Router/Wifi extender

Yes and no. You will still be limited to the allowed pipe to their system.

So if you are given a 1 megabit per second pipe, if you have 5 devices connected, they share that 1 megabit per second.

The big limitation will be range, as the steel walls will make it not usable beyond a short range from the router.

Not sure Roysl cares about the pipe, they just want revenue from individual users.

If speed/bandwidth was really an issue to them, there would be massively different prices between the adequate stream speeds of an O3B ship and the inadequate speed of a non O3B ship.

Price pretty much the same

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I came to the same result. Despite searching I can’t find anything to say it isn’t allowed. If it isn’t allowed I am pretty sure they will have put a system in place to stop it as I can’t be the only one planning to do this and if that’s the case I will not be able to do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have you called C&A for clarification?

Yes, it is very clear, and the only one device is the router.
Will our GOOGLE Home Mini work onboard?

I couldn't get it to connect in March on Allure?

Will be on Harmony in September

Asking a generic question may not yield the right answer - you should ask the specific scenario outlined in this thread - using a router/extender to share a one device package. Also, the answer may depend on who you ask. Some upper level person who doesn't understand the specifics may give a different answer than the head IT person.
Had lunch with IT Manager of Serenade a week ago. Sorry that we only talked about the ports. And not the magic ones on a router

Have you called C&A for clarification?

We think we cleared it up a few posts ago about the rules after I managed to find some T&C's and posted them on here , have a read through and you should find it.

Seems it isn't allowed , however neither is letting someone else in your family use your one device log in on their devices.

Biker, where do I find this feature on my laptop with Win 10?

Just realize that if you go this route, the throughput is very inefficient. When I tested this at home, using a land based ISP, the devices connected to the laptop, got at best 20% of the speed (and about 400% of the ping) of the laptop. A dedicated router/extender would do much better.

Except 2,500+ passengers are using that same pipe not one house. You are not allocated individual bandwidth. All 'water' is shared. The more water you use the slower my bucket will fill up.

Which is what happens in the afternoon. Everyone's water flow is slowed to a trickle. At 2 AM the speed is great.

No, you are allocated a portion of that pipe.

But if there are many users, you may not get a full portion.

It is like the water system in your town. There is a BIG pipe that feeds an area. From that are smaller pipes to each house. Each house cannot get a flow equal to the big pipe, but only the max the smaller pipe will deliver. But if everyone in your area turns the water full on, you will get less than full flow.

And using a router is like multiple faucets in your house. You don't get any more flow to your house if you have multiple faucets, you only get what the pipe to the house will deliver.

Getting one plate of food, that only one person paid for, and splitting that between people who DIDN'T pay for the food.

You aren't paying for bandwith. You are paying for the right to connect a finite number of devices to the internet at once. With Royal's plan you can connect more than your paid for number of devices, but not at once. Not concurrently. You can share the password all you want, but only one can be logged in at a time.

And if you are paying by the plate, so what. Just did this last night. SO and I were out, we got ONE appetizer and ONE main, and shared them. Restaurant was fine with that.

You ARE paying for bandwidth. Each device connected is allocated a certain amount of bandwidth. No one cares how many devices connect to a network, only how much bandwidth they use.

Please show me that when I buy an internet connection from Royal, they are charging me for Bandwidth. They aren't. They are charging me for the right to a finitie number of concurrent connections. Thats it. No offer of the amount of bandwith I get. I get a certain number of connections. Period. Might get a lot of bandwidth, might get a little. All I know I'm getting is a connection.

But you are.

The company and the system does NOT care how many devices are connected. They are concerned with bandwidth.

There are two levels of connection, Surf and Stream. The difference is BANDWIDTH.

And what you are paying for is a MAXIMUM bandwidth. If there are too many users, everyone gets a bit less.

But again, someone with a router, is only using the bandwidth of ONE connection.

Your point is not true.

My point, you don't have a fixed individual pipe. If you did have an individual pipe then your data speed would be constant all day long, it's not. More devices attached to the shared pipe = less speed for each device. The ship has a fixed pressure connection, with limited capacity. So it does matter.

The top speed is determined by the wireless router which may be used by 100+ devices. The more devices on that router the slower you data will be delivered to you. It doesn't matter if those devices are located behind a personal router.

A pipe is a bad analogy anyway. The amount of water you get is determined by pressure, not the size. A four wire telephone circuit can operate from 100bps to T1. The size is the same. Cable TV; the size of the cable is the same but they sell you different speeds.

It's theft of service.

No, you pay for a maximum bandwidth, which may be lower at high use time.

Pipe analogy is actually good. Your water system works at a constant pressure, to flow IS directly related to pipe size. Yes, if you raise the pressure, you raise the flow, but you raise the flow on all the pipes.

Thanks everyone for the input. The only thing to do is try it. If it works I will report back with the results and instructions on how to do it

There was a thread a while ago about someone who tried it. It worked on some ships, it did not on a different one on a later cruise.

If consumed at the bar, the bar is likely to cease this practice. Royal charges by the device, period.

Why don’t you get supporting documentation fro Royal and post here. Tell them what your doing and see if they approve.

So you are saying that if I am not on a drink package, and buy a drink, that sharing it with my SO is stealing?

Or ordering one meal and sharing it in a restaurant is stealing?

REALLY?????????

We totally disagree. Next time you are on the ship do a speed test at 4 PM. Then do one a 3 AM. The speed of the data delivered to you will be vastly different.

I'm just not sure why you think you have a personal device pipe. What you are saying is absolutely true if you had a dedicated personal connection, you don't.

It's obvious my technical explanation will not change your viewpoint but I respect your opinion and hope we can debate again soon.

Because your analogy is wrong.

You have a MAXIMUM data rate. At high use times, everyone gets less.

And you obviously do not understand ANY data pricing.

So you are saying that if I am not on a drink package, and buy a drink, that sharing it with my SO is stealing?

Or ordering one meal and sharing it in a restaurant is stealing?

REALLY?????????

Not at all. However, if you have a drink package and your SO does not, sharing your drink with SO is stealing.

My meal comparison was on an all you can eat buffet. Getting one plate and sharing with others who have not paid. That too is stealing.

SRF, I thought you would have understood my posts.

If one is at a bar and buys a drink that is discounted the larger the volume, it’s likely meant for one. If so, sharing would also be stealing. Buy a pitcher and share. The bar would establish these guidelines.

REALLY????????

Because your analogy is wrong.

You have a MAXIMUM data rate. At high use times, everyone gets less.

And you obviously do not understand ANY data pricing.

It really has nothing to do with the pipe or the data. It has to do with the policy that Royal charges by the device. If two devices are in use at the same time, then there should be a charge for 2 devices.

Windows 10 Mobile Hotspot.

Step 1: Connect your PC to a Wifi network that you would like to share. The details of how you connect vary. A Hotel might have one way, Starbucks will have a different way. Once your laptop is connected you will see....

30517470018_6e632c3fc9_m.jpg

Step 2: Next, open Network & Internet Settings.

44384492661_8727357fb7_b.jpg

Step 3: Now select Mobile Hotspot. Here is where you will need to put in a Network Name and Network password. This is the name and password that you will connect to from your other devices.

44335909272_e798731bb3_b.jpg

Step 4: The final step. Turn it on!. At the top of the screen is a toggle switch, click it to turn it on. Now you connect other devices to this PC. You will see how many devices are connected, currently 0 of 8. All of the data will flow through this PC's connection to the internet and will be limited to whatever speed that PC could obtain by itself.

30517470208_ee89fd356d_c.jpg

This works for up to 8 devices within the limited range of your PC. It does not work very far inside a metal structure. My experience has shown it was only good enough for my room.

Dave

All of the data will flow through this PC's connection to the internet and will be limited to whatever speed that PC could obtain by itself.

As I mentioned, in my testing, the downstream devices get at best 20% of the PC speed (and ping rates go way up). If you are really desperate to share the WiFi signal, it will work, but performance will suffer, greatly.

Can I log off the first device from a second device? Like if a phone runs out of battery or is off, can I use my laptop to log the phone off so the laptop can use the internet?

On EOS I powered off device 1 in the morning w/o logging off and then connected on device 2.powering up device 1 in the morning and singing on to the network (kindle) kicked me off device 2 (phone)

• 1 month later...

Just an update to this thread. On IOS now with mini travel router and it’s working perfectly for all devices. I am not getting into another argument about the rights or wrongs of this just posting that it works!

Just an update to this thread. On IOS now with mini travel router and it’s working perfectly for all devices. I am not getting into another argument about the rights or wrongs of this just posting that it works!

What brand and model?

Isn’t this similar to sharing drinks using the drink package?

I was thinking the same thing! If Royal catches on to this they will probably say that if you purchase wifi, you must purchase for everyone in the room. UGH!