Carnival Credit Card

cruiserll

We have the Carnival Mastercard. It came with an initial 50,000 points with use or something. The interest rate is high, 20 something %, but we also somehow got a HUGE credit limit, higher than any other card we've ever had. Is it worth it? Sure, if you pay it off each month like you said you would. PRO TIP: Make sure you use the points for Carnival or other subsidiaries on purchases over $1500. The points are worth 1.5x the amount they would be on smaller purchases.

Also, the Barclaycard app is actually pretty good as you can use points through the app.

There are better travel cards out there. We have the Carnival MasterCard because it got us a statement credit when we opened it. What I like about it is that all Carnival purchases earn double points and excursions pre-booked through Carnival automatically get a 10% discount. So, we use the card to book our cruise & excursions as well as using it for our onboard account. Then, when we get back from our trip, we turn around & use the points as a statement credit. The points don't expire, so you can always save them. I think they get to a point where they are worth more. Since we don't use that card for anything else, I typically use them when there is enough saved up.

I like mine. I use it often and pay it off each month. We're a cashless family, nobody in my house uses cash. I typically use the Carnival Mastercard for all of my purchases and pay it off each month and my wife uses the Southwest card and does the same thing. That way we earn points on everything. I do agree they have a high apr (I am at 15.74%)

I have one and my husband has one. We have two kids and we each got one kid an additional card in their name. We don't use the cards but the kids do. I do transfer their points in for cruise bar cash but it is really not very helpful. 5000 points is $50 in bar cash. And the interest rate is about 16% so everything must be paid off monthly.

I have one and my husband has one. We have two kids and we each got one kid an additional card in their name. We don't use the cards but the kids do. I do transfer their points in for cruise bar cash but it is really not very helpful. 5000 points is $50 in bar cash. And the interest rate is about 16% so everything must be paid off monthly.

$5,000 in spending on a 2% card would give you $100 in cash. I don't understand why people use these cruise cards, the returns are terrible.

$5,000 in spending on a 2% card would give you $100 in cash. I don't understand why people use these cruise cards, the returns are terrible.

Are they? I booked a $299.99 shore excursion and they rebated me back $30 (10%). Every time I buy FTTF it is 10% cheaper as well. You get double points on Carnival spending which means for $5000 I get back $100 in statement credit. (so 2%)

So if you use the Carnival Card for Carnival spending and do not carry a balance I think it is pretty decent.

Am I missing something with the math? It does not sound terrible to me.

You're not going to share any? :)

I’ll share. We use Sam’s Club Mastercard (Synchrony Bank)that pays cash back of 5% on gas purchases and 3% on travel and dining.

We use an Amazon Visa (Chase) that pays 5% cash back on Amazon purchases.

We use a Citibank MasterCard that pays 2% on everything else.

We run virtually all of our spending through these cards and pay them off every month. Actually my obsessive wife pays them off several times each month.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are they? I booked a $299.99 shore excursion and they rebated me back $30 (10%). Every time I buy FTTF it is 10% cheaper as well. You get double points on Carnival spending which means for $5000 I get back $100 in statement credit. (so 2%)

So if you use the Carnival Card for Carnival spending and do not carry a balance I think it is pretty decent.

A better deal might be 3% on ALL your travel (and dining), including your fare.

Edited by dsotm73

I’ll share. We use Sam’s Club Mastercard (Synchrony Bank)that pays cash back of 5% on gas purchases and 3% on travel and dining.

We run virtually all of our spending through these cards and pay them off every month. Actually my obsessive wife pays them off several times each month.

Thanks for sharing. The 3% on travel sounds nice for the Sam's Club card. Although it would take awhile to catch up to the Carnival card for pure Carnival purchases because Carnival gives you $100 right up front.

I guess there is no perfect card for everyone. I wouldn't personally have a card specifically to save 10% on excursions, but it works for you so that is ok I guess. As for the double points on Carnival spending, that is basically no different than a 2% card, except you get that on ALL spending.

Yes, you can get 5% here and 2% there on specific things, and for some people this may be worth it. But generally it's going to be best for most to just get 2% on everything and put everything on that card.

I do like the 5% Amazon card for those who actually do a ton of Amazon shopping.

For people that aren't spending a ton of money every year, just a simple 2% card is going to be easiest and sensible with solid return that usually comes out ahead.

We used to use our Carnival M/C but much better cards came along and now we use our Sams M/C for all travel and gas requirements. 3% trumps 2%

I guess there is no perfect card for everyone. I wouldn't personally have a card specifically to save 10% on excursions, but it works for you so that is ok I guess. As for the double points on Carnival spending, that is basically no different than a 2% card, except you get that on ALL spending.

Yes, you can get 5% here and 2% there on specific things, and for some people this may be worth it. But generally it's going to be best for most to just get 2% on everything and put everything on that card.

I do like the 5% Amazon card for those who actually do a ton of Amazon shopping.

For people that aren't spending a ton of money every year, just a simple 2% card is going to be easiest and sensible with solid return that usually comes out ahead.

I wouldn't disagree with that sentiment overall but the OP asked about the Carnival card in regards to using it for cruising purchases.

I have multiple cards and don't carry a balance on any of them and the Carnival one has been pretty decent for what I have used it for. Factor in the $100 initial gift, 10% discount, and 2% back on Carnival stuff with no annual fee and the card is pretty decent if you just use it for Carnival only purchases.(and it doesn't cost me anything to have it) If only they had an option to buy the Carnival gift cards at 10% off with the card and still earn double points. :)

Regarding Amazon, I am guessing you could also sign up for their affiliate program and run all your purchases through your own affiliate links to boost that % back even more. :) Not sure if that can still be done though.

We used to use our Carnival M/C but much better cards came along and now we use our Sams M/C for all travel and gas requirements. 3% trumps 2%

Like I said, factor in the $100 initial bonus and the 10% excursions discount and the math looks better. For example, if I go on 5 cruises and spend $100 on FFTF for all of them I am getting back $50. I would need to spend $5000 to make that up at 1% more cashback. (2% vs 3%) Factor in the original $100 bonus and I would need to spend $15000 on the 3% card to make it even.

I'm just looking at the math with the bonuses and such.

I wouldn't disagree with that sentiment overall but the OP asked about the Carnival card in regards to using it for cruising purchases.

I have multiple cards and don't carry a balance on any of them and the Carnival one has been pretty decent for what I have used it for. Factor in the $100 initial gift, 10% discount, and 2% back on Carnival stuff with no annual fee and the card is pretty decent if you just use it for Carnival only purchases.(and it doesn't cost me anything to have it) If only they had an option to buy the Carnival gift cards at 10% off with the card and still earn double points. :)

Regarding Amazon, I am guessing you could also sign up for their affiliate program and run all your purchases through your own affiliate links to boost that % back even more. :) Not sure if that can still be done though.

My thought is that for most people, trying to get that extra 1% here or there is really not worth the very low return. I need my Sams card for this or that, Amex for this, Carnival card for that, Amazon card for Amazon, Citi card for travel, etc. etc.

I think if the "average" person does the math, it's a VERY low return on all the extra fuss. And how many people have a Carnival card and put ALL their purchases on it? Or a Sams card and put everything on it, thinking they are still ahead with the 5% and 3%, but really are not... For people who spend quite a bit, it becomes more lucrative. But it's probably smart for most regular consumers to get a solid 2% card and not do the juggling act with so many different accounts.

Had a Carnival Card for a few years. Do not use it anymore as the only thing you get double points for is charges on Carnival and the others i use give double points of everything. You can get it and use the initial offering get the advantage and then put it away.