New Menu in Verandah on QM2

Too Young for Cunard

Those aren't really Verandah type items, some of them are available in either the pub or the alternative Kings Court restaurants or if you really want to have whatever you fancy try Queens Grill.

Of course Hattie, to "try Queens Grill" one must pay many thousands of dollars extra.

Seems a lot just to get a decent dinner ...

Of course, there's also the butler.

Of course Hattie, to "try Queens Grill" one must pay many thousands of dollars extra.

Seems a lot just to get a decent dinner ...

Of course, there's also the butler.

I wasn't suggesting that was the only way to get a decent dinner, just the only way to get some of the things on the poster's wish list.

I believe that THIS (above) is the current menu, and the offerings posted by ew101 appear not to be the current Verandah menu. ...

That's my understanding as well. I was thinking ew101 may have thought what he found on voyage personaliser was a new Verandah menu for September after the trial period for this new Steakhouse concept ends. It would make perfect sense that the Verandah menu posted on the voyage personaliser for a future voyage might actually be the menu for that voyage, but alas we can't make that assumption. I think we'll just have to wait a bit longer to see if they continue the new Steakhouse concept after September 7 or go with something different.

Quoting from another recent thread about the QM2 Verandah menu changes:

Contacted Cunard today asking what happens after the menu change on September 7th and all they would say is "More information on what happens after will be released closer to September, so keep your eyes pealed ".

We are on QM2 on October 18th that was reason for my enquiry but on VP Verandah is bookable in advance for $49 but doesnt give any inclination of menu or style.

Edited by bluemarble

We find the prospect of this menu simply mouth-watering. Everyone is entitled to their own food preferences, of course, and no one should be criticized for them. But it does seem to me that anyone who prefers NYC ethnic street food to the posted menu should seriously consider staying in NYC an extra seven days and getting to (or from) Europe the way most people do.

Just back from the short Hamburg-Southampton cruise on QM2 last weekend and I can confirm that the menu posted by s.s.France is indeed the current one.

We´ve had it one night and it was nice. Can recommend it for a nice out to change for the main dining room.

Didn´t like the Lobster Cocktail but the meat (we shared the platter for two) was good. The cheesecake is absolutely to die for. The portion is huge (even for 2 people..it´s more for 4) but probably the best cheesecake I´ve ever had!!

Thanks for posting. Unfortunately this is the normal menu not the temporary menu for August that I was hoping for. I am now on board and the Steakhouse at the Verandah menu is inferior in every way and I would have loved to have this menu instead! Maybe I’m. Old fashioned but I like French a al carte.

A menu for The Verandah is posted today on the Cunard.com site under booked guests.

 Starters 

White Crab and Sea Urchin Roe

Textures of Cauliflower, Squid Ink Cracker

Sea Scallop Ceviche Salad

Smoked Eel, Granny Smith Apple

Ravioli of Scottish Langoustine

Bottarga, Bagna Cauda, Parsley Purée

Duck Liver and Chicken Torchon

Fig Carpaccio, Espelette Chilli, Candied Hazelnuts

Frogs Legs Sucette

Crisp Shallots, Caramelised Black Garlic

Bayonne Ham

Gruyére Gourgé, Vegetable Chiffon, Olive Oil Jelly

Highland Venison Tartare

Soused Radish, Heritage Beetroot, Horseradish

Asparagus Spears

Oeuf Mollet, Pink Grapefruit, Warm Mayonnaise (v)

 Soup 

Soup of the Season

 Main Courses 

Wild Turbot en Papillote

Skate and Mussel Cannelloni, Chilli Crevett e,

Beurre Blanc

Slipper Lobster Tail, Octopus and Red Mullet

Fennel, Broad Beans, Bouillabaisse Fondue

Label Rouge Guinea Hen

Salt Baked Carrots, Morels, Dried Grapes

Liquorish Magret of Chalosse Duck

Nave and Orange Fondant,

Yorkshire Champagne Rhubarb

Loin of Gascon Black Pig

Ibérico Pork Presa, Boudin Noir, Apple Galette,

Pedro Ximénez Jus

Rack* and Shoulder of Dorset Lamb

Panisse Fritters, Niçoise Tapenade, Smoked Tomato Chutney

Galician Aged Beef Fillet

Escargots and Bone Marrow, Pont Neuf Potatoes,

Romesco, Marcona Almonds

Confit Byaldi

Piperade, Kaolin Pebbles, Goat Curds, Tomato Consommé (v)

 Desserts 

Amalfi Lemon Ile Flotante

Caramelised Sugar Crust

Poached Anjou Pear Parfait

Herb Florentine, Raspberries,

Chocolate Sauce

Chocolate Ganache and Tonka Bean Mousse

Speculaas Biscuit, Olive Oil Ice Cream

Coriander Meringue and Alphonso Mango

Pineapple Gel, Coconut Sorbet

Rum au Baba

Crème Chantilly, Demerara Rum Shot

Warm Agen Prune and Armagnac Tart

Walnut Madeleine, Clotted Cream

Hot Pistachio Soufflé

Pomegranate and Rose Scented Ice Cream

Cheese

Artisan Biscuits, Sundried Fruits

We could see nothing on it either of us would touch. Uncooked venison? It is a shame to be leaving NYC and all the lovely ethnic food choices to have this as our dining upgrade choice? The mass market lines in some cases make an effort to see what people like to eat- or even what is hip and popular.

Have to confess that I'm a bit of a foodie and do try and find Michelin and up and coming places for food whenever we travel and I hope that they bring back the full Verandah menu. I really enjoyed our experience in its namesake on the QV. Steakhouses are on every High Street but less so Fine French Dining which is a harder thing to find and seems a better fit for the luxury style experience that Cunard offer.

A menu for The Verandah is posted today on the Cunard.com site under booked guests.

 Starters 

White Crab and Sea Urchin Roe

Textures of Cauliflower, Squid Ink Cracker

Sea Scallop Ceviche Salad

Smoked Eel, Granny Smith Apple

Ravioli of Scottish Langoustine

Bottarga, Bagna Cauda, Parsley Purée

Duck Liver and Chicken Torchon

Fig Carpaccio, Espelette Chilli, Candied Hazelnuts

Frogs Legs Sucette

Crisp Shallots, Caramelised Black Garlic

Bayonne Ham

Gruyére Gourgé, Vegetable Chiffon, Olive Oil Jelly

Highland Venison Tartare

Soused Radish, Heritage Beetroot, Horseradish

Asparagus Spears

Oeuf Mollet, Pink Grapefruit, Warm Mayonnaise (v)

 Soup 

Soup of the Season

 Main Courses 

Wild Turbot en Papillote

Skate and Mussel Cannelloni, Chilli Crevett e,

Beurre Blanc

Slipper Lobster Tail, Octopus and Red Mullet

Fennel, Broad Beans, Bouillabaisse Fondue

Label Rouge Guinea Hen

Salt Baked Carrots, Morels, Dried Grapes

Liquorish Magret of Chalosse Duck

Nave and Orange Fondant,

Yorkshire Champagne Rhubarb

Loin of Gascon Black Pig

Ibérico Pork Presa, Boudin Noir, Apple Galette,

Pedro Ximénez Jus

Rack* and Shoulder of Dorset Lamb

Panisse Fritters, Niçoise Tapenade, Smoked Tomato Chutney

Galician Aged Beef Fillet

Escargots and Bone Marrow, Pont Neuf Potatoes,

Romesco, Marcona Almonds

Confit Byaldi

Piperade, Kaolin Pebbles, Goat Curds, Tomato Consommé (v)

 Desserts 

Amalfi Lemon Ile Flotante

Caramelised Sugar Crust

Poached Anjou Pear Parfait

Herb Florentine, Raspberries,

Chocolate Sauce

Chocolate Ganache and Tonka Bean Mousse

Speculaas Biscuit, Olive Oil Ice Cream

Coriander Meringue and Alphonso Mango

Pineapple Gel, Coconut Sorbet

Rum au Baba

Crème Chantilly, Demerara Rum Shot

Warm Agen Prune and Armagnac Tart

Walnut Madeleine, Clotted Cream

Hot Pistachio Soufflé

Pomegranate and Rose Scented Ice Cream

Cheese

Artisan Biscuits, Sundried Fruits

We could see nothing on it either of us would touch. Uncooked venison? It is a shame to be leaving NYC and all the lovely ethnic food choices to have this as our dining upgrade choice? The mass market lines in some cases make an effort to see what people like to eat- or even what is hip and popular.

I am amazed that there is nothing on the menu that either of you would touch...my children would eat most of the choices and be delighted....if the requirement is for New York ethnic food then dining on an international ship catering for many nationalities would not be my choice of travel

• Like 1

Since the this voyage on the QM2 (and only the first half for many round-trippers) is the end of the Steakhouse trial, has anyone gotten a clear notice of the menu for the upcoming crossing on the 9th?

...curious because I'll be aboard.

No not a clue...we are on the 9th Sept crossing and have a table booked but when I spoke to the Cunard agent she said that if we didn’t like the menu (when we finally find out what it is) we can get a refund. Maybe meet you on board ...not long now :cool:

No not a clue...we are on the 9th Sept crossing and have a table booked but when I spoke to the Cunard agent she said that if we didn’t like the menu (when we finally find out what it is) we can get a refund. Maybe meet you on board ...not long now :cool:

Yeah - I'll be heading up to King's Court to see the alternative dining for the next two crossings and the Veranda as well. (We're doing a RT and want to have a non-Britannia res for the first night of the return. Booked in Veranda, but will probably change to KC Alternative, if the old Veranda menu is in force and a good alternative is scheduled)

Hope to see you as well. Will you be at the default CC roll call get-together in the Commodore Club (port side, piano area) at 2:00 on the first sea day. Monday?

- Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Well just back after the TA and sadly I can report that the Verandah is still running the steakhouse menu and frankly it wasn’t worth the extra $39 :(. Pleasant enough ambience at dinner time but unremarkable cooking compared to the Britannia restaurant. It seems the steakhouse is the future but unless you really crave the steaks don’t waste your money....save it for a couple more high priced drinks at the bars ;)

We had dinner at the Veranda steakhouse tonight. We enjoyed it and considered it a decent value for the money. Our 12 oz New York strip steaks were good. Yes - not exceptional cuts or enormous servings, but a nice sized steak, well prepared. With the sides and starters, worthwhile.

A couple of suggestions, though,

• The way the menu is printed, it can be read as needing a $30 extra charge for all of the steaks, where in fact, it's only the last one on the list, the Wagyu Steak. (The "steaks" heading is in green, and after the final steak (wagyu) there is a green notice about the charge which can appear to apply to the whole section. In fact, on the crossing over, some friends made that mistake and reported that all the steaks in the steakhouse cost $70 total! (Presumably, they didn't ask)
  • The desserts were good, but along with the classic items on the menu, a good, gooey hot fudge sundae with whipped cream, chopped nuts and a cherry would be a nice addition.

I see our voyager personaliser now also discusses the Alternative Find Dining option on QM2 as being "Steakhouse at the Verandah". We're too far out to book anything yet for our voyage, but I've attached the dinner menu from our Voyage Personaliser. Looks to be the same as what was previously posted on "beyondships". This document may be a little easier to read though and it does include a second page with the desserts and wine list.

Steakhouse at The Verandah.pdf

I see our voyager personaliser now also discusses the Alternative Find Dining option on QM2 as being "Steakhouse at the Verandah". We're too far out to book anything yet for our voyage, but I've attached the dinner menu from our Voyage Personaliser. Looks to be the same as what was previously posted on "beyondships". This document may be a little easier to read though and it does include a second page with the desserts and wine list.

Our voyage personaliser for January it just has the Verandah, with the higher charge. I have booked a table as it's a special occasion but for me a steakhouse wouldn't be something I'd pay extra for

• 4 weeks later...

Found this posted in the UK FAQ a few days ago concerning the status of the Steakhouse at The Vernadah on QM2 following its trial period this summer. This is included within the answer to the question "Can I see an example of a menu?".

Steakhouse at The Verandah on Queen Mary 2

Following the success of the new menu 'Steakhouse at The Verandah' on board Queen Mary 2 in the summer of 2018, we're pleased to announce that this has now become a permanent feature. 

‘Steakhouse at The Verandah’ takes influence from both sides of the Atlantic, showcasing Prime USDA grain finished New York Strip steak, Maine lobster and Alaskan king crab, alongside dishes celebrating British provenance such as Scotch grass fed dry aged beef and Salt Marsh lamb rack. Offerings from farther afield such as renowned Wagyu Beef from Australia also feature.

Delicious entrées are complimented with an array of appetisers including London Cure gin & tonic salmon and tea smoked duck. And there's even more temptation with mouth-watering desserts such as bourbon baba with Florida orange marmalade and melting toffee and peanut butter brownie sundae.

Please see example menus below

Verandah Dinner menu*

Verandah Bar card*

Verandah Lunch menu*

3 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

I can't say I am very impressed with the menus, but I will wait until I have tried it before I pass judgment.

I'd go so far as to say I'm particularly UNimpressed with the new menu as displayed here.

There are many many cruise lines which cater to the more 'casual' palate and offer American-style foods and dishes that a lot of American travellers seem to hanker for. It would be a huge shame if Cunard continues down that route and diminishes the entire concept of the 'fine dining' restaurant.

• Like 1

Sigh. Well, that's $39 saved and another reason why I'd rather spend the extra and go Princess Grill and never have the need or the desire for extra cost restaurants. Indeed, the menu in Britannia is more appealing to me anyway.

I appreciate that 1970s retro is all the rage now, but a c. 1974 steak restaurant?  It's like date night with Jack Regan in The Sweeney.  And the wine list.. well that's sure not c. 1974 price-wise.. what a rip-off especially by the glass. 

21 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Found this posted in the UK FAQ a few days ago concerning the status of the Steakhouse at The Vernadah on QM2 following its trial period this summer. This is included within the answer to the question "Can I see an example of a menu?".

Steakhouse at The Verandah on Queen Mary 2

Following the success of the new menu 'Steakhouse at The Verandah' on board Queen Mary 2 in the summer of 2018, we're pleased to announce that this has now become a permanent feature. 

‘Steakhouse at The Verandah’ takes influence from both sides of the Atlantic, showcasing Prime USDA grain finished New York Strip steak, Maine lobster and Alaskan king crab, alongside dishes celebrating British provenance such as Scotch grass fed dry aged beef and Salt Marsh lamb rack. Offerings from farther afield such as renowned Wagyu Beef from Australia also feature.

Delicious entrées are complimented with an array of appetisers including London Cure gin & tonic salmon and tea smoked duck. And there's even more temptation with mouth-watering desserts such as bourbon baba with Florida orange marmalade and melting toffee and peanut butter brownie sundae.

Please see example menus below

Verandah Dinner menu*

Verandah Bar card*

Verandah Lunch menu*

Well I am very disappointed to read this. We tried the Steakhouse on our honeymoon after I originally started this thread and were not remotely impressed; it was so inferior compared to QE and QV. We filled out the survey they were carrying out but the Maitre'D explained how it appeared popular and would probably stay. I understand why from a business perspective they have retained it and it clearly caters to an American market. I just hope they do not remove the more traditional fine dining experience on QE and QV; it has always been so busy on all of our cruises of QE and QV, where as apparently it was very quiet on QM2. I think, above all else, my issue was the informality of the Steakhouse: the card menu with a mediocre wine list printed on the back! The sommeliers are basically redundant. I don't see why it needed to be so dumbed down. Besides all else, the food was just not as good in my opinion. 

16 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I'd go so far as to say I'm particularly UNimpressed with the new menu as displayed here.

There are many many cruise lines which cater to the more 'casual' palate and offer American-style foods and dishes that a lot of American travellers seem to hanker for. It would be a huge shame if Cunard continues down that route and diminishes the entire concept of the 'fine dining' restaurant.

I completely agree with everything you have said here. The whole concept just didn't seem to fit with the Cunard brand in my opinion however it does appear to be popular. I must just be behind the times or maybe it is just the difference in American and British tastes. I feel that Cunard ships need a traditional fine dining restaurant to rival the best on land; the Steakhouse is fine as an alternative dining venue but not THE ONLY fixed alternative dining venue. Maybe I am just old fashioned but at the age of 25 I like Cunard for exactly the reason that they are traditional... at least they were.

• Like 1