confused, thinking this video had anything at all to do with this incident. Was wondering how, if he was around others, it took about 12 hours to discover he was missing. Then looked at the video and the date/time stamp, and saw this was from 2015. I vaguely remember this incident, and the person was sitting on the railing at the time, so no, he really didn't fall, he placed himself in a stupid position where falling was a real possibility. He was lucky he didn't kill himself on the boat davit, long before he would have landed in the water.

Examples of people who I have met on past cruises that (perhaps suffering is too strong a word) would be stressed in this situation.

A man whose mother just died and spent almost the whole cruise sleeping off his depression on a lounger. Any mention of death would probably further upset him ditto to someone who was on the cruise to get over a child's suicide. A man who woefully miscalculated how is autistic son would react to being on the ship and by mid-week was counting the minutes until they could go home. An older person on medicare that developed bad medical issues they knew wouldn't be covered by insurance due to pre-existing condition that was counting the hours until they could disembark and head straight to urgent care. The list goes on.

Yes stressed is a better word. However every example you gave can happen on any cruise on any day of the week. Any of those scenarios could happen on the first or second day of a cruise. Would you still blame the cruise line for those issues? If you are preparing lists of things that could go wrong on a cruise then its probably not worth taking a vacation. Ships sail late, miss passengers, skip ports all the time. Life goes on and the sun still comes up. Life is not perfect and we must adjust to those imperfections.

We've taken multiple 4, 5, and 6 day cruises when I couldn't fit 7 days into our vacation plans. If you want something specific then you might want to wait until you can fit it into your schedule with some wiggle room for "life" happening. We always try to build an extra day at the beginning and end and always get travel insurance as well. We had to use it when my DGM passed away the day before a cruise and have had many delays in flights and driving that would have caused issues if we hadn't had the extra time built into our vacation. We all have a choice. And choices can have consequences if enough flexibility is not built into your planning.

I am not flaming you. However I take issue with your statement "people impacted are truly suffering." OMG, really? We have a different definition of the word suffering. Inconvenienced? YES. Suffering? No. The crew member and his family are suffering. Children of the world starving are suffering. People trapped in abusive relationships are suffering. Parents of dying children are suffering. I don't think missing a flight qualifies as suffering IMHO. Life is full of mishaps that cause delay or pause. All the late passengers will make it home safe and sound. Its a bit dramatic to call their plight suffering. I have not see any demean them either. I think some straight talk sounds demeaning to some. If missing a flight can cause your world to tailspin and suffer its best to never travel anywhere ever. Today all of their lives go back to normal. Not the same of a family on vacation who has a car accident and a loved one is killed. Think about it. First world problems.

Wish there was a like button!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I must say it was really different being on a cruise where this happened. We were notified at 1 pm that the crew member went over at 9am. We had to back track the four hours where the search started arriving at approximately 5 pm. At about 9 pm they told us the search was over and he could not be found.

We met a server who knows him and said he worked in the aft galley of the ship as a dishwasher and only had two months with the Company.

The servers from the Philippines in the Haven restaurant

were very sad and my Wife and I cried with them also and gave them hugs.

That was a very sad moment I will never forget as we headed towards Miami.

I went out on the balcony at 11 pm and the Captain was I guess you would call it "hauling ass". We were moving as fast as the ship would go.

We are thrilled that he was found and just as happy for his co workers who were

so full of sadness.

I did not use any of the names of the Haven employees that knew him or we shared those moments with to protect their anonymity. They know who they are and they know who we are.

If anyone wants to pick apart this post about the schedule of events this post is not about that. It is a post about human dignity that spreads across cultures and countries and shows that people do care about others.

Just curious from those on this cruise that left 7/1 - is the 30 OBC showing on the acct for anyone? I was going to ask Guest services about it but lines have been long . It’s not a biggie but I was thinking of using it to book one of the shows if it was there . I’m not seeing it on my acct when I view it

Just curious from those on this cruise that left 7/1 - is the 30 OBC showing on the acct for anyone? I was going to ask Guest services about it but lines have been long . It’s not a biggie but I was thinking of using it to book one of the shows if it was there . I’m not seeing it on my acct when I view it

I take it you are on the July 1st sailing. Did it occur to you to call the Guest Services Desk from your cabin phone

and inquire about it? Or perhaps try visiting Guest Services earlier and/or later in the day. They are open 24/7 and also

answer the phones 24/7.

Edited by 1AL

Do you think they might credit your account sometime during the cruise? Not sure of the technology, but can they add the $30 so soon after sailing? And how did you learn about the $30 OBC? Did they text you about it?

Do you think they might credit your account sometime during the cruise? Not sure of the technology, but can they add the $30 so soon after sailing? And how did you learn about the $30 OBC? Did they text you about it?

There was a letter at checkin once we got to port