Survey Says: Begging for "10's" in MDR

wesp

So if someone rates food quality as a 5,

and rates the service as 8....

they should worry about the food quality

as the first priority....

You would think so, but witholding service charges makes money for them. Improving food quality probably costs money.

Improve the food quality and increase the fares, but that's different thread.

My recent survey asked me specifically if anyone had solicited a good review, and if I had answered yes it wanted to know their position.

That is excellent....my last cruise on the Harmony OTS was beyond incredibly bad in the MDR. VERY poor service in the MDR (we walked out on our final dinner in there after waiting for 1 1/2 hours for anything including bread??) It was unbelievable, but true, the Maitre'D sought us out on the Lido each and every night that we did not show up in the MDR after that. He just bribed and begged us so that we would rate the MDR as ALL 10's!! If I hadn't lived through this embarrassing (and quite frankly, harassing) treatment, I would not have believed it. So it is funny that the survey now asks if you were 'solicited' for 10's....that's GREAT!!!

I've been told by different dining room staff on different ships that the ratings they get from the survey affect how many tables they're assigned, which indirectly affects the tips they earn. As they get better ratings, they get to work more tables. As they get worse ratings, they get fewer tables.

So, in theory, a balance is found with the capabilities of each worker; they may oscillate a bit between more and fewer tables, of course. But in general each should find a sweet spot based on how well they provide whatever level of service people can be convinced to vote high numbers for.

It also doesn't really take a lot of effort to see how staffing levels are spread too thin in this system.

I've been told by different dining room staff on different ships that the ratings they get from the survey affect how many tables they're assigned, which indirectly affects the tips they earn. As they get better ratings, they get to work more tables. As they get worse ratings, they get fewer tables.

So, in theory, a balance is found with the capabilities of each worker; they may oscillate a bit between more and fewer tables, of course. But in general each should find a sweet spot based on how well they provide whatever level of service people can be convinced to vote high numbers for.

It also doesn't really take a lot of effort to see how staffing levels are spread too thin in this system.

That's fascinating . It's also a perfect illustration of The Peter Principle .

Don't get me started on ISO9001. Companies want you to believe it assures a quality product, but all it does is document how things should be done, so when its not good, they can point the employee who didn't follow the procedure.

Spot on, Bill. Actually had an advertiser tell our marketing director they'd "just add" the ISO9001 monicker on our ads for an extra fee - even though no one - nor the pharmaceutical company I worked for - were ever even certified.

• 8 months later...