anyone recently visited Rome from Civitavecchia Train Station....

Kennycapes

LOTS OF MIS-INFORMATION!!

With all respect have you been there recently.

I was there in March 2018 and the NEW pick up - drop off shuttle bus is back to the OLD area used a few years ago by the fort.

This was on a cruise ship not ferry.

LOTS OF MIS-INFORMATION!!

Beware, there is a lot of misinformation that has been given on this thread.

I think that misinformation is coming from you. My buddy just was there less than 6 weeks ago (Royal cruise) and confirmed it was at the Fort again, where it was when I was last there several years ago.

With all respect have you been there recently.

I was there in March 2018 and the NEW pick up - drop off shuttle bus is back to the OLD area used a few years ago by the fort.

This was on a cruise ship not ferry.

I think that misinformation is coming from you. My buddy just was there less than 6 weeks ago (Royal cruise) and confirmed it was at the Fort again, where it was when I was last there several years ago.

I was there on May 31, 2018.

I was there in March this year and it is back to it's old spot near the fort.

Free shuttle to the port entrance and then pleasant 5- 10 min walk along the seafront to the station.

Maryann is correct - we were there in April, the shuttle from the ship now stops at a new base right beside the fort. The walk to the station is less than 10 minutes now.

It's a lot easier than it was last time we were there in 2014.

What cruise line/ship were you on? There seems to be conflicting information that the port bus has not moved to Forte Michelangelo for Celebrity/RCL cruise ships.

Do note in the link provided above that cruise shuttles do not stop at the fort in the morning and they never pick up there, they go only to Largo della Pace. The fort stop is for ferry passengers.

Cruise passengers who want to use the fort exit in the morning, the one closest to the train station, must walk.

Is there a shuttle pick up at the Fort to take us to our cruise ship (Azamara) at Berth 12?

If you look at the link offered above you'll see that there are NO pickups at the fort for cruise ships, and drop-offs are only between the hours of 11:30 AM - 2:30 PM.

What cruise line/ship were you on? There seems to be conflicting information that the port bus has not moved to Forte Michelangelo for Celebrity/RCL cruise ships.

I was there end of March 2018. Costa cruise ship.

The whole area is now completely renovated with a lovely park. Large area for buses to park.

Perhaps the link has not been updated yet?

It seems that it depends where your ship is docked.

Dock 10-13 Green cruise shuttle bus drops off at Fort Michelangelo Piazza dela Vita #1 on Map.

Dock 25 drops off at Largo Della Pace.

map_of_port_of_civitavecchia_eng_1465288193.jpg (JPEG Image, 1200 × 809 pixels) - Scaled (97%)

That is a helpful map. Thank you Maryann.

So it seems the wisest move when working out timing to the station is to be prepared for the longer route. I have done both (and used the shuttle bus and walked to the station) and to be honest, once you are at the dock, neither route is difficult because you can follow the crowd.

The rule is to always allow plenty of time to catch a train. You have to expect queues to buy your ticket (and remember to validate it) and of course on the way back (make sure you don't leave it until the last train) give yourself lots of time to find the platform in the huge Termini Station. Even though I know where it is, I still allow 15 minutes to get to the platform from the entrance to allow for crowds and to double check which train I am on.

So it seems the wisest move when working out timing to the station is to be prepared for the longer route.

Bingo. Just because someone reports that they got on a shuttle bus from a cruise ship that dropped off at the fort does not mean it happens all the time so you can't count on it. The port authority has set things up to deliberately slow down the progress of cruise passengers to the train station by creating routes without an authorized stop at the fort during the morning hours (before 11:30 AM). Just because one driver on one day decided to do otherwise, it would not be wise to plan assuming that all will, or that the driver of the shuttle you happen to board will break the rules.

Regarding that port map, do note that the top of that map is west, not north. If you're not familiar with the area or if you're directionally challenged that could be confusing on the ground.

Cruisemom is correct . Was there today and it was as she detailed. 3 ships in - MSC, Costa and Disney and was same for all of them. It is a pain - you should allow up to 45 mins to have time to get off ship and get both shuttles and time to buy ticket at train station. Check the train timetable carefully as trains NOT evenly spaced over the hour and mistiming could result in up to a 45 min wait at train station (on BIRG ticket which is great value).

Coming back from The Vatican will take a minimum of 2 hours with walking, train and 2 shuttles (assuming you have read timetable and arrive at train station 10 mins before train). Anywhere else in Rome I would allow at least 2.75 hours.

Cruisemom is correct . Was there today and it was as she detailed. 3 ships in - MSC, Costa and Disney and was same for all of them. It is a pain - you should allow up to 45 mins to have time to get off ship and get both shuttles and time to buy ticket at train station. Check the train timetable carefully as trains NOT evenly spaced over the hour and mistiming could result in up to a 45 min wait at train station (on BIRG ticket which is great value).

Coming back from The Vatican will take a minimum of 2 hours with walking, train and 2 shuttles (assuming you have read timetable and arrive at train station 10 mins before train). Anywhere else in Rome I would allow at least 2.75 hours.

Sorry to hear this. It worked so well in March.

Were all 3 ships docked in #25. Do you remember where you were docked?

Docks 10-13 were supposed to drop off pick up at the fort.

Thank you for coming back and clarifying what is happening now.

Looking at a port map online we were all docked in a row along the really long dock. The map says 'Roma cruise terminal ' and it was around dock 12 area. The bus just drove past the Fort.

Looking at a port map online we were all docked in a row along the really long dock. The map says 'Roma cruise terminal ' and it was around dock 12 area. The bus just drove past the Fort.

That's sad that it doesn't stop at the fort any more.

Thanks again for the update.