Wheelchair Availability

Lyndihop

Here ya go. Found this at https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/accessibility.html

Holland America Line is no longer able to provide complimentary wheelchair assistance for any purpose other than embarkation, disembarkation, and emergency situations. Holland America Line wheelchairs are not available for shore excursions or for use on board. If you will require regular use of a wheelchair, we recommend that you bring your own wheelchair with you. You may also make advance rental arrangements prior to your sailing and have a wheelchair delivered directly to the ship for use on board and in ports of call.

Special Needs at Sea and Scootaround are vendors we recommend for delivery of mobility devices. Please contact these vendors directly for pricing and availability. Their contact information is listed below for your information.

Our TA arranged for me to use a wheelchair for embarkation and disembarkation when final payment was due.

I rent a walker for the ship and shore.

Quite a few years I had problem 2 days before the end of the first segment of a cruise. I was able to use a wheelchair to go and see the doctor. But I had to rent a wheelchair for last 2 days -- I was charged the full cost of what it would have been for 11 days.

After that I rented Rollators from Care Vacations which is now Scootaround.

Rent as soon as you can -- most of the rentels for cruises starting from US ports.

We are on the same cruise as you and we just made arrangements for wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarkation, however if you need a wheel chair for use on the ship it is up to you to make arrangements for one. You have to inform Hal you need assistance. We have the information if you want it.

Two months ago while on a 14 day cruise, we unfortunately had an unplanned situation and needed a wheel chair on board. I talked with customer service desk and they advised they had chairs for rent, which could be used on board or off when in port. We never took it off the ship but used it until disembarkation. On morning of disembarkation, you can leave it in the state room or turn it in at customer service. Pax was transported to the designated waiting area, chair returned, and staff transported her off the ship to the terminal via a ship wheel chair. The cost for 14 days was $200.

g

Our Hal PCC referred us to the "Access & Compliance Dept." and we had to fill out a Special Requirements Form. The number to contact the above department is 800-547-8493. We can discuss this on our Roll call of 24 days.

I’ve asked my TA for some help. But any information you can pass along would be much appreciated.

Our TA fills out the form for wheelchair assistance on embarkation and disembarkation days.

I don't know when your cruise is, but it needs to be done as soon as possible. Our TA does it at final payment for me.

Our PCC has made arrangements with the airline, we are using flightease, for wheelchair assistance as well. DW's problem is knee replacement and she gets around okay but slowly, that is where the assistance come into to play boarding and also disembarkating and for moving through the airport. We not are planning on using one on the ship.

As previously mentioned, just remember that if you have to use one of their chairs for anything other than embarkation, debarkation or an on-board emergency, you will be charged rental for the full length of your cruise no matter how brief your useage.

May you never need them!!!

This is hoping you do not need the wheel chair. However last year we needed one for DW on our 23 day cruise to Australia and the rental was over $500 so I contacted a friend of ours who used a wheel chair full time and she said you can buy them from Walmart, target, etc for a little over $100 so that is what we did and it worked out great. We will be using it again in a few weeks when we go to Alaska.

You can also find less expensive options for rollators/wheelchairs/scooters on sites like fb marketplace, letgo, craigslist, or nextdoor. I recently purchased a transport chair from a neighbor on nextdoor and used it on our Alaskan cruise. Worked like a charm. I was able to use it in the airport and our days in Seattle precruise too. Not a bad deal for $60. Interestingly enough, the wheel on the chair bent on a particularly bad transition piece our first night on board and HAL did have an "emergency" scooter that I was able to rent for 7 days.

I liked the independence the scooter provided me so much, I found a used one on FB marketplace for the same price I paid to rent it for the week. I figure if i can just use it for one cruise, it's paid for itself and I can use it if I need it for out and about activities more local.

Are mobility devices charged the same as luggage?

And there’s the sad possibility of having to cancel. [emoji22]

Do you mean on US airlines? You will need to double check, but generally, no charge. The only thing that is tricky are scooter batteries that have yo be a certain type in order to be able to fly with them.

Yes. We will fly from US to Rome. Then FLL to home.
You wont have a problem. I took my transport chair and checked it as I entered the plane. They brought it back up so it was ready as we came off the plane. No charge. Depending on the size of your device, they may even fold it up and slide it into a spot in the cabin but usually they stow it in the belly.

Not what I wanted to hear. I’ll have to see about a cost for a 24 day TA.

Forget the rental. It will cost a fortune for 24 days. Check out Goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrift stores or Craigslist and Ebay for a good clean chair you can buy. They usually sell for a fraction of the cost of new or a long term rental.

I had a very good mobility scooter I could hardly give away. Another option you may look at. Believe me, there's many options out there short of paying for a rental, buying insurance on it, dealing with rental agreements, taking delivery etc.

Forget the rental. It will cost a fortune for 24 days. Check out Goodwill, Salvation Army and other thrift stores or Craigslist and Ebay for a good clean chair you can buy. They usually sell for a fraction of the cost of new or a long term rental.

I had a very good mobility scooter I could hardly give away. Another option you may look at. Believe me, there's many options out there short of paying for a rental, buying insurance on it, dealing with rental agreements, taking delivery etc.

That is a great suggestion. Think I'll mention it to mil as she would benefit from an occasional use scooter. She is still mostly mobile but has a few bad days here and there. (y)

Do you mean on US airlines? You will need to double check, but generally, no charge. The only thing that is tricky are scooter batteries that have yo be a certain type in order to be able to fly with them.

No charge for any flight originating or returning to the US. Do contact your airline beforehand to give them a 'heads up'.

Check out the air carrier access act (ACAA) for full info.

Do check out the battery info. No wet cell batteries and there are certain limits on wattage of other batteries. Know before you go.

That is a great suggestion. Think I'll mention it to mil as she would benefit from an occasional use scooter. She is still mostly mobile but has a few bad days here and there. (y)

Check out potential scooters just like you would check out a used car before buying. Look at overall condition, cleanliness, visible wear or damage, weight capacity, any abuse or neglect, and the age of the scooter. How old are the batteries? Does it need any repairs? Most importantly, drive it! Is it manoeuverable and comfortable for you? Is it inclined to tip over on turns? Most importantly, how heavy is it? Mine weighs 52# and can be folded in seconds and or divided into two parts. I can easily load and carry it in the trunk of any car. What is the width of the scooter? You must get it through your stateroom door. You can't park it in the hallway because of the obstruction of the passageway. Also because of the SOLAS (Safety of Life at Sea laws).

Much to consider, but there are some real bargains out there.

Good luck!