Radiance or Ovation?

Hello there! My husband and I, along with my father-in- law and mother-in-law, are planning an Alaska cruise (our first!) for August/September of 2019.

Husband and I have only ever been on Oasis-sized ships. Myself, specifically - I get seasick very easily. Even on the Oasis class, hammering down Dramamine/Bomine/Ginger pills/wearing sea bands, I can still feel the motion of the waves on lower decks. It’s not terrible, and I can manage it, but it’s definitely present.

That being said... ROTS has a much better itinerary (in our opinion) for Alaska. We don’t much care for all the bells and whistles, but have chosen Oasis-class for our cruises so as not to risk my getting too sick. Ovation is much larger - obviously - but we’re just not impressed with the itinerary.

Would you risk the possibility of not feeling well for the better itinerary, or would you sail on a larger ship with the lesser itinerary? Also taking into account that ROTS has 1 more port day than Ovation, which in my head seems like one less day of a possibility of not feeling well.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would do Radiance and just did in May.:D I would also consider doing a land tour with it so you can see Denali National Park. We did a 4 night land tour prior to our south bound Radiance cruise. We also added a couple of days on our own before and after. It was a wonderful time. We did not have heavy seas at all but you can't predict that.

We are now looking at doing a 7 night on Ovation since the flights will be shorter but we will absolutely do Radiance again in the future.

We did Radiance two years ago and the ship and itinerary where phenomenal! That ship is made for Alaska with all of the glass areas.

We are doing Ovation next year and while not thrilled with the itinerary our cruising friends want the ship over the stops and being this will be trip 3 to Alaska I am ok with that.

If you haven't done Alaska before it is a simple answer...Radiance hands down.

Radiance (northbound) is our favorite for Alaska have done it a few times. The ship, itinerary & staff is always just amazing.

I wouldn't do the Ovation at all...not a good itinerary out of Seattle...too much time wasted and not a fan of that class ship at all.

Book the ROS...all of you will be glad you did.

Would you risk the possibility of not feeling well for the better itinerary, or would you sail on a larger ship with the lesser itinerary?

All other things being equal, the extra size of Ovation won't make much diff in terms of extra stability compared to Radiance.

Myself, specifically - I get seasick very easily.

The one and only time I sailed Quantum Class, it did not handle well in larger waves. many upper tier experienced cruisers mentioned how much they felt the roll & pitch in the same waters that other ships seemed to not roll around as much. I have not followed many Anthem reviews over the course of the last couple of years so I don;t know if that holds true. Merion_Mom would be the perfect person to chime in on this...

Having said that, Ovation will also sale about 100 miles off the west coast of Vancouver Island in the Pacific Ocean as she cannot traverse the British Columbia inside passage (ie. much calmer seas & superb views). The Pacific is very choppy out there, you will feel the ocean on any ship.

So regardless of the better itinerary Radiance provides, I too recommend the Radiance itinerary because of your sea-sickness. :)

I would say it would depend on if you are more interested in a round trip Alaska cruise (as Ovation does) or a one way (southbound/northbound) cruise that Radiance does.

We prefer Radiance route due to much more inland waterway viewing and ports.

To make it round trip...we simply booked B2B. ;)

I wouldn't think twice: Radiance over Ovation for Alaska, for all the reasons mentioned here and more.

I am actually surprised that they are sending Ovation to Alaska. I think that they are going for the curious-to-try crowd.

Another vote for the Radiance. With views from every venue, to include the elevator, it's a must for an Alaska cruise.

To the OP, I wish to add if itinerary is high on the criteria list, Ovation’s first Alaska sailing May 13 11 days is the only one I would consider over Radiance.

To the OP, I wish to add if itinerary is high on the criteria list, Ovation’s first Alaska sailing May 13 11 days is the only one I would consider over Radiance.

Agreed. We are doing that one and I am really looking forward to both the unique itinerary and the ship!

We weren't planning on cruising AK in back-to-back years but this sailing with 2 glaciers, 4 sea days, very affordable balcony prices, a newer ship, and the Vancouver to Seattle route was too good to pass up!:D

We weren't planning on cruising AK in back-to-back years but this sailing with 2 glaciers, 4 sea days, very affordable balcony prices, a newer ship, and the Vancouver to Seattle route was too good to pass up!:D

This 11 night sailing is the only way I could get DH to Alaska! He had no desire to go. I did Alaska (r/t Seattle) in 2010 with my daughter because he wouldn't go and I have been wanting to back ever since. DH loves all the bells and whistles of the newer ships and I love the itinerary, so here we are. It is a stretch to our vacation budget for this year, but well worth the add-on.;) Seven night sailings are too short for us nowadays, too.

This 11 night sailing is the only way I could get DH to Alaska! He had no desire to go. I did Alaska (r/t Seattle) in 2010 with my daughter because he wouldn't go and I have been wanting to back ever since. DH loves all the bells and whistles of the newer ships and I love the itinerary, so here we are. It is a stretch to our vacation budget for this year, but well worth the add-on.;) Seven night sailings are too short for us nowadays, too.

That's why we did B2B on Radiance. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have only been on Voyager and Ovation, just felt the Ovation was way too big and really did'nt like the set out of the ship, it just did'nt have that comfortable feeling and serenity that Voyager had. Voyager atmosphere was so much better. We are travelling on Radiance next year, Smaller than both the other ships and I am hoping it will have a good atmosphere, I would'nt go on the ovation again.