I never thought I'd be in this position.

stargate fan

Carnival (and most cruise lines actually) will provide embarking and disembarking wheelchair assistance - at the home port - not at ports of call. Your platinum status may or may not do any good except for getting into your cabin as soon as you board. Regardless of what others opinions are it's been our experience that the wheel chairs and pushers are assigned on a first come first come basis. (but to me getting help boarding is more valuable than jumping the line :D)

There have been numerous threads on here describing the process. You may want to search

The Carnival FAQ's give the companies who provide wheelchairs and scooters to rent and the phone numbers.

My mom is 87 years old, and we had a borrowed wheelchair for her mainly for long distances and port days when we were on the Magic in July. The Carnival staff was really good about helping us get her back up the ramp on the ship on port days as it is a little tricky for an inexperienced pusher (as I was). We went ahead and pushed her on for embarkation, but they helped us for debarkation (took us to the elevator and then got us to a porter). Best of luck to you with your surgery and your cruise.

My son's girlfriend broke her foot shortly before our cruise and was in a boot but off the crutches. I rented a knee scooter for her $25 for the week from a local medical supply. She used it for embarcation and in the evenings a few nights when she was more sore. It was small and easy to tuck out of the way and a minimal expense. Bonus - at embarkation they took us to a special check in table so she didn't have to wait in line.

My son's girlfriend broke her foot shortly before our cruise and was in a boot but off the crutches. I rented a knee scooter for her $25 for the week from a local medical supply. She used it for embarcation and in the evenings a few nights when she was more sore. It was small and easy to tuck out of the way and a minimal expense. Bonus - at embarkation they took us to a special check in table so she didn't have to wait in line.

By local medical supply, do you mean the cruise home port city or your home city?

By local medical supply, do you mean the cruise home port city or your home city?

We we drove to the port so home town. If you are flying it may be worth it for getting thru the airport also. They will gate check it for you like a stroller and it will be waiting on the ramp when you get off the plane.

I cruised the week before I had achilles tendon surgery on the first ankle. Then 2 years later I had the same surgery on the second ankle, just far enough apart for me to have gotten rid of everything I needed for the 2nd one! I was NWB for 8 weeks for both, then in the boot for an additional 6.

I also had to use crutches for 2 weeks to augment the boot just after bearing weight, then just the boot for the remaining 4 weeks.

I flew, attended professional conferences, went on vacation, all in the boot as soon as I was weight-bearing... strangely enough the time I rented the motorized scooter was the toughest- people complain about scooter users but they have no concept of what it's like to use one! They would cut in front of you and stop dead, then yell at you when you bumped them!

I used a wheelchair the first time to help get around when walking was hard, and the knee walker after my second surgery before I could bear weight.

None of these was convenient, but some helped a bit... just remember to ask your steward for extra pillows & ice to elevate your foot for a while mid-day and at bed time.

I was NWB for six weeks and was out of the boot by eight after the first rupture.

I'm having the FHL tendon transfer this time. Boy do I want to pick your brain! How are you doing now? Any tips?

IMO your surgeon is key. You need to be comfortable with the number of FHL procedures he/she has performed as there is some professional judgement involved during the process. I asked mine and he said "lots". I asked over 100? He smiled and said yeah, way over. I really like how direct and positive he was. During my first visit with him, he stated "here is how we are going to fix you".

One weird thing was I had some pain nowhere near the achilles or scar...I guess it was some type of phantom pain related to the where the donor tendon was.

Biggest hurdle IMO to recovery was overcoming the hesitation to put weight on it and start walking and doing activities in a normal fashion. Understand you will never regain what you had pre-injury.

But all is good today. I had the surgery in June 2015. Was golfing by December 2015. And on my just competed Breeze cruise, I did the stairs (deck 0 to deck 14) for exercise...no problem.

I too cruised after JUST having been put on crutches for a stress fracture. I found that the staff was above-and-beyond helpful, as I didn't have time to contact the Special Needs team (as the crutches occurred the day before we sailed!)

A few things that worked well:

--When I got out of the car at the port, and started to crutch my way over to the terminal, a porter came running up to me with a wheelchair, and pushed me the entire way through the check-in process. We actually by-passed much of the line, including the arrival group photo (which we always take).

--At MUSTER, a crew member came up to me and noted by name/cabin number on a clipboard. He told me that "in the event of an emergency", they would send someone to my cabin to provide assistance to me. WOW!

--At MUSTER, I was allowed to take the elevators up/down.

--At the Lido buffet, someone ALWAYS offered to carry my tray.

--At several ports, there were industrious young men with wheelchairs, who would offer to push you alllllllllll the way down the pier, either to/from the ship, in the hopes that they would receive a tip.

--I had to cancel our Segway excursion, but was able to go to the excursions in the other ports than involved vans/boats. All tour operators were very helpful.

--I did use a wheelchair medway through the cruise for 2 evenings, as we were on the Vista and I was just exhausted from crutching the long distances of her decks.

Hope that helps!--CeleBrat

I see cruisers with all kinds of assisted ambulatory devices enjoying themselves on a ship. Some even get fitted for a boot or cast after an excursion like Dunn's River Falls. Doesn't seem to put a damper on their spirits. If the doc said go, I'd say Enjoy!

I cruised the week before I had achilles tendon surgery on the first ankle. Then 2 years later I had the same surgery on the second ankle, just far enough apart for me to have gotten rid of everything I needed for the 2nd one!

Yikes! I'm sorry.

Doesn't this always happen?! I have many friends who got rid of their baby items as the kids grew up, only to get pregnant again.

I was NWB for 8 weeks for both, then in the boot for an additional 6.

I also had to use crutches for 2 weeks to augment the boot just after bearing weight, then just the boot for the remaining 4 weeks.

My surgeon gave me this same timeline. My husband and I are mentally prepared for the long haul. I am going to do everything I can so I don't have to go through this a fourth time!

I flew, attended professional conferences, went on vacation, all in the boot as soon as I was weight-bearing... strangely enough the time I rented the motorized scooter was the toughest- people complain about scooter users but they have no concept of what it's like to use one! They would cut in front of you and stop dead, then yell at you when you bumped them!

I had a person bump into me with his cart at the supermarket while I was driving one of the market's motorized scooters yesterday. Hello! That sucker was huge and hard to miss.

I used a wheelchair the first time to help get around when walking was hard, and the knee walker after my second surgery before I could bear weight.

I have a knee walker, but it did a number on my knee after the second Achilles surgery. (Ironically, I had that knee replaced in June 2016.)

I use my crutches for now but I am still considering getting a wheelchair.

None of these was convenient, but some helped a bit... just remember to ask your steward for extra pillows & ice to elevate your foot for a while mid-day and at bed time.

Thank you! You have been a big help!!

How are you doing now?

We cruised in November, 2017, two weeks before my first Achilles tendon surgery, and again in February, 2018. I had ruptured my Achilles tendon before that cruise but didn't know it yet. I had my second surgery in April, 2018, two months later. (That time I had a 3 cm. retraction. The incision was a tad over 6.5 in.) I didn't let my tendon stop me from doing anything but I did use the elevator on the ship much more than I liked.

This time is different.

Besides repairing the re-rupture (a 7 cm. retraction - I do things big.), my surgeon used the same incision but increased it by 2+ in., performed FHL tendon transfer, and lengthened my calf muscle.

If I have to cruise with my boot, so be it. As I said in my original post I am in a VACOped, which is waterproof so I can swim with it on my leg, as long as my sutures are out and the incision is healed.

We cruised with friends two months after the wife had a knee replaced back in 2015. Crew members were amazing! Everyone wanted to help her and do things for her.

I'd rather be sitting around on a cruise ship, being pampered, than sitting around at home, being bored.

Edited by stargate fan

I see cruisers with all kinds of assisted ambulatory devices enjoying themselves on a ship. Some even get fitted for a boot or cast after an excursion like Dunn's River Falls. Doesn't seem to put a damper on their spirits. If the doc said go, I'd say Enjoy!

I'm a very optimistic gal. I can have fun on a cruise, even while wearing a boot.

IMO your surgeon is key. You need to be comfortable with the number of FHL procedures he/she has performed as there is some professional judgement involved during the process. I asked mine and he said "lots". I asked over 100? He smiled and said yeah, way over. I really like how direct and positive he was. During my first visit with him, he stated "here is how we are going to fix you".

This sounds like my ortho surgeon.

One weird thing was I had some pain nowhere near the achilles or scar...I guess it was some type of phantom pain related to the where the donor tendon was.

I'm five days post-op. Every day I have a different pain in a different place. The worst was on Thursday where my surgeon attached the FHL to my heel bone. Yikes!!!

Biggest hurdle IMO to recovery was overcoming the hesitation to put weight on it and start walking and doing activities in a normal fashion.

I'm in no hurry to put weight on my leg yet. I want to heal and avoid surgery #4 at all costs.

Understand you will never regain what you had pre-injury.

I'm not so sure. I will follow my surgeon's orders and see how far I go.

But all is good today. I had the surgery in June 2015. Was golfing by December 2015. And on my just competed Breeze cruise, I did the stairs (deck 0 to deck 14) for exercise...no problem.

That's good to hear. I really missed using the stairs on Fascination back in February.

I miss going for walks on a beautiful summer evening the most right now. I know we have a long recovery - surgeon said it could take 15-18 months to fully heal. I am patient.

I too cruised after JUST having been put on crutches for a stress fracture. I found that the staff was above-and-beyond helpful, as I didn't have time to contact the Special Needs team (as the crutches occurred the day before we sailed!)

Whoa! How are you doing now?

A few things that worked well:

--When I got out of the car at the port, and started to crutch my way over to the terminal, a porter came running up to me with a wheelchair, and pushed me the entire way through the check-in process. We actually by-passed much of the line, including the arrival group photo (which we always take).

We are sailing with friends so I want to have that picture taken.

--At MUSTER, a crew member came up to me and noted by name/cabin number on a clipboard. He told me that "in the event of an emergency", they would send someone to my cabin to provide assistance to me. WOW!

Good to know.

--At MUSTER, I was allowed to take the elevators up/down.

Also good to know. Thankfully we are sailing Dream so all muster stations are inside venues with seats.

--At the Lido buffet, someone ALWAYS offered to carry my tray.

Note to self: bring extra cash for tips.

--At several ports, there were industrious young men with wheelchairs, who would offer to push you alllllllllll the way down the pier, either to/from the ship, in the hopes that they would receive a tip.

See note above.

--I had to cancel our Segway excursion, but was able to go to the excursions in the other ports than involved vans/boats. All tour operators were very helpful.

I hope you do a segway tour another time They are a hoot!

The only excursion that concerns me is Maya ruins in Belize. We have time to assess my mobility and will cancel if necessary. We are relaxing at beaches on Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Roatan.

--I did use a wheelchair medway through the cruise for 2 evenings, as we were on the Vista and I was just exhausted from crutching the long distances of her decks.

We sailed Vista Transatlantic so I know the ship well.

I am considering renting a wheelchair or motorized scooter, again depending upon my mobility come November.

Hope that helps!--CeleBrat

Yes, this helps so much! Thank you.

My mom is 87 years old, and we had a borrowed wheelchair for her mainly for long distances and port days when we were on the Magic in July.

From whom did you borrow the wheelchair?

The Carnival staff was really good about helping us get her back up the ramp on the ship on port days as it is a little tricky for an inexperienced pusher (as I was). We went ahead and pushed her on for embarkation, but they helped us for debarkation (took us to the elevator and then got us to a porter).

Aren't Carnival crew members the best?!?!

Best of luck to you with your surgery and your cruise.

Thank you so much.

We are sailing with friends from Oregon, whom we met on Legend Panama Canal cruise in August, 2014. (We live in NH.) This will be our fourth cruise with them since that fateful voyage and we are so excited to spend time with them again.

Hey everyone.

Thanks for all the well wishes and advice.

I had my six-day post-op. Surgeon says Achilles is healing well so far. Stitches come out on September 11. It's still too early to tell if I'll be in walking boot come November 2.

I'll keep you updated.

Thanks again for the support.

We're in the same pickle, DW, 1 week ago took a serious fall and suffered a severely separated shoulder plus a fracture. We are sailing on the Paradise in 1 month. Her orthopedic surgeon said do not cancel. Avoid all excursions unless your just walking close to port. Totally immobilized until the week before. Still has to take her sling with her. We did have trip insurance.

We're in the same pickle, DW, 1 week ago took a serious fall and suffered a severely separated shoulder plus a fracture. We are sailing on the Paradise in 1 month. Her orthopedic surgeon said do not cancel. Avoid all excursions unless your just walking close to port. Totally immobilized until the week before. Still has to take her sling with her. We did have trip insurance.

Oh, boy, I'm so sorry. I hope your DW feels better soon.

My husband has been amazing through all this.

I just hope I'll be in a walking boot by the time we leave.

• 2 weeks later...

CheersPkg4Us, how is your wife doing?

It's been two weeks since you posted, which means you have about two weeks until your cruise.

My wife had to have the Topaz Procedure done on both of her Achilles, one at a time, in two separate years - basically poking 36 holes into her heels while she was sedated and then putting in electrodes to zap electricity into the Achilles to repair the tears that she had. The last procedure was done in April of last year and she is JUST now starting to get rid of the pain in her heels to where she can walk significant distances pain free. We are leaving on the 23rd of September and taking a collapsible wheelchair for those days that get to be too much for her.

Be patient with the healing process on these ankles. You'll have good days and bad days. Definitely do not feel bad about letting people help you AND do not suffer people who do not understand what you are going through! Have a great cruise!

My wife had to have the Topaz Procedure done on both of her Achilles, one at a time, in two separate years - basically poking 36 holes into her heels while she was sedated and then putting in electrodes to zap electricity into the Achilles to repair the tears that she had. The last procedure was done in April of last year and she is JUST now starting to get rid of the pain in her heels to where she can walk significant distances pain free. We are leaving on the 23rd of September and taking a collapsible wheelchair for those days that get to be too much for her.

Be patient with the healing process on these ankles. You'll have good days and bad days. Definitely do not feel bad about letting people help you AND do not suffer people who do not understand what you are going through! Have a great cruise!

I had TOPAZ performed on November 21, 2017. (My heel looked like a plucked chicken. :D) I was walking well and pain-free on February 21, 2018, which is the day I ruptured my Achilles for the first time. :eek: Admittedly, the three month recovery from TOPAZ was very tough. I shed a lot of tears in those three months.

I had my three-week, re-rupture repair, post-op two days ago. I'm still non-weight bearing but, according to my surgeon, I have great plantar flexion (pointing toes) strength already. I started mild physical therapy today.

My next appointment is October 2. We'll see what's going on then.

I wish your wife well!

Which cruise are you sailing. Details! I want details!

I had TOPAZ performed on November 21, 2017. (My heel looked like a plucked chicken. :D) I was walking well and pain-free on February 21, 2018, which is the day I ruptured my Achilles for the first time. :eek: Admittedly, the three month recovery from TOPAZ was very tough. I shed a lot of tears in those three months.

I had my three-week, re-rupture repair, post-op two days ago. I'm still non-weight bearing but, according to my surgeon, I have great plantar flexion (pointing toes) strength already. I started mild physical therapy today.

My next appointment is October 2. We'll see what's going on then.

I wish your wife well!

Which cruise are you sailing. Details! I want details!

We'll be on the Vista out of Galveston heading to Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Coz. First time on Carnival and we're looking forward to the trip. We're driving down from K.C. leaving Friday afternoon and taking our time to get to the boat. I've already warned DW she can bring back almost any souvenir she wants EXCEPT a Jamaican cabana boy! LOL!!! After the cruise, we have a week to get home with stops in San Antonio, Dallas, and OKC.

She was only six weeks removed from surgery the last time we cruised so it was rough - she didn't have as much fun as she could have. She really was confined to the wheelchair almost all of the time so, yea, not so much fun. This time - we know pretty much what to expect even though it is a different line so we can be a lot more at ease.