Router/Wifi extender

Has anyone used the above to get past the one device rule ?

I use one in hotels and campsites sometimes when you have a one device package the router connects and counts as your one device then you connect your other devices to the router. I wonder if it would work on the ship for the VOOM package ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love the out of the box thinking. I have a TP Link Extender that I'll take on my cruise at the end of September and report back minus all the speculation.

Nope, the ship's IT system still sees only one device connected and that's the only thing that matters.

it doesn't say what the ship will see it as. it says you cant have more than 1 device at a time.

you can look at the rules and say is doesn't specifically state that you cant use a router and when it says you cant use more than 1 device you interpret that as what the ship sees.

it says you cant have more than 1 device at a time. its specific and putting multiple devices in a router would have multiple devices at the same time breaking this rule

if you don't try to interpret the rule... its very clear

Actually no if you insist on using that analogy I am still getting one shot of vodka but split between 2 glasses. The volume is the same and the amount I am getting

But your only paying for one when you should at least be paying for two. No where does it say it’s for sharing. It’s stealing from Royal plan and simple. No argument you have can justify it.

Yes and no. You will still be limited to the allowed pipe to their system.

So if you are given a 1 megabit per second pipe, if you have 5 devices connected, they share that 1 megabit per second.

The big limitation will be range, as the steel walls will make it not usable beyond a short range from the router.

Your still denying Royal of the revenue for the additional devices. Keep making excuses.

As you insist on using food and drink comparisons the closest one is me buying a pint of beer from the bar and then making 2 half pints from that and handing one to a friend.

If consumed at the bar, the bar is likely to cease this practice. Royal charges by the device, period.

Why don’t you get supporting documentation fro Royal and post here. Tell them what your doing and see if they approve.

Yes, you do and it doesn't matter what you do to your pipe. Again, you can have one device streaming videos all day long or have 5 devices sharing that same single pipe, the amount of data coming out of the pipe will not be any more than the single device uses. The change in performance you may see is not due to others sharing their individual pipes, it's due many more pipes being used.

We totally disagree. Next time you are on the ship do a speed test at 4 PM. Then do one a 3 AM. The speed of the data delivered to you will be vastly different.

I'm just not sure why you think you have a personal device pipe. What you are saying is absolutely true if you had a dedicated personal connection, you don't.

It's obvious my technical explanation will not change your viewpoint but I respect your opinion and hope we can debate again soon.

But your only paying for one when you should at least be paying for two. No where does it say it’s for sharing. It’s stealing from Royal plan and simple. No argument you have can justify it.

Nowhere does it say I can’t share it

As you insist on using food and drink comparisons the closest one is me buying a pint of beer from the bar and then making 2 half pints from that and handing one to a friend.

Ok. How about you go to a buffet with you and one other. You only pay for one person and then share your buffet with the other. Same as trying to use multiple devices that Royal charges for each and sharing.

Nowhere in the VOOM info, on the VOOM sign up page or cruise contract is there any language prohibiting sharing a one device plan. Their lawyers are very good at putting language all over the place when they want to prohibit something.

Bring us documentation from Royal that this is ok. Why do people have a problem paying the fees?

If consumed at the bar, the bar is likely to cease this practice. Royal charges by the device, period.

Why don’t you get supporting documentation fro Royal and post here. Tell them what your doing and see if they approve.

I can’t find documentation anywhere that says I am allowed to crap in the toilet. Should I hold it in for the entire cruise ?

Actually no if you insist on using that analogy I am still getting one shot of vodka but split between 2 glasses. The volume is the same and the amount I am getting

same amount of vodka but 100% more glasses to wash, carry and have the potential for breakage so although the delivered product volume out of the bottle is the same the overhead cost is higher.

Similarly if one device on average uses <1mps for internet browsing so the AVERAGE devices in a 24 hour period consume some % of available bandwidth, 10 devices at 1MBS consume more bandwidth than the average single device.

I guess if enough people figure out how to use 1 connection for multiple simultaneous devices RC will move to a consumption model over x consumption.

Can you connect to the internet and login from your wireless router without using another device?

form http://www.******************.com/2017/02/07/guide-royal-caribbean-voom-wifi-internet-prices-and-tips

The primary means of connecting to the internet is via WiFi that prevalent throughout the ship. Guests with WiFi enabled devices may connect at any time for "stem to stern" coverage from anywhere, including your stateroom.

All guests need to do is connect to the Royal WiFi wireless network and then open a web browser and attempt to visit any web site. From that point, the Royal Caribbean WiFi login page will appear, with options to purchase an internet package or allow guests that already have a package to login.

What devices can access the internet?

Any internet device that can access a 802.11b wireless connection can connect to the internet. This include most smart phones, laptops and tablets.

Spoken like a true shareholder, unfortunately, unless specifically prohibited, no one is stealing anything.

Absolutely. Encouragement and providing info how to beat the system.... you need to get back on your motorized two wheels and enjoy some wind therapy.

Why do you want to deny Royal of their revenue. Ask Royal to provide documentation that it’s allowed.

Spoken like a true shareholder, unfortunately, unless specifically prohibited, no one is stealing anything.

I wasn't going to chime in but heaven help me here I am...

Specifically prohibited? One can not expect a document to take into account every detail. I would think that it is safe to say that Royal means a device as a unit that uses the service. Other wise they wouldn't have multiple device packages you would just pay one fee and log in as often as you want. What is being talked about doing is in fact theft of service. You can justify it all you want but call it what it is.

Oh and by the way the total numbers of share of stock in Royal Caribbean is Zero...

Yes, you may use as many devices as you like, but whichever plan you purchase will limit you to the number of devices that may be connected at the same time.

you can only use 1 device if you one pay for 1. Putting several devices on a router and using them at the same time is against this policy . It says the number of devices you buy has to equal the number of devices you use. if you have 2 phones hooked up to a router and use it at the same time. that is 2 devices at the same time which this rule says you cant do.

easily solved...

when you get on board and buy the package, go to guest services and tell them you are hooking up a router as '1 device' and then hooking up multiple devices to the router... I am sure they will tell you that its perfectly ok because the rules don't state that its not.

We totally disagree. Next time you are on the ship do a speed test at 4 PM. Then do one a 3 AM. The speed of the data delivered to you will be vastly different.

It's obvious my technical explanation will not change your viewpoint but I respect your opinion and hope we can debate again soon.

It has nothing to do with your technical explanation. The speed test results are not changed by someone else sharing their individual pipe. Your speed test result would be the same if your cabin neighbor was streaming a video on a single device or if he was surfing his phone along with his three kids in the same room connected to a router (which would use the same BW as the single device streaming the video). Again, the speed test change (which I have experienced many times) is simply due to more people being on line at 4PM vs. 3AM. Back to the pipe/water analogy, your water output drops because everyone else is opening their spigot, not because someone has more buckets under their own spigot.

Yes, you may use as many devices as you like, but whichever plan you purchase will limit you to the number of devices that may be connected at the same time.

you can only use 1 device if you one pay for 1. Putting several devices on a router and using them at the same time is against this policy . It says the number of devices you buy has to equal the number of devices you use. if you have 2 phones hooked up to a router and use it at the same time. that is 2 devices at the same time which this rule says you cant do.

Their logic (which I disagree with) is that the router is the device...flawed logic.